Help kids practice phonics or words with this fun, hands-on phonics games for 1st grade. In this tic-tac-toe game, kindergarten and first grader will practice reading or words to improve phonics skills. Simply print the r-controlled vowel printable activity and you are ready to play and learn!
Phonics or Words
Practice reading /or/ words, with this low prep game. When teaching a struggling reader it is important to spend time on all the numerous sounds that letters make. Over the past month, we have been deep into r-controlled vowels.
An r-controlled vowel is a vowel that has an /r/ right next to it, and no longer makes a short or long vowel sound. In fact, you really don’t hear the vowel at all. The /r/ is bossy and takes away the vowel sound. This week we have been working on the /or/ sound, found in words like short and form, and I had to create a game to make reading /or/ words fun.
r controlled words
This game doesn’t require any prep-work. Just simply print and play.
For the most part, we all know how to play the game Tic-Tac-Toe, and this is how this game is played. 1. Child one chooses which spot they want to go, read the word, and then cover-up that spot. (Sometimes we used x’s and o’s, and other times we used Do-A-Dot markers) 2. Child two does the same thing. 3. The game is over when someone gets three in a row, or all
One of the game pages focuses on two and three-syllable words. At first, they may look intimidating to our young readers, but they are so doable.
Before tackling this page, it may be helpful to have the words written out on a whiteboard and let your little reader divide it up.
phonics games for the classroom
The word corner divides into two syllables. If you place your hand on your chin when you say the word, you will fill it drop as you say /cor/ and then /ner/. They both are r-controlled vowel syllables and it is so much easier to read when our kiddos see that each syllable is easily read with skills they already know.
Check out forgo. For this word you can easily hear that /for/ is one syllable and /go/ is the other one. /For/ is an r-controlled vowel syllable and the /go/ is an open syllable. This means there is not a consonant after that vowel and therefore the /o/ makes the long sound.
or Word Family
One more example is portray. Once again say the word and let your little one say each syllable seperatly. /Por/ is the first syllable and /tray/ is the second syllable. Of course, /por/ is our r-contollred vowel syllable. The /tray/ is a vowel team syllable. This means we have two vowels that work together to make a different sound. In this case, they make the long a sound.
Working through this with your child before you start, is a wonderful way to review syllable types, listen to words, and help them be successful as they read these longer words.
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on 1st grade Worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- 100 Free 1st grade reading books pdf free , Chapter Books for 1st Graders, free Printable 1st Grade Book Report
- Kid favorite Cut and Paste Worksheets for a variety of subjects, Sight Words Printable List, First Grade Word Search
- Phonics Dab the th worksheets, sh, ch, th word Digraph Games, Ending Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun Counting Coins Games, Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets, Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles, Gumball Math Worksheets, and Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math
- Bingo Shapes Game, Color the Coin Money Coloring Pages, Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery
- Printable Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Game, Free Hundreds Tens and Ones Worksheets
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets, Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template plus TONS of fun Human Body for Kids activities, experiments, and free printables too!
- EASY Lemon Battery Experiment, Mind-blowing Magnetic Slime, and Magnet experiments for Kids
- Balloon Solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities, oreo Phases of the Moon for Kids worksheets & activities
- Weather Unit with worksheets and projects, Learn planets in Solar System for Kids plus tons of Solar System Project Ideas, Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with cootie catchers
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit, Dive into plants for kids lessons
- Learn about LOTS of life cycles for kids (panda, spider, watermelon, bee, sunflower, spider, and more!)
- Free Scientific Method Worksheets, Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages, Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Free Printable States and Capitals Matching Game, Free Presidents Worksheets, US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live and learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- Learn about USA for Kids, American Symbols Worksheets, and explore American History for kids
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.