Consonant clusters, or trigraphs, are three letters that combine to create the same sound. You can find them in words like sprint, strong, and even the word through. These free Consonant Clusters Spelling Mats are a fun way for first grade and 2nd grade kids to practice spelling consonant blends.
Consonant Clusters Spelling Mats
The first time a child sees a cluster, they may be tempted to sound out each letter, making the word sound strange or unrecognizable to them. Helping our children recognize these consonant clusters will help them with reading skills, and these Consonant Clusters Spelling Mats give them a fun way to practice.
What do you get?
This freebie contains 8 pages of spelling mats. Each mat has a picture of a consonant cluster word, three blank circles for the child to fill in with the consonant cluster, and the ending of the word spelled out.
I love easy prep activities, and this is one of them.
- Begin collecting bottle caps. We personally don’t use them, but family members do. I asked them to start putting them aside for us, and before long we had plenty of caps. You can also use magnetic letters if that works better for you.
- Write letters on the top of your bottle caps. If you have enough bottle caps to write each letter twice, your child will have all the letters they need to complete the spelling cards. You will need…
- spl – s, p, l
- scr – s, c, r
- shr – s, h, r
- spr – s, p, r
- squ – s, q, u
- str – s, t, r
- thr – t, h, r
- Print and cut out the spelling mats. For added durability, print on cardstock and laminate.
Working on Consonant Clusters
If you child is new to consonant clusters, you may want to start out with some interactive notebooks and games. This will give them a chance to learn what each trigraph, or consonant clusters is, how to say them, and how to spell to them.
Now it is time to practice with the spelling mats.
Depending on the level and attention span of your child or students, here are a few options.
- Give out all the spelling mats and bottle caps and let the student solve them all at once.
- Choose two or three consonant clusters to work on, and give the students all the bottle caps.
- You could do the same as step two, but only give out the bottle caps that will work with the spelling mats you provided.
- Only give the student one consonant cluster at a time and provide just a few bottle caps. Maybe throw in one letter that they won’t use.
Children will see consonant clusters throughout their reading, and it is important for their reading skills that they know the sounds of each one. These fun spelling mats will get your little ones on there way to mastering them.
- Cut-and-Paste Trigraphs Worksheets
- Color and Read Book with Trigraphs List for practicing trigraphs pr, squ, and str
- Free Readers to Color and Read MORE words from Trigraphs List
- thr words Playdough Mats
- Hot Cocoa Phonics makes fun winter activities for kindergarten
- Phonics Beginning Sounds Worksheets are a NO prep kindergarten worksheets to improve phonics skills.
- Christmas Phonics by making a Christmas trees by putting together words with the same beginning sounds.
- TH Worksheets – re-usable activity to help kids work on th sounds
- Mitten Beginning Sounds Matching is a fun Winter Activities for Kindergarten –
- Spring activities Kindergarten for working on consonant blends with digraph blends
- Ice Cream Themed Digraph kindergarten summer activities – sneak in some summer learning to improve reading skills with these cute, educational puzzles.
- Clip Cards are a fun Consonant blends activities – help kids learn to combine letters to make digraph sounds
- Spring Initial Blends Worksheets – super cute activity for helping kids master blends
- Graph a blends activities for 2nd graders – fun combination of math and language arts
- Color by blend worksheet – this is a fun way for kids to practice learning blends
- Consonant Blend Cluster Spelling Mats – hands on activity learning blends
- Kindergarten Word Families Sliders – help kids practice sounding out blends in words with this fun, transportation themed reading activity for early readers.
- Reading and Writing qu words Worksheets
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Lots of fun Chapter Books for 1st Graders wth free printable list
- Free Book Report Template to print and use with any book
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets make learning FUN!
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Free Sight Words Printable List
- 1st Grade Word Search Printable
- Free Printable 1st grade math worksheets to print and practice
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of FREE Kindergarten Writing Prompts
- Cut and Paste Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Telling Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE 250+ page Unit with activities, experiments, information, and Ocean Animal Worksheets
- Discover 16 amazing places around the world with these Country worksheets Study
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal printables with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Download Consonant Clusters Spelling Mats
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.