Have your kids ever played with Oobleck? Oobleck is a fascinating non-newtonian fluid that has properties of both a liquid and a solid! It really is a fascinating science experiment for kids to play and explore. We made a fun valentines day science variation of ooblek so for a really fun valentines day activity for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students. Use this in your valentine’s day theme, exploring states of matter in science, or as a fun valentines day ideas.
Valentines Day Science
Whip up a batch of oobleck as a silly and fun Valentines Science for a February science project or is just fun to play with. It is also a fun book based activity to go with Dr Seuss Bartholomew and the Oobleck. Oobleck is a really intesrting play recipe as this non-Newtonian fluid has both properties of liquids and solids. You can slowly dip your hand into it like a liquid, but if you squeeze the oobleck or punch it, it will feel solid. Toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students will giggle with delight at this outrageously fun valentines day activities for kids!
You only need a couple simple supplies you probably already have at home:
- spoon or whisk
- food coloring
- conversation hearts
- cookie cutters (optional)
You can make this non-neutian fluid by mixing 1 cup cornstarch with 1 – 1 1/2 cups water and pink food coloring. To tweak your oobleck recipe, it should not be too crumply, rather you sould be able to make it into a ball in your hand and then when you realease and open your hand – the ooblek will start oozing and sliming out flat.
Stir until you have the right consisteny. We started with a purple, but by the time we mixed in all the cornstarch it turned out to be more of a pink color. Making oobleck is really simple, right?
If you squeeze the dough it will form a solid ball.
Now stop squeezing the mixture. The oobleck dough will turn back into a solid when the pressure is released.
Valentines day activities for preschoolers
We had fun adding conversation hearts to the mixture. Not only was it so pretty, but it was fun to play with too.
Valentines Day Activity
Oobleck is fun to ooze like slime, but if you pick it back up and squeeze it will turn back into a solid. Seriously – this valentines day activity for toddlers is so much fun!
Fun valentines day ideas
Touch the surface lightly and it will feel firm and solid. If you apply more pressure, your fingers will sink into it like a liquid. This is such a fun, easy play recipe for valentines day.
Valentines day science
- Love Potion – Valentines Day Science
- Oobleck Valentines Day Activity for Kids.
- Glittery Purple Valentine Slime
- Balloon Valentines Day Science Experiment
- Love Potion #9 Valentine’s Day Science Activity
- Valentines Day Slime
- Valentines Day Magic Milk Science Experiment for Preschoolers
- Layered Liquids Density Experiments for Valentines Day
- Salt Painting Valentines Day Activity
- Skittles Valentines Day Science Activities
- EASY Static Electricity Balloon Experiment
- Practice shapes with this hands-on Valentines Day STEM Activities
- Density for Kids Science Experiment for Valentines Day
- Fizzy Heart Science Project – Valentines Day Activities for Kids
- Oil and Water Valentines Day Activity for Preschoolers
- Add some Valentines Day Science with this super cool and EASY Dancing Hearts Experiment
- Conversation Heart Ooblek – FUN Valentines Day Activity for Kids
- Try these FUN Valentine Science Experiments for kids of all ages
- Salt crystal hearts Science Experiment perfect for February
Valentines Day Worksheets
Looking for more way to make learning fun during February? Kids will LOVE these Valentine’s Day themed, educational activities. Plus, all of these are free printables.
- These Valentine’s day worksheets allow preschoolers to practice math and literacy with super cute printables that are NO PREP!
- Color by Letter to decorate these cookies with these fun Valentine Worksheets for Preschool
- Make your own Alphabet Book from A to Z with these Valentine’s Day Worksheets to color, read, and learn
- ABC Hole Punching for Valentines Day – preschoolers will have fun working on letter recognition as they use a hole punch with this free printable for February.
- Alpahbet Valentines – kids will have fun preparing Valentines with this fun activity that works on beginning sounds, tracing letters, and matching uppercase and lowercase letters.
- Super cute Valentines Day Activity sorting mail by parts of speach!
