Make learning trigraphs fun with these free trigraph worksheets that students will complete with bingo daubers! Your first grade and 2nd grade students will have fun completing these phonics worksheets to improve reading and spelling using these do a dot printables to work on trigraphs scr, shr, and squ.
My little ones love it when I pull out the Do-a-Dot markers. It is a fun way for them to mark their answers. And maybe my little girl likes it because she can do a “worksheet” without having to worry about fine motor skills. They make me happy because my kiddos are happy. And I love that they are fun but not messy!!! These do a dot printables are a fun way for grade 1 and grade 2 students to work on trigraphs. As children use bingo daubers to complete these trigraph worksheets they will be learning scr words, shr words, and squ words.
Free Trigraph Worksheets
Simply print off the pages you need -there are 6 blend worksheet options to choose from. Now grab some bingo markers and you are ready to go.
Though this activity is a low-prep, I highly suggest that you don’t just hand this worksheet to your child. Some of the words can be a little tricky, so you want to make sure your little ones know what trigraph they are looking for.
I suggest saying the word, having your child repeat the word, and then dotting the correct trigraph.
If they are struggling to hear the trigraph, emphasize the first sound, and then have your child repeat just that sound. Getting them to hear just the trigraph and say it correctly is a very important step. Many of our sweet babies that have speech issues need to hear the trigraphs and practice saying them correctly to be able to successfully move onto the next step….spelling and reading the words.
Trigraphs for Kids
Once your little ones are familiar with the sounds of these trigraphs, then it is time to move into spelling and reading these fun trigraphs. Here are some simple words to work with!
- SCR – scram, scrub, scruff, scruff
- SHR – shrug, shrill, shred, shrub,
- SQU – squat, squad, squash
Have fun with these trigraphs Do-A-Dot worksheets.
Digraph and Blends
As children progress in phonics they work on digraphs and blends. Digraphs are two consonants that make one sound such as /TH/ sys thumb. Consonant blends have two constonants that each still make their own sound such as . If you are looking for more blends for kids games, worksheets, and activities? Check out these resoures or see all our digraph activities or consonant activities.
- Spring Digraph Activity Puzzles
- Printable Digraph Game for working on sh, ch, th words
- Ice Cream Puzzles Digraph Game for summer learning
- Build-a-Digraph Puzzle – Digraph Activity
- Digraph BINGO Game
Mastered digraphs? Move on to trigraphs for kids! These words are 3 constonants that make one sound such at
- Trigraph Printables – color and read trigraphs
- Printable Trigraph Readers – set #2
- Trigraph Workhseets – cut and paste to learn trigraph words
- Bingo Dauber Trigraph Worksheets make learning fun
- THR Word Activity with playdough!
- Trigraph Phonics Blending Games
Consonant blends activities
Other Literacy Activities you may enjoy:
- Free Ending Blends Worksheets
- Spring Bee Initial Blends Game
- Consonant Blends Games (puzzles in color or black & white)
- Blue Bird Initial Blends Activity
- Read and Color Free Blends Worksheets
- Dab a Blend – Ending Blends Worksheets in First Grade
- Final Blends Game
- Hands-on L Blend Worksheets
- Graph a Blends Activity
- Final Consonant Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Mitten Initial Blend Puzzles – Winter activities for first grade
- Ending S Blends Activity
- L Blends Fun Pack, TH Blends Fun Pack, or R Blends Fun Pack
- Leaf Puzzle Blends – fall activities for first grade
- Th Worksheets – reading the words in sentences
- Color by Blend Worksheet
- Clip Card Consonant Blends Activities
- Find and Dot Ending Blends Activities
- Reading phonics blends
Do a Dot Printables
- Alphabet Find a Letter Do a Dot Printables
- Fish Letter Find Do a Dot Printables
- Shape Do a Dot Printables
- Do a Dot Printables Calendar
- Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Do a Dot Printables
- Telling Time Tic-Tac-Toe Do a Dot Printables
- Cooking up Rhymes Do a Dot Printables
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Download Trigraph Practice Sheets
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!