Sneak some Valentines Day Science into your valentines day theme with this fun and easy heart science project. Whether your child is a toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, or first grader – they will love this simple baking soda experiment with a fun twist for February 14th. So add this Valentines Day Activities for Kids to your plans and make learning FUN!
Heart science project
We love trying science experiments with vinegar. They are engaging for young children from toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students and produce a fun WOW effect to keep kids engaged. We want kids to know that Science is fun and interesting so we need to keep them wondering, exploring, hypothesizing. These Frozen Baking Soda Hearts did not disappoint! Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homechooler – you will love this fun valentines day ideas for school.
Baking soda experiments
It is fun when STEM can coincide with holidays or other exciting themes. Science is fun on its own but when you add in a fun theme, it’s even better. For this frozen Valentines Day activity, you’ll need:
- Baking Soda
- Food Coloring
- Glitter or conersation hearts
- Cookie Cutters, or molds
- A baking dish
- 2 bowls for mixing
Valentines Day Activities for Kids
Start this experiments with baking soda by coloring about a cup of water. We used red food coloring and mixed it together.
Next pour about a cup of baking soda in a bowl. Add in about a TBS at a time of the colored water and mix as you go. You want the consistency to be moldable. If you put a scoop in your hand and squeeze, it will hold its shape. If it is too watery, it will not work correctly.
Once the baking soda is mixed all the way, put the cookie cutters on a plate. Fill the cookie cutters half way with the baking soda mixture, and press in. Next add a layer of glitter. We used red. Then fill the rest of the cookie cutter with the baking soda mixture and press down. This should cover the glitter completely.
Put these into the freezer. We kept them in the freezer for about two hours.
Valentines day ideas for school
When you’re ready to experiment, take the baking soda hearts out of the freezer and pop them out of the cookie cutters. We had a hard time getting them out, so we ran a tiny bit of vinegar around the edges and they popped right out. Water may have worked too, but we tried vinegar.
Place the frozen hearts on a plate and grab your vinegar.
Valentines day activities for toddlers
We put the vinegar in squirt bottles to start, but ended up pouring out of the jug. Each way worked equally well.
We did little squirts at first to watch the bubble reaction, but when we became impatient for the big show, we poured more vinegar over the top. The hearts would start to melt and the glitter started dancing around.
Valentine’s day science
This was super fun and we will probably adapt and do for each season and holiday in the future!
Valentines Day Worksheets
Looking for more way to make learning fun during February? Kids will LOVE these Valentine’s Day themed, educational activities. Plus, all of these are free printables.
- These Valentine’s day worksheets allow preschoolers to practice math and literacy with super cute printables that are NO PREP!
- Color by Letter to decorate these cookies with these fun Valentine Worksheets for Preschool
- Make your own Alphabet Book from A to Z with these Valentine’s Day Worksheets to color, read, and learn
- ABC Hole Punching for Valentines Day – preschoolers will have fun working on letter recognition as they use a hole punch with this free printable for February.
- Alpahbet Valentines – kids will have fun preparing Valentines with this fun activity that works on beginning sounds, tracing letters, and matching uppercase and lowercase letters.
- Super cute Valentines Day Activity sorting mail by parts of speach!
- Rhyming Valentines cut and paste printables – these heart workshets are a fun way for kids to practice identifying rhyming words
- Valentines Day Math Clip Cards – practice counting numbers 11-20 with these cute, low prep clip cards
- Our kids favorite tradition! Print out these Valentines Day Printables and leave love notes for each other to read on February 14th!
- Pencil Valentine Printable – super cute free printable “looking sharp” Valentine for kids
- Sneak in some fun writing practice with these Febraury Writing Prompts Calendar
- Practice spelling with this fun, engaging and FREE Printable Valentine’s Day Spelling Activity
- Valentines Day I Spy Printable – this is a fun valentiens day activity that also works on counting and visual discrimination at the same time
- Practice sounding out and spelling short i words with this Heart themed spelling mats.
- Valentine’s Day ABC Hole PunchingActivity – kids will strengthen hand muscles while working on letter recognition
- Valentine sight word coloring pages – kids will have fun reading and gaining fluency with key sight words while revealing these mystery pictures
- A-Z Valentine’s Day Worksheets is fun for kids to practice making capital letters using conversation hearts!
- Practice forming simple words with this Kindergarten Valentines Day CVC word mats
- Make practicing preschool sight words fun with this Chocolate Box Valentine Activities for Preschoolers
Valentines Day Math
Looking for some fun valentines day math activities, free Valentines day worksheets, and other ideas to learn in February – check these out!
- Count to 20 with these cute Valentine Math Clip Cards
- Practice counting to 10 with this Valentine Math Puzzles for pre-k
- Valentines Day Color by Number – students will reveal hidden pictures as they color by number and work on number recognition
- Free Valentine’s Day Tracing Worksheets for Preschoolers – kids will have fun working on hand muscles as they trace these common February items in these tracing worksheets.
- February Color by Number – work on number recognition as students reveal mystery pictures as they color.
- Count and Trace Valentines Day Worksheets with conversation hearts
- FUN, Self-checing Multiplication Valentine Math Activity for Kids
- Work on fractions, percent, and measurement with these Valentines Fractions Worksheets
- Color by Hundreds Chart Happy valentine’s day mouse activities
- Handy Valentines Day themed Odd and Even Numbers Worksheets
- Valentines Day Number Book – kids will have fun practicing counting with conversation hears as they make a free printable book.
- Kids will have fun practicing addition and subtraction with this clever,Valentine’s day math craft.
- Help kids work on symmetry for kids with these Valentine’s Day Worksheets
- Free Valentine’s day math worksheets – kindergartners will have fun practicing numbers to 100 while they reveal hidden images with these Valentines Day coloring pages
- Use snap cubes with this free printable Valentine Math activity for kindergarten and first graders
- Fun Lock and Key Color Matching Game for toddlers and preschoolers
- Work on making common shapes with these super cute Chocolate Shape Playdough Mats
- Love Potion – Valentines Day Science
- Tic-Tac-Toe Printable Valentine Cards
- Conversation Heart Ooblek – FUN Valentines Day Activity for Kids
- Salt Painting Valentines Day Activity
- EASY Skittles Valentines Day Science Activities
- Happy Slime-tines – Free Printable Valentines Day Cards
- EASY Static Electricity Balloon Experiment
- Practice shapes with this hands-on Valentines Day STEM Activities
- Fizzy Heart Science Project – Valentines Day Activities for Kids
- Add some Valentines Day Science with this super cool and EASY Dancing Hearts Experiment
- Try these FUN Valentine Science Experiments for kids of all ages
- Salt crystal hearts Science Experiment perfect for February
- Plus don’t miss these fun Valentines Books to cuddle up and read this February
- Heart Fish Craft for Valentines Day – kids will have fun cutting and pasting lots of hearts to make this adorable fish craft
- Fingerprint Hearth Tree Valentines Day Craft is super cute and such a precious keepsake craft
- Bear treat cup Valentines Day Craft is cute and practical too
- Red Hot Valentines Slime is so pretty and fun to play with!
- Try this EASY Chocolate playdough recipe to make your creations look like valentines day candy!
- Beautiful Valentines Art Projects – Matisse Style heart craft for kids
- Super cute Heart Mobile Valentines Day Craft for Preschoolers
- Cactus valentine craft – this is such a fun cut and paste Valentines Day Craft for kids
- 30 February Crafts for Kids – so many fun, clever crafts to fill the whole month of February
- Don’t miss these fun February activities for kids