This fun phonics activity is a great way to help first grade and 2nd grade students learn words that start with thr with a fun, hands-on phonics printable. This thr activities is such a fun way way for children to learn how to read and spell consonant blends. Make learning about trigraphs and thr words fun with these THR Playdough Mats.
What do the words through, throw, and three all have in common? You guessed it, they all start with the same three letters “thr”. Help grade 1 and grade 2 students learn thr words with this fun, hands-on phonics activity. These free playdough mats are such a fun phonics printables. When you put the letters “thr” in a word the combine together to make one sound…they are called trigraphs. And just like any other phonics sound, children need to paly around with them to learn the sound and recognize the letters that make that sound. And today, I have these fun “thr” playdough mats to help children learn the trigraph “thr”
This easy set-up is a fun phonics activity for learning words that start with thr. Print off pages on card stock paper. Next, laminate them or place them in sheet protectors. Finally, grab some playdough and you are ready to go.
These mats help elementary age students learning to read and spell words beginning with thr in a super simple to use, and so much fun spelling activity! They are a stressfree way to work on saying and reading trigraphs.
- To begin, introduce your child to the trigraph “thr”. Explain how these three letters are very special and work together to make one sound.
- Next show them the mats. You can begin by pointing to the picture and saying the word. Then point to the word and clearly say the “thr” sound and then the rest of the word. See if you child can repeat you.
- Now, let them shape the playdough into letters. Have them make the “thr” in one color, and the rest of the word in another color.
- Finally, have them read the word to you by placing their finger under the “thr” when saying that part of the word, and then moving their finger to the right as they finish saying the word.
Grade 1 Printables
Normally we just think that playdough is a fun activity for children, but it is so much more.
Did you know that when children are shaping, rolling, squishing, mashing, and squashing their playdough they are developing fine motor skills? Many children that struggle with fine motor skills have weak muscles that need to be strengthened. When we encourage our children to flatten and roll out their playdough to make the letter needed, they are strengthening their muscles.
Some children also need the sensory input that comes from playing with playdough. The touch of it, the smell of it, and the consistent movement can all meet the needs of children that need a little extra sensory input. You can even create your own playdough and add new smells to it, like this lemon recipe, to build olfactory (smell) sensory resilience.
Digraph and Blends
As children progress in phonics they work on digraphs and blends. Digraphs are two consonants that make one sound such as /TH/ sys thumb. Consonant blends have two constonants that each still make their own sound such as . If you are looking for more blends for kids games, worksheets, and activities? Check out these resoures or see all our digraph activities or consonant activities.
- Spring Digraph Activity Puzzles
- Printable Digraph Game for working on sh, ch, th words
- Ice Cream Puzzles Digraph Game for summer learning
- Build-a-Digraph Puzzle – Digraph Activity
- Digraph BINGO Game
Mastered digraphs? Move on to trigraphs for kids! These words are 3 constonants that make one sound such at
- Trigraph Printables – color and read trigraphs
- Printable Trigraph Readers – set #2
- Trigraph Workhseets – cut and paste to learn trigraph words
- Bingo Dauber Trigraph Worksheets make learning fun
- THR Word Activity with playdough!
- Trigraph Phonics Blending Games
Consonant blends activities
Other Literacy Activities you may enjoy:
- Free Ending Blends Worksheets
- Spring Bee Initial Blends Game
- Consonant Blends Games (puzzles in color or black & white)
- Blue Bird Initial Blends Activity
- Read and Color Free Blends Worksheets
- Dab a Blend – Ending Blends Worksheets in First Grade
- Final Blends Game
- Hands-on L Blend Worksheets
- Graph a Blends Activity
- Final Consonant Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Mitten Initial Blend Puzzles – Winter activities for first grade
- Ending S Blends Activity
- L Blends Fun Pack, TH Blends Fun Pack, or R Blends Fun Pack
- Leaf Puzzle Blends – fall activities for first grade
- Th Worksheets – reading the words in sentences
- Color by Blend Worksheet
- Clip Card Consonant Blends Activities
- Find and Dot Ending Blends Activities
- Reading phonics blends
Free Playdough Mats
Looking for more fun, free printable playdough mats? You will love these:
- Interactive Alphabet Playodugh Mats with finish the picture
- Simple Alphabet Playdough Mats with tracing lines
- Gumball Number Playdough Mats
- Fun Transportation Playdough mats (train, bus, rocket, airplane, boat, and more!)
- Free Shape Playdough Mats
- Preschool Shape Worksheets with playdoh
- Finish the scene Playdough Number Mats (featured above)
- Build a Playdough Birthday Cake Activity for Preschool
- Pet Animal Playdough mats (bird, turtle, fish, bunny, cat, lizzard, dog, snake, etc.)
- Free Printable Emotion Playdough mats
- Thanksgiving Playdough Mats featuring yummy thanksgiving favorite foods!
- Playdough Musical Activities for Kids
- Free Playdough Letter Mats
- Fall Playdough Mats (build a sunflower, leaf, acron, pumpkin, rake, hay, etc)
- Count to 10 Apple Playdough Mats
- FREE Ice Cream Pattern Printable
- Spider Math Activities for Preschoolers withPlay dogh
- Free Printable Human Body Playdough Mats
- Telling Time Activity with Playdough
- Grilling on a Ten Frame Summer Printable Playdough Mats
- Watermelon Seed Counting Playdough Mats
- Monster Shape Playdough Mats
- Uppercase Letter Tracing with playdough
- Birthday Cake Activity for Preschool Counting candles Playdough mats
- Sandcastle Activity Playdough Mat
- Over 100 Playdough Mats to print and play (plus more free printable playdough mats on our sister site)
Playdough Activities for Kids
Looking for some amazing playdough recipes to try? Check out these easy play doh recipes!
- Color Changing Playdough
- Kool Aid Playdough
- Incredible, Edible Ice Cream Play doh
- Quick, Edible Peeps Playdough
- Hot Chocolate playdough
- Easy 2 Ingredient Play Dough Recipe
- Simple Candy Corn Playdough – play and EAT!
- Super Soft Conditioner Playdough
Download “thr” Words Playdough mats
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.