In your child’s mastery of phonics, if your child is past the basics of reading and needs more of a challenge, these trigraph little readers will help. Excellent for Kindergarten, first grade, and second grade children.
Trigraph Little Readers 2
These FREE Trigraph Little Readers are such a fun way for kids to practice identifying and reading trigraph words. Such a fun literacy activity for early readers
How to Prepare
Download set 2 of the Trigraph Little Readers below, print them off, then fold according to the instructions. With just one slit in the paper, each copied page will turn into a tiny 8 page book! Just perfect for little hands.
Don’t forget to grab FREE Trigraph Readers Set 1 including spl, scr, and shr
Phonics & Trigraphs
Your child will understand what trigraphs are if you have already read through the Set 1 books . If not, talk about tri- meaning three such as in ‘triplet’ or ‘trishaw.’
With a trigraph, three letters are placed together and all are important to the word and the sound.
In this set the three trigraphs are spr…, squ…, and str…
- sprain, sprawl, spray, spread, sprig and sprint.
- squad, square, squash, squats, squeak, squeeze.
- straw, strawberry, stray, stretch, strong and strum.
How to use these trigraph little readers
Look at the vocabulary lists at the backs of these books and practice reading the words together. If they are too difficult, just talk about the three letters at the beginning of each word and sound them out slowly to practice putting them together. This way, even a younger reader can keep an eye out for these words in the books as someone reads to them!
The pictures in the books will help if words need to be defined.
Before reading the books kids can use a highlighter or pencil to underline as many trigraphs as they can by looking carefully through each page. Rather than reading it first, just look for the letter patterns. Once they’ve done that go back to the beginning and read the books through properly.
Does your child understand the meanings of all the words? How is their pronunciation?
Looking for more FREE little readers?
- Ice Cream Sight Word Readers
- Ant Life Cycle: First, Next and Then
- Cinderella went to the Ball
- I’m SO Healthy!
- Super Hero Readers (Prek – 2nd grade)
- Princess Readers (Prek – 2nd grade)
- Bug Sight Word Reader
- Cars & Toy Story Sight Word Readers
- Brave & Tangled Sight Word Readers
- Spring Time Readers
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin homeschooling for free? See more of our second grade worksheets plus our history lesson plans, free math games, english worksheets, sight words activities, alphabet worksheets, and cvc word games for kids of all ages!
Download Trigraph Little Readers 2
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.