Sneak some Valentines Day Science into your valentines day theme with this fun and easy heart science project. Whether your child is a toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, or first grader – they will love this simple baking soda experiment with a fun twist for February 14th. So add this Valentines Day Activities for Kids to your plans and make learning FUN!
Heart science project
We love trying science experiments with vinegar. They are engaging for young children from toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students and produce a fun WOW effect to keep kids engaged. We want kids to know that Science is fun and interesting so we need to keep them wondering, exploring, hypothesizing. These Frozen Baking Soda Hearts did not disappoint! Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homechooler – you will love this fun valentines day ideas for school.
Baking soda experiments
It is fun when STEM can coincide with holidays or other exciting themes. Science is fun on its own but when you add in a fun theme, it’s even better. For this frozen Valentines Day activity, you’ll need:
- Baking Soda
- Food Coloring
- Glitter or conersation hearts
- Cookie Cutters, or molds
- A baking dish
- 2 bowls for mixing
Valentines Day Activities for Kids
Start this experiments with baking soda by coloring about a cup of water. We used red food coloring and mixed it together.
Next pour about a cup of baking soda in a bowl. Add in about a TBS at a time of the colored water and mix as you go. You want the consistency to be moldable. If you put a scoop in your hand and squeeze, it will hold its shape. If it is too watery, it will not work correctly.
Once the baking soda is mixed all the way, put the cookie cutters on a plate. Fill the cookie cutters half way with the baking soda mixture, and press in. Next add a layer of glitter. We used red. Then fill the rest of the cookie cutter with the baking soda mixture and press down. This should cover the glitter completely.
Put these into the freezer. We kept them in the freezer for about two hours.
Valentines day ideas for school
When you’re ready to experiment, take the baking soda hearts out of the freezer and pop them out of the cookie cutters. We had a hard time getting them out, so we ran a tiny bit of vinegar around the edges and they popped right out. Water may have worked too, but we tried vinegar.
Place the frozen hearts on a plate and grab your vinegar.
Valentines day activities for toddlers
We put the vinegar in squirt bottles to start, but ended up pouring out of the jug. Each way worked equally well.
We did little squirts at first to watch the bubble reaction, but when we became impatient for the big show, we poured more vinegar over the top. The hearts would start to melt and the glitter started dancing around.
Valentine’s day science
This was super fun and we will probably adapt and do for each season and holiday in the future!
Valentines Day Printables
- Valentines Day Activities for Kindergarten – “mail” upper and lowercase matching letters
- Cute Find the Letter Valentine’s Day Worksheets cookie jars, ABC Hole Punch Valentines activities for kindergarten, H is for Heart letter h worksheets
- ABC Valentine Worksheets for Preschool and kindergarten – letter alphabet book, Alphabet Valentine Preschool Worksheets – heart cookies, cute Valentine Roll and Cover Printable for preschoolers, and Valentines Alphabet game – letter heart puzzles
- Grab some converstion hearts with our free printable alphabet Valentines Day activities for preschoolers, counting to 20 Valentines Day Worksheets, or Valentines Day Math Activities -fractions/graphing/more, Free Snap Cubes Template cards for valenties day
- Lock and Key valentines activities for kids working on color recognition and Valentine matching game printable to work on number sense, Valentines Day Math word problems
- Count to 20 valentine math activities for preschoolers Clip Cards, Valentines Day Math Clip Cards numbers 11-20, chocolate shape Preschool valentine games, and Count to 10 Valentine math activities for preschoolers, Color by Hundreds Chart Happy valentine’s day mouse activities, and Valentines Day Math heart multiplication activity to practicing multiplying by 2s-12s with a self-checking activity for February
- Heart CVC Words Valentine activities for kindergarten and sight word Valentines Day Game
- Printable Valentines Day Counting Cards, free Valentines Day – Greather Than, and counting to 20 mail in this February activities for preschoolers
- Cactus valentine craft – free printable valentine activities for preschoolers to cut and paste
- Heart Fish Craft for Valentines Day, I spy Valentine Worksheet, free Pencil Valentine Printable, Hugs and Kisses Tic-tac-toe Preschool Valentine, free Valentine coloring pages for preschool, printable Valentines Day Pre-Writing Worksheets
- Sunday school valentine crafts about the ten commandments and simple Valentines day coloring pages pdf
- Grab these super cute valentine’s day coupons for your spouds or kids!
