If your child is working on er Phonics they will probabaly need lots of practice to learn phonics er words. This fun, hands-on er phonics words game is a great way to work on reading words. Simply print er phonics activity and you are ready to play and learn! Use this er sound phonics with kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd graders too.
Phonics er Words
Need a simple, free printable phonics game to practice r- controlled vowel “er”? This black out phonics er words game gets children reading “er” words. This er sound phonics is perfect for kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students who are working on improving reading and spelling skills.
Bossy R or R-Controlled Vowels. They are a fun part of teaching children to read and spell words. And right now, my twins are working through the different sounds that these r-controlled vowels make. Right now we are on the “er” words, and I created this game to add a little fun to reading these fun words.
er Phonics Words
As I’m teaching my little ones to read, one thing we focus on alot is syllable types. We’ve learned all about open and closed doors and then magic e syllable.
But now we are faced with the r-controlled vowels or bossy r syllables. What is an r-controlled vowel? When a vowel is followed by an R, the sound of the vowel often changes. In fact many times you don’t even hear the vowel, just the “r” sound. Hince, bossy or r-controlled.
You will find three main r-controlled vowel sounds:
FIrst, is the /ar/ sound, as in barn.
The /or/ sound, as in corn;
The /er/ sound, as in fern. Unfortunelty, you will also hear this sound in words spelled with /ur/ as in burn, or /ir/ as in bird. But we will focus on the /ur/ and /ir/ in later lessons.
Today, is all about playing a game that will help our little ones practice reading words with the letters /er/ in them.
er Sound Phonics
This game is a very low prep game, but is a fun way to get our little ones reading “er” words.
- First print off one board game per two players, and then one “bingo” board for each player.
- Next, place the “bingo” board into a sheet protector or laminate.
- Finally, gather up a dry erase marker, die, and game piece.
er sound phonics
To play this game players place their game pieces on the bright yellow star. The player take turns rolling the die and moving around the game board.
When they land on a word, they must read that word outloud.
Then they look for the word on their “bingo” board. When they find it they get to cross it off with their dry erase marker. (You could also have them cover it up with blocks, but I like to get a little fine motor practice in.)
You get to choose who wins:
- The first person to cross off all the words on their boards.
- The first person to get three in a row.
- Or set a timer. When the timer goes off the person with the most crossed off wins.
Either way, the children will have practiced reading numerous “er” words in a fun way.
Looking for more blends activities for young learners? You will love these resources:
- Final Consonant Ending Blends Games
- Practice Consonant Blends with cute printable puzzles
- Slide and Read Blends Activity
- Beginning Blends Fall Activities for 1st Grade
- Blue Bird Sorting Blends Activity
- Read and Color Ending Blends Worksheets
- Mitten Initial Blends Winter Activities for 1st Grade
- Initial Blends Matching Game for kids
- Do a Dot Ending Blends Worksheet
- Ending Blends Bingo Dauber Worksheets
- Ch, Sh, Th Digraph Game
- Read and Clip Consonant Blends Activities
- Handy L Blends Worksheets with magenetic letters
- Graph a Blends Activities for 2nd graders
- Floss Rule Worksheets
- Free Printable Color by Blend Worksheet
- Ending S Blends Clip Cards
- Printable nk Ending Blends Clip Cards
- NG Words for Kids Game
- BIngo Dabber ng and nk worksheets
- Th Worksheets – Read th blends in sentences
- R Controlled Vowel Worksheets
- Free printable Blends Worksheets with dot markers
- See all of our blends activities here
- Cut-and-Paste Trigraphs Worksheets
- Color and Read Book with Trigraphs List for practicing trigraphs pr, squ, and str
- Free Readers to Color and Read MORE words from Trigraphs List
- thr words Playdough Mats
- Car Bump Phonics ar Words Game – R Controlled
- Hot Cocoa Phonics makes fun winter activities for kindergarten
- Phonics Beginning Sounds Worksheets are a NO prep kindergarten worksheets to improve phonics skills.
- Christmas Phonics by making a Christmas trees by putting together words with the same beginning sounds.
- TH Worksheets – re-usable activity to help kids work on th sounds
- Mitten Beginning Sounds Matching is a fun Winter Activities for Kindergarten –
- Spring activities Kindergarten for working on consonant blends with digraph blends
- Ice Cream Themed Digraph kindergarten summer activities – sneak in some summer learning to improve reading skills with these cute, educational puzzles.
- Clip Cards are a fun Consonant blends activities – help kids learn to combine letters to make digraph sounds
- Spring Initial Blends Worksheets – super cute activity for helping kids master blends
- Graph a blends activities for 2nd graders – fun combination of math and language arts
- Color by blend worksheet – this is a fun way for kids to practice learning blends
- Consonant Blend Cluster Spelling Mats – hands on activity learning blends
- Kindergarten Word Families Sliders – help kids practice sounding out blends in words with this fun, transportation themed reading activity for early readers.
- Reading and Writing qu words Worksheets
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Lots of fun Chapter Books for 1st Graders wth free printable list
- Free Book Report Template to print and use with any book
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets make learning FUN!
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Free Sight Words Printable List
- 1st Grade Word Search Printable
- Free Printable 1st grade math worksheets to print and practice
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of FREE Kindergarten Writing Prompts
- Cut and Paste Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Telling Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE 250+ page Unit with activities, experiments, information, and Ocean Animal Worksheets
- Discover 16 amazing places around the world with these Country worksheets Study
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal printables with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!