Help kids work on spelling words with consonant clusters with this fun, hands-on consonant cluster worksheets. You will practice spl, scr, shr, spr, squ, str, and thr consonant blends examples. This consonant blend sounds activity is perfect for kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students. Simply print the trigraphs worksheets and you are ready to improve phonics skills with a fun trigraph activity!
Consonant Clusters Worksheets
The first time a child sees a cluster, they may be tempted to sound out each letter, making the word sound strange or unrecognizable to them. Helping kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students recognize three letter consonant blends, also known as digraphs or consonant clusters, to improve reading and spelling skills. SImply print the consonant blend worksheets and cut them apart into spelling mats. Now use bottle caps or similar with letters written on them to complete the consonant clusters worksheets. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love using these trigraph worksheets to help work on consonant blend examples.
Consonant blend sounds
This freebie contains 8 pages of spelling mats. Each mat has a picture of a consonant cluster word, three blank circles for the child to fill in with the consonant cluster, and the ending of the word spelled out.
I love easy-prep phonics activities, and this is one of them.
- Begin collecting bottle caps. We personally don’t use them, but family members do. I asked them to start putting them aside for us, and before long we had plenty of caps. You can also use magnetic letters if that works better for you.
- Write letters on the top of your bottle caps – If you have enough bottle caps to write each letter twice, your child will have all the letters they need to complete the spelling cards.
- print and cut out the consonant blend worksheets. For added durability, print on cardstock and laminate.
Consonant Blends Examples
You will be working on the following
- spl – s, p, l
- scr – s, c, r
- shr – s, h, r
- spr – s, p, r
- squ – s, q, u
- str – s, t, r
- thr – t, h, r
If you child is new to consonant clusters, you may want to start out with some interactive notebooks and games. This will give them a chance to learn what each trigraph, or consonant clusters is, how to say them, and how to spell to them.
Now it is time to practice with the spelling mats.
Depending on the level and attention span of your child or students, here are a few options.
- Give out all the spelling mats and bottle caps and let the student solve them all at once.
- Choose two or three consonant clusters to work on, and give the students all the bottle caps.
- You could do the same as step two, but only give out the bottle caps that will work with the spelling mats you provided.
- Only give the student one consonant cluster at a time and provide just a few bottle caps. Maybe throw in one letter that they won’t use.
Children will see consonant clusters throughout their reading, and it is important for their reading skills that they know the sounds of each one. These fun spelling mats will get your little ones on there way to mastering them.
Digraph and Blends
As children progress in phonics they work on digraphs and blends. Digraphs are two consonants that make one sound such as /TH/ sys thumb. Consonant blends have two constonants that each still make their own sound such as . If you are looking for more blends for kids games, worksheets, and activities? Check out these resoures or see all our digraph activities or consonant activities.
- Spring Digraph Activity Puzzles
- Printable Digraph Game for working on sh, ch, th words
- Ice Cream Puzzles Digraph Game for summer learning
- Build-a-Digraph Puzzle – Digraph Activity
- Digraph BINGO Game
Mastered digraphs? Move on to trigraphs for kids! These words are 3 constonants that make one sound such at
- Trigraph Printables – color and read trigraphs
- Printable Trigraph Readers – set #2
- Trigraph Workhseets – cut and paste to learn trigraph words
- Bingo Dauber Trigraph Worksheets make learning fun
- THR Word Activity with playdough!
- Trigraph Phonics Blending Games
Consonant blends activities
Other Literacy Activities you may enjoy:
- Free Ending Blends Worksheets
- Spring Bee Initial Blends Game
- Consonant Blends Games (puzzles in color or black & white)
- Blue Bird Initial Blends Activity
- Read and Color Free Blends Worksheets
- Dab a Blend – Ending Blends Worksheets in First Grade
- Final Blends Game
- Hands-on L Blend Worksheets
- Graph a Blends Activity
- Final Consonant Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Mitten Initial Blend Puzzles – Winter activities for first grade
- Ending S Blends Activity
- L Blends Fun Pack, TH Blends Fun Pack, or R Blends Fun Pack
- Leaf Puzzle Blends – fall activities for first grade
- Th Worksheets – reading the words in sentences
- Color by Blend Worksheet
- Clip Card Consonant Blends Activities
- Find and Dot Ending Blends Activities
- Reading phonics blends
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Lots of fun Chapter Books for 1st Graders wth free printable list
- Free Book Report Template to print and use with any book
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets make learning FUN!
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Free Sight Words Printable List
- 1st Grade Word Search Printable
- Free Printable 1st grade math worksheets to print and practice
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
Grade 1 Printables
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of FREE Kindergarten Writing Prompts
- Cut and Paste Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Telling Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE 250+ page Unit with activities, experiments, information, and Ocean Animal Worksheets
- Discover 16 amazing places around the world with these Country worksheets Study
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal printables with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Consonant Blend Worksheets
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.