As your child continues learning more phonics they will advance to reading and spelling trigraphs. Instead of throwing more trigraph worksheets at them, try adding fun trigraph activities like these free printable trigraph readers! This trigraph printables focuses on helping first grade and 2nd grade students learning spr words, squ words, and str words. Simply download pdf file with phonics printable and you are ready to play and learn!
Help children learn to read, spell, and recognize trigraphs with this fun free trigraph printables. You can print the trigraph worksheets in color or black and white. Then have your grade 1 and grade 2 students colour the pictures. Now fold it into a cute Trigraph emergent reader to practice reading spr words, squ words, and str words. Use this trigraph activity as a great way to work on and improve phonics skills. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this handy, free trigraph practice for kids.
What is a Trigraph
Basically, a trigraph is three letters that make one sound. So the letters s, p, and r are all seperate, but when you put them together they make one sound in words not three seperate sounds. Learning to blend those sounds together to correctly pronounce and spell trigraph words can be difficult. But with practicek it gets easier.
If you haven’t already, start with our first set of trigraphs readers coverings spl words, scr words, and shr words.
In this set the three trigraphs are spr…, squ…, and str…
- sprain, sprawl, spray, spread, sprig and sprint.
- squad, square, squash, squats, squeak, squeeze.
- straw, strawberry, stray, stretch, strong and strum.
Look at the vocabulary lists at the backs of these books and practice reading the words together. If they are too difficult, just talk about the three letters at the beginning of each word and sound them out slowly to practice putting them together. This way, even a younger reader can keep an eye out for these words in the books as someone reads to them!
The pictures in the books will help if words need to be defined.
Before reading the books kids can use a highlighter or pencil to underline as many trigraphs as they can by looking carefully through each page. Rather than reading it first, just look for the letter patterns. Once they’ve done that go back to the beginning and read the books through properly.
Does your child understand the meanings of all the words? How is their pronunciation?
Digraph and Blends
As children progress in phonics they work on digraphs and blends. Digraphs are two consonants that make one sound such as /TH/ sys thumb. Consonant blends have two constonants that each still make their own sound such as . If you are looking for more blends for kids games, worksheets, and activities? Check out these resoures or see all our digraph activities or consonant activities.
- Spring Digraph Activity Puzzles
- Printable Digraph Game for working on sh, ch, th words
- Ice Cream Puzzles Digraph Game for summer learning
- Build-a-Digraph Puzzle – Digraph Activity
- Digraph BINGO Game
Mastered digraphs? Move on to trigraphs for kids! These words are 3 constonants that make one sound such at
- Trigraph Printables – color and read trigraphs
- Printable Trigraph Readers – set #2
- Trigraph Workhseets – cut and paste to learn trigraph words
- Bingo Dauber Trigraph Worksheets make learning fun
- THR Word Activity with playdough!
- Trigraph Phonics Blending Games
Consonant blends activities
Other Literacy Activities you may enjoy:
- Free Ending Blends Worksheets
- Spring Bee Initial Blends Game
- Consonant Blends Games (puzzles in color or black & white)
- Blue Bird Initial Blends Activity
- Read and Color Free Blends Worksheets
- Dab a Blend – Ending Blends Worksheets in First Grade
- Final Blends Game
- Hands-on L Blend Worksheets
- Graph a Blends Activity
- Final Consonant Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Mitten Initial Blend Puzzles – Winter activities for first grade
- Ending S Blends Activity
- L Blends Fun Pack, TH Blends Fun Pack, or R Blends Fun Pack
- Leaf Puzzle Blends – fall activities for first grade
- Th Worksheets – reading the words in sentences
- Color by Blend Worksheet
- Clip Card Consonant Blends Activities
- Find and Dot Ending Blends Activities
- Reading phonics blends
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
1st grade worksheets
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Subtraction Bingo Math Game
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
We have thousands more Free 1st Grade Worksheets and 1st grade math to make learning fun and easy for first graders! Or if you have a grade 2 student, don’t miss these free printable 2nd Grade Worksheets and second grade math
Download Trigraph Little Readers 2
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.