If your child is working on er Phonics they will probabaly need lots of practice to learn phonics er words. This fun, hands-on er phonics words game is a great way to work on reading words. Simply print er phonics activity and you are ready to play and learn! Use this er sound phonics with kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd graders too.
Phonics er Words
Need a simple, free printable phonics game to practice r- controlled vowel “er”? This black out phonics er words game gets children reading “er” words. This er sound phonics is perfect for kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students who are working on improving reading and spelling skills.
Bossy R or R-Controlled Vowels. They are a fun part of teaching children to read and spell words. And right now, my twins are working through the different sounds that these r-controlled vowels make. Right now we are on the “er” words, and I created this game to add a little fun to reading these fun words.
er Phonics Words
As I’m teaching my little ones to read, one thing we focus on alot is syllable types. We’ve learned all about open and closed doors and then magic e syllable.
But now we are faced with the r-controlled vowels or bossy r syllables. What is an r-controlled vowel? When a vowel is followed by an R, the sound of the vowel often changes. In fact many times you don’t even hear the vowel, just the “r” sound. Hince, bossy or r-controlled.
You will find three main r-controlled vowel sounds:
FIrst, is the /ar/ sound, as in barn.
The /or/ sound, as in corn;
The /er/ sound, as in fern. Unfortunelty, you will also hear this sound in words spelled with /ur/ as in burn, or /ir/ as in bird. But we will focus on the /ur/ and /ir/ in later lessons.
Today, is all about playing a game that will help our little ones practice reading words with the letters /er/ in them.
er Sound Phonics
This game is a very low prep game, but is a fun way to get our little ones reading “er” words.
- First print off one board game per two players, and then one “bingo” board for each player.
- Next, place the “bingo” board into a sheet protector or laminate.
- Finally, gather up a dry erase marker, die, and game piece.
er sound phonics
To play this game players place their game pieces on the bright yellow star. The player take turns rolling the die and moving around the game board.
When they land on a word, they must read that word outloud.
Then they look for the word on their “bingo” board. When they find it they get to cross it off with their dry erase marker. (You could also have them cover it up with blocks, but I like to get a little fine motor practice in.)
You get to choose who wins:
- The first person to cross off all the words on their boards.
- The first person to get three in a row.
- Or set a timer. When the timer goes off the person with the most crossed off wins.
Either way, the children will have practiced reading numerous “er” words in a fun way.
R Controlled Vowel Practice
- Start by grabbing this R Controlled Syllable Word Lists
- Car Bump ar Phonics Games
- er Phonics Printable Game
- 5-in-a-Row /ir/ R Controlled Vowels Games
- Snowman R-Controlled Vowel Syllable
- Tic-tac-toe /or/ R Controlled Vowel Games
- R Controlled Vowels Worksheets (freebie)
- Flower R-Controlled Vowel Activity
- Cut-and-paste R Controlled Vowels Worksheets
- Doctor R controlled vowel sort where or sound words say /er/
- Or see all our r controlled vowel activities here!
- Printable Trigraph Reader – with trigraph word list pdf or Ending Blends Activities – lp, ld, lk, lf, lt Game
- Free Printable Long Vowel Games and Trace and Color by Blend Worksheet
- Short Vowel Worksheets and Transportation Word Family Sliders
- Long Vowel Worksheets or Crack The Code CVC Word Worksheets
- L Blends Worksheets or Beginning Sounds Games
- Free Printable Short a Books and Middle Sound CVC Words Activities
- Floss Rule Worksheet and Blends Clip Cards – blending cards free pdf
- Short o Worksheets or Long and Short Vowels Worksheets pdf
- Ending Blends Worksheets – lp, lk, ld, lt and Free final stable syllable worksheets
- SH, CH, TH Words Digraph Games or Hot Cocoa Beginning Sounds Winter Phonics Activity
- Free Printable Th Worksheets and 26 Free ABC book with pictures pdf free download
- Do-a-Dot Marker Beginning Sounds Worksheets pdf
- Don’t miss our 3000+ language arts worksheets or our 5000+ 1st grade worksheets
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on 1st grade Worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- 100 Free 1st grade reading books pdf free , Chapter Books for 1st Graders, free Printable 1st Grade Book Report
- Kid favorite Cut and Paste Worksheets for a variety of subjects, Sight Words Printable List, First Grade Word Search
- Phonics Dab the th worksheets, sh, ch, th word Digraph Games, Ending Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun Counting Coins Games, Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets, Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles, Gumball Math Worksheets, and Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math
- Bingo Shapes Game, Color the Coin Money Coloring Pages, Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery
- Printable Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Game, Free Hundreds Tens and Ones Worksheets
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets, Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template plus TONS of fun Human Body for Kids activities, experiments, and free printables too!
- EASY Lemon Battery Experiment, Mind-blowing Magnetic Slime, and Magnet experiments for Kids
- Balloon Solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities, oreo Phases of the Moon for Kids worksheets & activities
- Weather Unit with worksheets and projects, Learn planets in Solar System for Kids plus tons of Solar System Project Ideas, Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with cootie catchers
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit, Dive into plants for kids lessons
- Learn about LOTS of life cycles for kids (panda, spider, watermelon, bee, sunflower, spider, and more!)
- Free Scientific Method Worksheets, Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages, Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Free Printable States and Capitals Matching Game, Free Presidents Worksheets, US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live and learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- Learn about USA for Kids, American Symbols Worksheets, and explore American History for kids
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
Thank you for your helpful games
Thank you for sharing your er game – just checking if I missed something: only the first game board has words printed on it . . .