These free printable Phonics Beginning Sounds Do a Dot Printables are a perfect way for preschool, pre k, and Kindergarten students to practice finding letters that match the initial sound of the cute clipart pictured. Children will love that they can use do a dot markers to practice phonemic awareness and phonics skills!
Phonics Beginning Sounds
All of my children love do a dot printables that use bingo markers, and I have admit I love them too. They get to “paint” and I don’t have to clean up a mess!!! I’ve also noticed that they can encourage fine motor skills too. With my love for these markers, and the excitement my children get out of using them I created a Phonics Beginning Sounds printable activity. Preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students will have fun practicing vocabulary words while working on phonemic awareness, initial sounds, letter recognition, and fine motor skills too!
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love these free worksheets that help kids work on improving reading skills.
Phonics Beginning Sound Worksheet
These are NO PREP! Simply print of the free beginning sounds printable and gather up Do-A-Dot markers (also known as bingo daubers, bingo markers, dot markers, etc. but markers or crayons will work too).
Phonics Sounds Worksheets
There are many ways you can use these printables, and that really depends on your child and their knowledge of the alphabet
- Independent – knows their alphabet well – If you child knows the alphabet well, you can simply provide the child with the worksheet and markers. Next, explain the directions to them…..place a dot on the letter that the picture starts with. You can do the first one together to make sure they understand and then leave them to it. Don’t forget to let them “show” you their work. You can even have them explain why they dotted certain letters to get them used to defending their answers. This is a great skill to nurture even when they are young.
- Supporting – knows the alphabet but may still struggle on letter sounds – Some children need a little support to complete a printable. They may need help with saying words and hearing the sounds, or they may just need help to stay focused. For either of those examples, supporting them may be the best solution. Start by point to a picture and having the child say the name of the picture out loud. Then have the child say which letter it picture starts with, and finally, have them find the letter and dot it. If they struggle with coming up with the letter, say the name of the picture slowly while stressing the first sound.
- Guiding – still needs support on recognizing letters and their sounds – If your child is here, this may not be the best printable to use. Doing activities like picture sorts or placing magnetic letters on pictures may be a little easier as you can limit the letters they are working on. If you really want to try this out though, make sure you provide tons of support and watch for signs of frustration. If a child gets frustrated, it may be time to take a step back and try something a little easier.
Beginning Sound Worksheet
You can provide support by having the child say the name of the picture, with you repeating the word emphasizing the first letter sound. Next, point to the first letter. Then, ask them what the letter is with a very short pause. If they can not name the letter within a comfortable amount of time, tell them the letter and the sound and have them repeat you. Finally, ask them if the name of the picture on the phonics beginning sounds worksheets has the same sound of that letter. Continue until the answer is yes!! Have fun painting without the mess and working on beginning sounds!
Beginning Sounds Activities
If you are looking for more initial sound activities, you will love these free printable ideas:
- Adorable Penguin Beginning Sounds Match
- Phonics Buses Beginning Sounds Match
- Clever Letter Sound Matching Game
- Fun Fish Phonics Activities Kindergarten
- Hands-on Beginning Sound Clip Cards
- Pumpkin Phonics Games for Kindergarten
- Ice Cream Beginning Sounds Activity
- Cute Easter Phonics Puzzles
- Printable Kite Phonics Craft
- Free Beginning Sounds Worksheets (write missing letter and cut and paste)
- Clip Cards for working on Initial Sounds Activities
- Free Beginning Sounds Game with magnetic letters
- Construction Beginning Sounds Match
- Snowman Beginning Sounds Coloring Pages
- Hands-on Snowman Beginning Sounds for Preschoolers
- Beginning Sounds Animals Cards
- Apple Beginning Sounds Printable
Don’t miss all our free printable worksheets for kindergarten and kindergarten activites with 300,000+ different ideas to make learning FUN! Or sneak in some seasonal kids activities to make the most of these precious early years! Have other children you are homeschooling? You will want to check out our pre k worksheets, first grade worksheets, and free alphabet printables. Plus find our history for kids and easy science experiments for kids or all our free printable worksheets for kids.
Do a Dot Worksheets Free Printables
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.