Need to review the CVCe or magic e syllable? These free printable magic e worksheets allow kindergarten and first graders to practice identifying words with a magic e, or secret spy letter e like we called them in my homeschool, with free phonics worksheets. These pages are a fun way to review the skill. Simply print the silent e worksheets and you are ready to play and learn!
Magic e Worksheets
Grab this magic e worksheet set to practice identifying, reaidng, and spelling CVCe words. These silent e worksheet set have a fun valentine’s Day theme to make practicing with kindergartners and grade 1 FUN! My little girl has worked so hard on her reading. We have slowly worked our way through five of the six syllables, but when she is reading there is one syllable that seems to trip her up a lot. And that is the CVCe or magic e syllable. Most the time when she comes to these special words, she uses the short vowel sound. So today, I wanted to create something to help her focus on the magic e and when it is needed.
Silent e worksheets
Why do we focus on syllables? Well, every syllable has a vowel, and the vowel acts differently depending on its type.
Closed-door syllables – In a closed-door syllable, the vowel makes a short sound. These are the words we begin teaching our little ones first like cat, dog, pig, ten, or hug. But we find them in multi-syllable words too like rab/bit cob/web. For a syllable to a closed-door syllable, there needs to be a consonant after the vowel closing that vowel in.
Open door syllables – This is the opposite of a closed door. There isn’t a consonant after the vowel, and the vowel makes the long sound. (ho/tel, he/ro)
R-Controlled vowels – These are vowels that are followed by an r, and you do not hear the vowel.
- ar – car, far, seminar,
- er, ir, ur – her, girl, fur, teacher
- or – or, torch, anchor, sensor
Vowel teams – this is a tough one because there are soooooo many of these. But basically, this is when two vowels come together to make a new sound. It could be a long vowel sound like ee in sheep. It could be a totally different sound like oy in joy. Or they can even make a short sound like the ea in bread.
CVCe – Finally, we get to the one we are going to focus on today. The consonant, vowel, consonant, magic e syllable. This is when we add an e to the end of a word or syllable, and the vowel makes the long sound.
- tap changes to tape
- hop changes to hope
- kit changes to kite
Magic e words worksheets
This worksheet is a fun way to help children remember that when an e is added to the end of a word or syllable, the vowel makes the long sound.
Magic e words worksheets
- First, have your little ones cut out the hearts at the bottom of the page.
- Next, have them say the name of the picture in the first square.
- Now, have them read the word in the second box. Help them remember that without the e, that all the words are closed syllable words. Therefore, the written word will have a short sound.
- If the word they read matches the picture, they just write the word in the final box,
- If the word does not match the picture, then have them glue on the e.
- Now, reread the word. Remind them that when we add a magic e, the vowel now makes the long vowel sound. Does it match now?? If so, have them write the word in the final box.
- When they have done this to each word, you can let them color the paper to get in some extra fine motor practice.
Valentines Day worksheets
And that is it. A simple Valentine’s Day magic e worksheet to practice reading and writing closed-door words and CVCe words.
Valentines Day Alphabet
- Valentines Day Activities for Kindergarten – students will have fun getting valentines ready to “mail” while matching upper and lowercase letters while working on phonemic awareness and beginning sounds.
- Cute Find the Letter Valentine’s Day Worksheets with alphabet candy in the cookie jars
- ABC Hole Punch Valentines activities for kindergarten – kids will strengthen hand muscles while working on letter recognition
- H is for Heart Worksheets – practie tracing and writting the letter h.
- ABC Valentine Worksheets for Preschool and kindergarten – kids will have fun learning new vocabulary and practicing tracing upper and lowercase letters as they make their very own alphabet book.
- Alphabet Valentine Preschool Worksheets – with a free pritnable alphabet worksheet for each letter from A to Z, help kids work on letter recognition while decorating these heart cookies (pictured above)
- Valentines Alphabet game – kids will have fun matching upper and lowercase letter heart puzzles
- Grab some converstion hearst and our printable alphabet pages for a fun, hands-on Valentines Day activities for preschoolers
Valentines Day Math
- Valentines Day Worksheets with Snap Cubes – with two levels of difficulty these cards help kids practice using logic and spatial reasoning
- Free Snap Cubes Template cards for valenties day
- Lock and Key valentines activities for kids – kids will have fun working on color recognition with this fun, Valentine’s Day matching game
- Valentine matching game printable – fun game to help kids work on number sense
- Count to 20 valentine math activities for preschoolers Clip Cards- kids will have fun practicing counting using a ten frame with this fun math activity for prek / kindergartners
- Chocolate Shape Preschool valentine games – kids will have fun practicing forming shapes with these chocolate shape playdough mats.
- Count to 10 Valentine math activities for preschoolers – young learners will have practicing counting sprinkles and matching the puzzles
- Super cute Valentine Roll and Cover Printable for preschoolers
- Color by Hundreds Chart Happy valentine’s day mouse activities
- Valentines Day Math – fun heart multiplication activity to practicing multiplying by 2s-12s with a self-checking activity for February
- Count and Trace Valentine’s Day Counting Worksheets with conversation hearts
- Valentines Day Math Clip Cards – practice counting numbers 11-20 with these cute, low prep clip cards
- Printable Valentines Day Counting Cards – these cute Valentines Day Counting Cards are great for young learners
- Free Valentines Day Math Activities with conversation hearts – includes free printables to work on fractions, graphing, and more!
- Valentines Day – Greather Than Activity using valentines day candy!
- Practice counting to 20 and tracing numbers as you prepare the mail in this February activities for preschoolers
Valentines Day Activities
- Have a blast with this outrageously fun Oobleck valentines day activitiies for preschoolers or this red valentines day oobleck version
- Grab this Free Valentines Day Printables with Stem challenges using Lego bricks
- Shimmery pink Slime Valentines recipe kids will love!
- Grab some pretty straw for this Valentine STEM activities
- Find lots of fun February Activities for kids here!
- EPIC Purple Slime Valentines Day Activities for Preschoolers
- Red Hot Valentines Slime recipe for kids
Valentines Day Crafts & Activities
- 30 Fabulous February Crafts for kids of all ages
- Valentines Day Crafts for Kids – even more unique and creative heart crafts for kids
- Beautiful Valentines Art Projects – Matisse Style heart craft for kids
- 30 February Crafts for Kids – so many fun, clever crafts to fill the whole month of February
- Fingerprint Heart Tree is such a cute Valentine art and craft ideas for preschoolers
- Bear treat cup Valentines Day Craft is cute and practical too
- Valentine Cookie Bath for Kids
- Heart Sticker Valentine projects for toddlers – super cute and precious Valentines Day craft for kids
- Learn about famous artists with this beautiful Matisse Valentines Art Project
- 26 Valentines Day Projects for Kids to make with their hands
- 21 Conversation Heart Crafts for Kids – kids will have fun crafting with this traditional valentine candy
- Valentines Day Countdown Craft for kids
- H is for heart worksheeet and simple hand art craft
- Heart Mobile Valentine’s day craft ideas – super cute and simple craft for February
- Simple Salt Painting Valentines Day activities for preschoolers with free templates
Silent e worksheets pdf
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All materials provided on this blog is copyright protected.
>> Bossy E Worksheets <<
These are awesome and very helpful