As your child continues learning more phonics they will advance to reading and spelling trigraphs. Instead of throwing more trigraph worksheets at them, try adding fun trigraph activities like these free printable trigraph readers! This trigraph printables focuses on helping first grade and 2nd grade students learning spr words, squ words, and str words. Simply print pdf file with phonics printable and you are ready to play and learn!
Help children learn to read, spell, and recognize trigraphs with this fun free trigraph printables. You can print the trigraph worksheets in color or black and white. Then have your grade 1 and grade 2 students colour the pictures. Now fold it into a cute Trigraph emergent reader to practice reading spr words, squ words, and str words. Use this trigraph activity as a great way to work on and improve phonics skills. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this handy, free trigraph practice for kids.
Trigraph reading passages
Basically, a trigraph is three letters that make one sound. So the letters s, p, and r are all seperate, but when you put them together they make one sound in words not three seperate sounds. Learning to blend those sounds together to correctly pronounce and spell trigraph words can be difficult. But with practicek it gets easier.
If you haven’t already, start with our first set of trigraphs readers coverings spl words, scr words, and shr words.
Trigraphs list pdf
In this set the three trigraphs are spr…, squ…, and str…
- sprain, sprawl, spray, spread, sprig and sprint.
- squad, square, squash, squats, squeak, squeeze.
- straw, strawberry, stray, stretch, strong and strum.
Look at the vocabulary lists at the backs of these books and practice reading the words together. If they are too difficult, just talk about the three letters at the beginning of each word and sound them out slowly to practice putting them together. This way, even a younger reader can keep an eye out for these words in the books as someone reads to them!
The pictures in the books will help if words need to be defined.
str words for grade 2
Before reading the books kids can use a highlighter or pencil to underline as many trigraphs as they can by looking carefully through each page. Rather than reading it first, just look for the letter patterns. Once they’ve done that go back to the beginning and read the books through properly.
Does your child understand the meanings of all the words? How is their pronunciation?
Digraph and Blends
As children progress in phonics they work on digraphs and blends. Digraphs are two consonants that make one sound such as /TH/ sys thumb. Consonant blends have two constonants that each still make their own sound such as . If you are looking for more blends for kids games, worksheets, and activities? Check out these resoures or see all our digraph activities or consonant activities.
- Spring Digraph Activity Puzzles
- Printable Digraph Game for working on sh, ch, th words
- Ice Cream Puzzles Digraph Game for summer learning
- Build-a-Digraph Puzzle – Digraph Activity
- Digraph BINGO Game
Mastered digraphs? Move on to trigraphs for kids! These words are 3 constonants that make one sound such at
- Trigraph Printables – color and read trigraphs
- Printable Trigraph Readers – set #2
- Trigraph Workhseets – cut and paste to learn trigraph words
- Bingo Dauber Trigraph Worksheets make learning fun
- THR Word Activity with playdough!
- Trigraph Phonics Blending Games
Consonant blends activities
Other Literacy Activities you may enjoy:
- Free Ending Blends Worksheets
- Spring Bee Initial Blends Game
- Consonant Blends Games (puzzles in color or black & white)
- Blue Bird Initial Blends Activity
- Read and Color Free Blends Worksheets
- Dab a Blend – Ending Blends Worksheets in First Grade
- Final Blends Game
- Hands-on L Blend Worksheets
- Graph a Blends Activity
- Final Consonant Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Mitten Initial Blend Puzzles – Winter activities for first grade
- Ending S Blends Activity
- L Blends Fun Pack, TH Blends Fun Pack, or R Blends Fun Pack
- Leaf Puzzle Blends – fall activities for first grade
- Th Worksheets – reading the words in sentences
- Color by Blend Worksheet
- Clip Card Consonant Blends Activities
- Find and Dot Ending Blends Activities
- Reading phonics blends
Second Grade Worksheets
Looking for more 2nd grade printable worksheets? You will love these activities:
- LOTS of Free 2nd Grade Worksheets
- Crab Contractions Activity
- 2nd Grade Crossword Puzzles to work on spelling words
- Grab the 2nd grade reading list or check out read alouds for 2nd grade
- Bandaid Contraction Games
- Minion Contraction Games
- Bingo Contraction Games
- Free Sight Word BINGO
- Dominoes Contraction Games
- Ice Cream Word Endings Game
- Pirate Parts of Speech Worksheets
- BINGO Digraph Game
- Hamburger Homynm Puzzles
- EPIC Library Scavenger Hunt for learning about different genres of books, book catalog, and so much more
- Dictionary Detective Worksheets and free printable cases for kids
- Pizza Book Report Templates
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Place Value Games 2nd Grade
- Super CUTE, Free Skip Counting Charts – 1s-15s
- Spring Double Digit Addition Game
- NO PREP, Telling Time Worksheets pdf
- Free Clock Mazes – Telling Time Games
- Counting Coins Games – Clip Cards
- Pizza Fraction BINGO
- 2nd Grade Math Worksheets to play Mad Minute
Free Printable Worksheets for 2nd Grade
Plus dont’ miss these worksheets for 2nd grade:
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Animals and Hibernation Worksheet
- Endangered Animals Worksheet
- Zoo Field Trip Worksheets
- Free Printable Animal Report Template
- Cut and Paste Animal Classification Worksheet
- Bat Life Cycle Worksheets or see all our life cycle worksheets
- Free Habitat Game for 2nd Grade
- Color Changing Flowers Science Experiment
- Lots of Printables and activities to learn about Countries for Kids
- We have almost 50 individual country studies for kids like this Colombia for Kids
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- FREE Printable World Map for Kids
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
United States Lesson for Kids
Many 2nd grader learn about the USA. These 2nd grade homeschool worksheets will help children learn about the great country of the United States! WE have so many resources and worksheets for 2nd graders to choose from!
- Patriotic Symbols Mini Book to read, color, and learn
- Free Presidents of the United States for Kids
- Printable States and Capitals Matching Game
- Voting for Kids – How Americans elect a new president
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- Super CUTE, Free State Coloring Pages
- USA for Kids printable book to read, color and learn
- 1950s for Kids Reader to Color, Learn and read about what life was like in America in 1950
- Life in the 1960s for Kids Printable book to read, color and learn about life in the 1960s
- Learn about platform shoes, disco, the beginning of Star Wars and more with this 1970s for kids Reader
- 1980s for kids Reader to read, color, and learn!
- 1990s for Kids Printable Reader filled with information about fashion, technology, Presidents, and more!
- Learn about life for early 2000s Kids with these american history printables to read, color, and learn!
- Review what you’ve leanred with these American History Worksheets (Notebooking)
We have thousands more Free 1st Grade Worksheets and 1st grade math to make learning fun and easy for first graders! Or if you have a grade 2 student, don’t miss these free printable 2nd Grade Worksheets and second grade math
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.