As your grade 1 students learns phonics they will run into r-controlled vowels. The concept of the bossy r can be tricky and take some time for 1st graders to master. To master these phonics ir words, we created a fun phonics game to make practicing fun. Simply print the ir phonics words to play 5-in-a-row Phonics game to play and learn!
Phonics ir Words
This low prep ir game is a great way to get children reading r-controlled vowels. I don’t know who decided this, but I wish those that wrote out the English language would have made it a little easier for our little readers. Why do we have to have so many ways of spelling the same sound?
Sometimes it is easy. If you hear the /oy/ sound in the middle of the word, you use /oi/. If it is at the end of a word or syllable, we use /oy/. But then we have these pesky r-controlled vowels. Without any rules to help our little readers, you have three ways of making the /er/ sound.
We can use /er/ to make words like in fern or helper. But did you know we can also use /ur/ to make the exact same sound. Yep, you can use that /ur/ to create words like blur or scurry. And we can not leave out the /ir/. It also makes the /er/ sound. Words like bird, whirl, and confirm use the /ir/ to make the exact same sound.
With all these different ways of spelling /er/, we have to give our little ones lots of opportunities to see how these words are spelled and read them. And that is what this ir game is all about.
ir phonics words
ir Phonics sound
This game is super simple to prepare. Simply print off the pages, and grab two Do-A-Dot Markers. If you wish to re-use the game, laminate the pages for durabilityand use two maniuplitives that are two different colors.
There are five game boards to choose from. The first game board has simple /ir/ words. Most of them are three to five letters, and all of them are one-syllable words.
The last game board moves into two-syllable words, to give your kiddos more of a challenge.
The game is easy to play.
- Player one choose a place to go, reads the word, and then places their manipultive or dots it with a do-a dot-marker.
- Player two does the same thing. Decides where they want to go, reads the word, and then covers it up.
- The players take turns reading and dotting trying to get five dots in a row. They can be up and down, across, or even horizontal. And it may be important to remind our little ones, that they can block their opponets to keep them from getting that five dots in a row.
- The frist person that succeeds in having make that row or column of five wins the game.
It’s that simple. Our kiddos get to read /ir/ words while playing a game. And in the process, begin to develop a schema for when to use /ir/ when spelling that pesky /er/ sound.
r Controlled vowel activity
- Car Bump Phonics ar Words Game – R Controlled
- er Phonics Printable Game
- 5-in-a-Row Phonics ir words Game
- Phonics or Words Tic-tac-toe Game
- R Controlled Vowel Worksheets
- Cut-and-paste Bossy R Worksheet
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Long ee Words BINGO – Vowel Teams Game
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- Irregular Vowels Activity with Verb Sliders
- See all our Vowels activities here
Worksheets for Grade 1
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on 1st grade Worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf free
- Fun-to-Read Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- Free Printable 1st Grade Book Report template
- Kid favorite, FREE Cut and Paste Worksheets for a variety of subjects!
- Sight Words Printable List
- First Grade Word Search
- Fun, free printable punctuation games for kids
- Phonics Dab the th worksheets
- sh, ch, th word Digraph Games
- Ending Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Cut and Paste L Blends Worksheets
- LOTS more free printable phonics worksheets and games
Free printable worksheets for 1st grade
Looking for even more grade 1 worksheets to review skills while having fun? Check out these resources:
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Bingo Shapes Game
- Color the Coin Money Coloring Pages
- Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery
- Printable Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Game
- Free Hundreds Tens and Ones Worksheets
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
1st Grade Science
Dive into some outrageousl fun science with our hands-on experiments and first grade worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- EASY Lemon Battery Experiment
- 12 Hands-on Battery Experiment Ideas for Kids
- Mind-blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Magnet experiments for Kids
- Balloon Solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities plus other projects
- Phases of the Moon for Kids – worksheets, activities, Oreo moon phases, and more
- Weather Unit with worksheets and hands-on weather activities for kids
- Learn the planet names with this Solar System for Kids Lesson plus tons of other Solar System Project Ideas
Grade 1 Science
Plus don’t miss these worksheets for grade 1
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Dive into the amazing world of botany with this plants for kids lessons
- Learn about LOTS of life cycles for kids (panda, spider, watermelon, bee, sunflower, spider, and more!)
- TONS of fun Human Body for Kids activities, expeirments, and free printables too!
- Free Scientific Method Worksheets
Free first grade worksheets
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables. Plus don’t miss all our fun, free, and immersive history lessons for kids and our other worksheet for grade 1
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Free Printable States and Capitals Matching Game
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty,and more!
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Ready to dive more in depth? Check out Country Study for Kids – look at 16 countries around the world up close
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Research and learn with these free Children around the World Worksheets
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- You can find all our FREE printable country coloring pages covering over 36 different nations – or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, Germany Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, printable math games, language arts worksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages!
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.