- Our kids favorite tradition! Grab these FREE printable Valentine Hearts on Bedroom Door to leave love notes for each other to read on February 14th!
Valentines Day Activities
- Have a blast with this outrageously fun Oobleck valentines day activitiies for preschoolers or this red valentines day oobleck version
- Free Valentines Day Printables with Stem challenges using Lego bricks or straw Valentine STEM activities
- Shimmery pink Slime Valentines recipe, purple Slime Valentines Day Activities for Preschoolers, or Red Hot Valentines Slime recipe for kids
- EASY baloon Science Valentines, Fizzy Love Potion Valentines Day Activities for Preschoolers
- Fun density jar Valentines Day Science Experiment (honey, corn syrup, maple syrup, hand soap, water, vegetable oil)or try this density valentines day science (corn syrup, whole milk, lavender dish soap, water, baby oil, rubbing alcohol)
- Quick and easy, February Fizzy Hearts Science Experiment, make salt crystal hearts Valentines Day Experiment, simple balloon static electricity experiments for kids
- Valentines Day Science with Magic Milk, Love Potion #9 Valentines Day activities for preschoolers, and Skittle Heart Science valentines day activities for toddlers
- 25 Epic Valentines Day Science Experiments for kids, Valentines Day Crafts for Kids, fun February Activities and 30 Fabulous February Crafts for kids of all ages
- Beautiful Matisse heart Valentines Art Projects, fingerprint heart tree Valentine art and craft ideas for preschoolers, bear treat cup Valentines Day Craft, and Valentine Cookie Bath for Kids
- Heart Sticker Valentine projects for toddlers, simple Valentines Day Countdown, heart Mobile Valentine’s day craft ideas, and simple Salt Painting Valentines Day activities for preschoolers with free templates
Science for Kids
- Quick and EASY Lemon Volcano – a fun twist on classic volcano science project using acidity of lemon instead of vinegar as the acid
- 100 Amazing Food science experiments for kids – arranged by type of science
- Colorful Capillary action science experiment (also known as walking water)
- EASY Magnetic Field Sensory Bottle that will WOW your kids!
- Leak Proof Bag – Amazing Science Experiment with Everyday Materials
- Exploring with Magnet Experiments for Kids
- Amaze kids with these 12 Hands on Science experiments with batteries
- 24 Epic Solar system science projects to try this week
- Fun Water balloon science experiment that explores density
- Amazing, heat-sensitive color changing slime
- 50 Fun Preschool science experiments the whole family will want to try
- Simple Galaxy science project
- Easy and Fun Dancing Raisins Experiment
- Learn about weather as you find how to make a weather vane
- Eye opening Eye science experiments
- Easy-to- make Air pressure science project
- Amazing POP rocks science experiment is one of our all-time favorite science experiments we like to do during the summer are
- Stunning Chromatography Flowers are so pretty you’ll forget it was as science project!
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – super easy and SO cool!
- 30 Simple machines science projects kids will want to try
- Easy, fascinating, and colorful project answering Why do Leaves Change Color Experiment
- Free Printable Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- 19 Edible science experiments – which delicious project will you try first?
- HUGE Free Solar System Unit (coloring pages, hands on science projects, worksheets, and more!)
- Pipe Cleaner Constellation Activity (As seen on Good Housekeeping!)
- Teach kids about conductivity with this fun squishy circuits projects
- Amazing, Heat Sensitive, Color Changing Slime
- Life Cycles for Kids (from penguin to sunflower and spider to turkey we have LOTS of life cycles to explore and learn about)
- EASY, Colorful Oil and Water Science Experiment
- Kids will be amazed as you change colors of white flowers with this Dying Flowers Science Experiment
- This super cool Lego Zipline is fun and simple to make
- Human Body Project
- Check out this super cool look INSIDE a Volcano Project
- Exploding Watermelon – science experiment that explores potential and kinetic energy with a big WOW moment!
- Memorable Life Size Skeletal system science project – includes free printable template
- Mind-Blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, BLAST OFF! Rocket Baking Soda and Vinegar Experiment
- Find LOTS more Easy Science Experiments for kids of all ages!