These Phonics Beginning Sound Do-a-Dot Worksheets are a perfect way for Pre-K and Kindergarten students to practice finding letters that match the beginning sound of a picture.
All of my children love Do-A-Dot markers, and I have admit I love them too. They get to “paint” and I don’t have to clean up a mess!!! I’ve also noticed that they can encourage fine motor skills too.
With my love for these markers, and the excitement my children get out of using them I created a beginning sounds printable. It allows them to practice saying vocabulary words, work on letter recognition, beginning sounds, and fine motor skills! And they are perfect for preschoolers and kindergarten students who need to review beginning sounds.
Phonics Beginning Sound Do-a-Dot Worksheets
Prep- work is almost non-existent with these printables. All you need to do is….
- Print of the free beginning sounds printable
- Gather up Do – A – Dot markers (crayons will work too)
How to use Beginning Sounds Printable
There are many ways you can use these printables, and that really depends on your child and their knowledge of the alphabet
- Independent – knows their alphabet well – If you child knows the alphabet well, you can simply provide the child with the worksheet and markers. Next, explain the directions to them…..place a dot on the letter that the picture starts with. You can do the first one together to make sure they understand and then leave them to it. Don’t forget to let them “show” you their work. You can even have them explain why they dotted certain letters to get them used to defending their answers. This is a great skill to nurture even when they are young.
- Supporting – knows the alphabet but may still struggle on letter sounds – Some children need a little support to complete a printable. They may need help with saying words and hearing the sounds, or they may just need help to stay focused. For either of those examples, supporting them may be the best solution. Start by point to a picture and having the child say the name of the picture out loud. Then have the child say which letter it picture starts with, and finally, have them find the letter and dot it. If they struggle with coming up with the letter, say the name of the picture slowly while stressing the first sound.
- Guiding – still needs support on recognizing letters and their sounds – If your child is here, this may not be the best printable to use. Doing activities like picture sorts or placing magnetic letters on pictures may be a little easier as you can limit the letters they are working on. If you really want to try this out though, make sure you provide tons of support and watch for signs of frustration. If a child gets frustrated, it may be time to take a step back and try something a little easier.
You can provide support by having the child say the name of the picture, with you repeating the word emphasizing the first letter sound. Next, point to the first letter. Then, ask them what the letter is with a very short pause. If they can not name the letter within a comfortable amount of time, tell them the letter and the sound and have them repeat you. Finally, ask them if the name of the picture has the same sound of that letter. Continue until the answer is yes!!
Have fun painting without the mess and working on beginning sounds!
Alphabet Activities for Kids
- Free Alphabet Printables – over 1000 pages of free alphabet worksheets, games, and activities
- Letter Sounds Alphabet Cards (free)
- Cut & Paste Alphabet Book with writing practice (free)
- Fun Alphabet Playdough PLAYmats (free)
- Printable Alphabet Dot to Dot Book (free)
- Bingo Marker Alphabet Letter Find (free)
- Phonics Coloring Pages (free)
- Cute Alphabet Mazes (free)
- Alphabet Worksheets (free)
Don’t miss all our free printable worksheets for kindergarten and kindergarten activites with 300,000+ different ideas to make learning FUN! Or sneak in some seasonal kids activities to make the most of these precious early years!
Have other children you are homeschooling? You will want to check out our pre k worksheets, first grade worksheets, and free alphabet printables. Plus find our history for kids and easy science experiments for kids or all our free printable worksheets for kids.
Download Phonics Beginning Sound Do-a-Dot Worksheets
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.