Help children get the practice they need with spelling long a words with these super cute, free printable clip cards for kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students.
Spelling Long A Words
We’ve jumped back into school during the hot month of August. And I’ll be honest. I didn’t do a great job of being consistent with reading during the summer. And it shows. My sweet little twins are mixing up b’s and d’s again (I thought we had conquered that), and we are really reviewing those short vowel sounds again.
Even though it is a little frustrating, and I’m mad at myself for not reading more this summer, there has been a lot of progress. They are more confident with short vowels. Diagraphs and trigraph sounds are sounding better too. And I know that once we are back to where we were, we will be jumping into long vowels. Hence the need to get started on “long a” activities.
This low prep Spelling Long A Words activity is a great way to help kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students improve their spelling, phonics skills, and reading while having fun! Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this handy literacy activity to make practicing long a words fun!
Long A Word Printable
Once your little one has practiced spelling these fun words, it is time to get those clip cards ready. First, print them off on card stock paper. (You can laminate them for additional durability.) Next cut them out. Finally, grab some clothespins and you are ready to go.
Long A Words
For some reason, spelling words out before we read them helps my daughter immensely. If you find your child is not able to quickly pick up new words, this may be a route you want to go.
Grab some magnetic letters, and let the practice the words they will be reading. In this activity, they will be reading these words.
First Grade Phonics
This activity is super easy to do. First, the children sound out the word on the card and then say that word aloud. Next, they place a clothespin on the picture that matches the word they just read.
This allows them to practice three skills. They get to practice reading “long a” words, then there is a little comprehension work as they find the picture that matches the word they read. Finally, they get in some fine motor skills as they squeeze the clothespin to put it on the right letter.
There is so much work being done with these simple “long a” clip cards.
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- See all our Vowels activities here
Download Short Vowel Clip Cards
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.