This fun phonics activity is a great way to help first grade and 2nd grade students learn words that start with thr with a fun, hands-on phonics printable. This thr activities is such a fun way way for children to learn how to read and spell consonant blends. Make learning about trigraphs and thr words fun with these THR Playdough Mats.
What do the words through, throw, and three all have in common? You guessed it, they all start with the same three letters “thr”. Help grade 1 and grade 2 students learn thr words with this fun, hands-on phonics activity. These free playdough mats are such a fun phonics printables. When you put the letters “thr” in a word the combine together to make one sound…they are called trigraphs. And just like any other phonics sound, children need to paly around with them to learn the sound and recognize the letters that make that sound. And today, I have these fun “thr” playdough mats to help children learn the trigraph “thr”
This easy set-up is a fun phonics activity for learning words that start with thr. Print off pages on card stock paper. Next, laminate them or place them in sheet protectors. Finally, grab some playdough and you are ready to go.
These mats help elementary age students learning to read and spell words beginning with thr in a super simple to use, and so much fun spelling activity! They are a stressfree way to work on saying and reading trigraphs.
- To begin, introduce your child to the trigraph “thr”. Explain how these three letters are very special and work together to make one sound.
- Next show them the mats. You can begin by pointing to the picture and saying the word. Then point to the word and clearly say the “thr” sound and then the rest of the word. See if you child can repeat you.
- Now, let them shape the playdough into letters. Have them make the “thr” in one color, and the rest of the word in another color.
- Finally, have them read the word to you by placing their finger under the “thr” when saying that part of the word, and then moving their finger to the right as they finish saying the word.
Grade 1 Printables
Normally we just think that playdough is a fun activity for children, but it is so much more.
Did you know that when children are shaping, rolling, squishing, mashing, and squashing their playdough they are developing fine motor skills? Many children that struggle with fine motor skills have weak muscles that need to be strengthened. When we encourage our children to flatten and roll out their playdough to make the letter needed, they are strengthening their muscles.
Some children also need the sensory input that comes from playing with playdough. The touch of it, the smell of it, and the consistent movement can all meet the needs of children that need a little extra sensory input. You can even create your own playdough and add new smells to it, like this lemon recipe, to build olfactory (smell) sensory resilience.
- Cut-and-Paste Trigraph Worksheets
- Trigraph Emergent Readers for practicing trigraphs pr, squ, and str
- Free Trigraph Printables Readers for grade 1 and grade 2 students
- THR Words Playdough Mats – Printable Phonics Activity
- Phonics Hot Chocolate with Marshmallows – kids will have fun workign on beginning sounds with this creative phonics game for early learners
- Do-a-Dot Phonics Worksheets – low prep kindergarten worksheets to improve phonics skills.
- Christmas tree Phonics Puzzles – students will make Christmas trees by putting together words with the same beginning sounds.
- TH Strips – better than th worksheets is this re-usable activity to help kinds work on th sounds
- Mitten Beginning Sound Match – super cute winter themed activity to work on matching letters with the sounds they make.
- Spring Digraph Puzzles – kids will have fun listening for consonant blends with this fun phonics activity for prek, kinders, and 1st grders.
- Digraph Ice Cream Puzzles – sneak in some summer learning to improve reading skills with these cute, educational puzzles.
- Consonant Blend Clip Cards – help kids learn to combine letters to make digraph sounds
- Spring Initial Blends Matching Game – super cute acticity for helping kids master blends
- Graph a Blends Activity – fun combination of math and language arts
- Color & Trace Blends Book – this is a fun way for kids to practice learning blends
- Consonant Blends Cluster Mats – hands on activity learning blends
- Blends Transportation Slider – help kids practice sounding out blends in words with this fun, hands on reading activity for early readers.
Free Playdough Mats
Looking for more fun, free printable playdough mats? You will love these:
- Transportation Playdough mats
- Shape Activities for Preschoolers
- Birthday Cake Activity for Preschool
- Animal Playdough mats
- Emotion Playdough mats
- Thanksgiving Playdough Mats
- Musical Instruments for Kids Playdough Mats
- Fall Playdough Mats
- Apple Playdough Mats
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Spider Activities for Preschoolers
- Alphabet Playdough Mats
- Peeps Playdough
- Human Body for Kids Playdough Mats
- Color Changing Playdough
- Number Playdough Mats
- Kool Aid Playdough
- Watermelon Seed Counting Playdough Mats
- Monster Shape Playdough Mats
- Tracing letters a-z
- Birthday Cake Printable Playdough mats
- Kids Counting Castle Playdough Mats
- Ice Cream Playdough
- Alphabet Playdough Mats
- ***Don’t miss our MANY free play doh mat printables
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Download “thr” Words Playdough mats
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.