This fun phonics game allows children to work on r controlled vowels while having fun. This car printable helps kids learn the r controlled vowels /ar/. Use this phonics ar words game with first grade and 2nd graders to improve reading and writing the ar sounds words. Simply print the pdf file with bossry r game for a phonics activity for 1st graders.
Phonics ar Words
Every syllable has to have a vowel. This phrase has been repeated over and over as my little girl is trying to conquer the skill of reading. And boy has the saying come in handy as we are learning a new syllable type. It is time for r-controlled vowels. And when it comes to spelling these guys, this rule is soooo important. You never hear the vowel, just this r sound. So knowing that /ar/ makes the sound in car and you never hear the /a/ is very important. Especially when spelling, but that is for another day.
As we tackle this r-controlled syllable, I knew we needed to have some practice on reading these /ar/ words. And what better practice than a fun ar sound phonics game. Especially one with cars, since the phonics ar words sound is in the word car. This phonics games focuses on r controlled words that have the ar sound phonics. Use this blends activity with grade 1 and grade 2 students.
ar Sounds Words
R Controlled Vowels
This phonics game is such a simple game to prepare for and play.
- First print off the game boards that you want to use. (One per two players)
- Next, print off the ar sounds word list that corresponds with the game board and cut apart so that each player has a list.
- Finally, gather up a die, and blocks that are two different colors.
Ar sound phonics
I love Bump games, and so do students. There is something satisfying about knocking off your competition’s blocks, or securing your piece so no one can knock you out. And this /ar/ game is one of those contests.
To play, the players take turns rolling the dice and reading that number word on the list.
They will then do one of the following.
- Place their block on the empty word.
- Knock off the block of their opponent, IF there is only one block on that car.
- Secure the spot by placing a second block on the car.
- Nothing!!! That spot has already been secured (two blocks on) by either them or their opponent.
Once all cars have been secured the game is over. The person with the most secured cars wins the game.
Now that they know the basic vowels they are ready to learn about how vowels work together in vowel teams to make very different sounds with their own set of rules. See the list of common Vowel Team Flashcards and free printable vowel team activities to practice! Vowel Teams are either Digraphs or Dipthongs – see more practice in those categories below.
- ai and ay words worksheets
- Printable Ai Words for kids Game
- au aw words Turkey feather sort
- ea vowel team puzzle activity or this three sounds of ea BINGO
- ee words for kids BINGO game or these ee word family worksheets
- ew sound words 5-in-a-row Game
- ie words for kids cut and paste worksheets
- oi words for kids spin and write activity
- ow words for kids slide and read printable
- oa vowel team activity with printable puzzles
- oa and oe worksheets
- oy and oi words for kids activity
- oo worksheets
- ou sound words game for students or this ou words for kids memory cards
- free long o sound words clip cards
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on 1st grade Worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- 100 Free 1st grade reading books pdf free , Chapter Books for 1st Graders, free Printable 1st Grade Book Report
- Kid favorite Cut and Paste Worksheets for a variety of subjects, Sight Words Printable List, First Grade Word Search
- Phonics Dab the th worksheets, sh, ch, th word Digraph Games, Ending Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun Counting Coins Games, Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets, Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles, Gumball Math Worksheets, and Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math
- Bingo Shapes Game, Color the Coin Money Coloring Pages, Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery
- Printable Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Game, Free Hundreds Tens and Ones Worksheets
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets, Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template plus TONS of fun Human Body for Kids activities, experiments, and free printables too!
- EASY Lemon Battery Experiment, Mind-blowing Magnetic Slime, and Magnet experiments for Kids
- Balloon Solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities, oreo Phases of the Moon for Kids worksheets & activities
- Weather Unit with worksheets and projects, Learn planets in Solar System for Kids plus tons of Solar System Project Ideas, Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with cootie catchers
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit, Dive into plants for kids lessons
- Learn about LOTS of life cycles for kids (panda, spider, watermelon, bee, sunflower, spider, and more!)
- Free Scientific Method Worksheets, Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages, Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Free Printable States and Capitals Matching Game, Free Presidents Worksheets, US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live and learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- Learn about USA for Kids, American Symbols Worksheets, and explore American History for kids
r Controlled Words
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.