Looking for a fun, creative, and engaging All About Me Kindergarten unit? You will love these resources including free printables and family tree project.
All about Me Kindergarten
Expanding Horizons basically means kids are first introduced to Social Studies through the familiar and the close at hand, initially studying their home, family, neighborhood, and then community. (I think this would also be a wonderful, fun study for Preschool.) We completed It’s All About Me Project to help Goofy better understand how he can live in all those different places at the same time.
All about me book kindergarten
- He drew pictures of himself, his family, his birthday party, his house, and his friends.
- He wrote his name, age, address, favorites, and phone number.
- We made his fingerprints & talked about how no one else has ones like his – God made him special & unique. But God knows everything about him – even the number of hairs on his cute little head (Luke 12:7)
We read books suggested by Social Studies Through Children’s Literature: An Integrated Approach. These are both excellent resources.
- I love how People introduces that people look different, dress differently, live in different homes, and have different preferences – WONDERFUL!
- Sarah Morton’s Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Girl is a wonderful look at a day in this Pilgrim girl’s life. Wonderful pictures and simple text really help you to see what life was like for her.
all about me kindergarten project
- We talked about how we have a nuclear & extended family. We looked through our picture books, talked about our family, and….
- We made a family tree. We went back to his Great-Great Grandparents (1867). We used Bingo Markers to make the leaves. (These are a fun, versatile tool that enhance the art experience. )
- We talked about the importance of family. How God created families. (Deut 5:16, Prov 1:8, Col 3:20, Gen 1:27-28, Eph 5:23, and with the example of Jesus who was also born into a family)
- We read books suggested by Social Studies Through Children’s Literature: An Integrated Approach. I really liked Always Gramma that tells a sweet story about a granddaughter who teachers her Gramma how to read.
All about my Neighborhood for Kindergartners
We took a walk through our neighborhood & talked about what made a neighborhood. We read about Mabel’s neighborhood in Miss Mabel’s Table. We mapped our neighborhood
We had a Neighborhood Scavenger Hunt
We read books on neighborhood – Don’t miss Where Do I Live? that shows the expanding horizons up through the milk way galaxy. Another good one is In Coal Country that tells the story of a community of coal miners – very interesting!
All About my Community for Kindergartners
- Made a list of what is in our community / city
- Made an Errand List to do in our community (i.e. mail a letter, buy milk, get gas for the car, get a haircut, take sister to ballet lessons, get a book from the library, go to the doctor, put money in savings)
- Used dress-ups & puppets to role play community helpers.
- Did Who Can Help worksheet (cutting, pasting practice)
Expanding Horizons Field Trips for Homeschooolers
- Met Paramedic & explored Ambulance
- Met Garbage Collector & Explored Garbage Truck
- Met Snow plow driver & Explored Plow
- Met Police Officer & sat in Police Car
- Met Firefighter & explored Fire truck
- Met Mail Carrier & saw inside of USPS & UPS truck
- Explored various Farming Vehicles
- Explored various helper trucks: tree cutter, apple picker, steam roller, dump truck, etc.
- Wrote Firefighters a letter (and got a letter & goodies back from the Fire Chief!! It was VERY exciting)
- Graphed favorite city parks (click to see post with more details)
Read Books about Community & Community Helpers
Community Helpers Activities
- Free Community Helpers Coloring Pages – over 20 simple coloring pages exploring jobs
- Where do I Live – free printable project and fun idea for explaining how you live in a house, on a block, in a city, in a state, etc.
- All About Me Kindergarten (Expanding horizons social studies unit to teach kids about themselves, My Family, My Neighborhood, My Community Unit with lots of ideas & resources
- Lego All About Me Worksheet
- United States Coloring Pages – one page per state to learn about the state you live in
- Continents for Kids printable book
- 16 Countries for Kids Country Study Printable Books
- Community Heroes Lego Challenge
- Free Printable Community Signs Worksheets
- Community Helpers Crafts and Activities
- Printable Community Helper Writing Prompts
- Community Helpers Book Printable
- Doctor Pretend Play Printables
- Community Helpers Printable Wheel
- Construction Activities and Printables for Kids
- Farm Activities and Printables for Kids
Alphabet Printables for Kids
- A to Z Printable Alphabet Hats – learn vocabulary, intorduce beginning sounds, and more with this alphabet craft
- Printable Alphabet Bracelets – perfect for a letter of the week – just color, cut and tape your alphabet bracelet
- Alphabet Playdough Mats – strengthen fine motor skills while forming letters out of play doh
- Alphabet Mini Book Printable – low prep, fold and go alphabet book for each letter
- A to Z Letter Find – each alphabet letter has a different theme with recognition letter
- Alphabet Coloring Pages – wit over 200,000 downloads these are HUGELY popular ABC coloring sheets!
- Free Alphabet Worksheets – for a more in depth look at letters including alphabet mazes, cut and paste beginning sound activity and more, don’t miss these popular kindergarten worksheets!
- Printable Alphabet Crafts – no prep, one page printable letter craft for each letter of the alphabet from A to Z.
Plus we worked on Spanish Vocabulary for Me, My Family, My Neighborhood, My Community, and Community Helpers. You are welcome to download the 3 sheets of vocabulary & the vocabulary practice sheet by clicking on the image below. It is for your personal use. Feel free to share my site with anyone you like, but please don’t link them directly to the download. Thanks!