- Rhyming Valentines cut and paste printables – these heart workshets are a fun way for kids to practice identifying rhyming words
- Valentines Day Math Clip Cards – practice counting numbers 11-20 with these cute, low prep clip cards
- Our kids favorite tradition! Print out these Valentines Day Printables and leave love notes for each other to read on February 14th!
- Pencil Valentine Printable – super cute free printable “looking sharp” Valentine for kids
- Sneak in some fun writing practice with these Febraury Writing Prompts Calendar
- Practice spelling with this fun, engaging and FREE Printable Valentine’s Day Spelling Activity
- Valentines Day I Spy Printable – this is a fun valentiens day activity that also works on counting and visual discrimination at the same time
- Practice sounding out and spelling short i words with this Heart themed spelling mats.
- Valentine’s Day ABC Hole PunchingActivity – kids will strengthen hand muscles while working on letter recognition
- Valentine sight word coloring pages – kids will have fun reading and gaining fluency with key sight words while revealing these mystery pictures
- A-Z Valentine’s Day Worksheets is fun for kids to practice making capital letters using conversation hearts!
- Practice forming simple words with this Kindergarten Valentines Day CVC word mats
- Make practicing preschool sight words fun with this Chocolate Box Valentine Activities for Preschoolers
Valentines Day Math
Looking for some fun valentines day math activities, free Valentines day worksheets, and other ideas to learn in February – check these out!
- Count to 20 with these cute Valentine Math Clip Cards
- Practice counting to 10 with this Valentine Math Puzzles for pre-k
- Valentines Day Color by Number – students will reveal hidden pictures as they color by number and work on number recognition
- Free Valentine’s Day Tracing Worksheets for Preschoolers – kids will have fun working on hand muscles as they trace these common February items in these tracing worksheets.
- February Color by Number – work on number recognition as students reveal mystery pictures as they color.
- Count and Trace Valentines Day Worksheets with conversation hearts
- FUN, Self-checing Multiplication Valentine Math Activity for Kids
- Work on fractions, percent, and measurement with these Valentines Fractions Worksheets
- Color by Hundreds Chart Happy valentine’s day mouse activities
- Handy Valentines Day themed Odd and Even Numbers Worksheets
- Valentines Day Number Book – kids will have fun practicing counting with conversation hears as they make a free printable book.
- Kids will have fun practicing addition and subtraction with this clever,Valentine’s day math craft.
- Help kids work on symmetry for kids with these Valentine’s Day Worksheets
- Free Valentine’s day math worksheets – kindergartners will have fun practicing numbers to 100 while they reveal hidden images with these Valentines Day coloring pages
- Use snap cubes with this free printable Valentine Math activity for kindergarten and first graders
- Fun Lock and Key Color Matching Game for toddlers and preschoolers
- Work on making common shapes with these super cute Chocolate Shape Playdough Mats
- Plus don’t miss these fun Valentines Books to cuddle up and read this February
- Heart Fish Craft for Valentines Day – kids will have fun cutting and pasting lots of hearts to make this adorable fish craft
- Fingerprint Hearth Tree Valentines Day Craft is super cute and such a precious keepsake craft
- Bear treat cup Valentines Day Craft is cute and practical too
- Red Hot Valentines Slime is so pretty and fun to play with!
- Try this EASY Chocolate playdough recipe to make your creations look like valentines day candy!
- Beautiful Valentines Art Projects – Matisse Style heart craft for kids
- Super cute Heart Mobile Valentines Day Craft for Preschoolers
- Cactus valentine craft – this is such a fun cut and paste Valentines Day Craft for kids
- 30 February Crafts for Kids – so many fun, clever crafts to fill the whole month of February
- Don’t miss these fun February activities for kids
Looking for some cute and FREE printable valentines to share with your friends? Check out these homemade valentines for kids:
- Tic-Tac-Toe Printable Valentine Cards
- Pencil Valentine Printable
- Happy Slime-tines – Free Printable Valentines Day Cards