Practice reading “ou” words with this fun Race to the Top game. This fun phonics game for first graders is a great way to practice the ou phonic sound with an engaging activity that will appeal to grade 1 students. To play this ou words game, simply print the pages, grab a do a dot marker, and you are ready to play and learn!
ou phonic sound
My little girl is working on a new vowel team this week – ou phonic sound, and to be honest it has been a tricky one for her. And what is worse, is she hasn’t learned how tricky it really is. The first tricky part is that the vowel team “ou” makes two sounds. It can make the sound /oo/ like in soup. And it can make the /ow/ sound like in plow or ouch!
I guess you can see the other tricky part is that the /ow/ sound can be made with an “ow” or an “ou”. Thankfully, this part has a pretty reliable rule. “OU” is used at the beginning of words or syllables, like in out or grouch. While “ow” is used at the end of words, or at the end of a syllable. You can see this in power and how. And just as a side note, if the word ends with the letter n or l, you also use the “ow”. (growl, grown)
WIth all these rules, I knew we just needed some simple reading practice. And that is what this game does. This ou words activity is a great way for 1st grade students to practice reading while having fun!
ou words phonics worksheets
This game can be ready to play in minutes.
- Simply, print off the boards you need. The last sheet has two-syllables, so if your child is not there yet, you may not want to print off that one.
- All that is left is to get some Do-A-Dot markers or other round manipultives to cover up the circles.
Vowel team ou
The rules for the game are simple.
- Player one rolls the die.
- Next, player 1 finds that number on their sheet, and reads the word above it.
- Then they get to dot is with a Do-A-Dot marker, or place a maniupltive on it.
ou Sound Words
- Now it is players two turn
- They follow the same steps. Roll the die, find that numver, read the word, and then cover up that word.
- The players take turn doing this until one player fills up one column.
As a side note….the first time we played this, one of my little ones quickly filled up his column. We then decided to see who could fill up the whole page first. Which of course got them reading those “ou” words like I wanted them too.
Long o Vowel Teams
- Free printable ow sound sliders
- Race to the top ou sound words game
- Cut and paste oa and oe worksheets
- Color by phonics sound oo words for kids
- Phonics puzzles with vowel team oa
- Snowman Phonics Activity Reading oi sound Words
Long vowel sounds worksheets
Looking for more practice with the long a sound? Check out these free printables:
- Dot Marker Long a sound Worksheets
- PrintableLong Ai Words Game
- Long a Words Clip Cards
- Spelling Long A Sound Words Worksheet
- Identifying long and short vowel sounds worksheets pdf
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- See all our Vowels activities here
ou Words Worksheet
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.