This free printable Missing Vowels Clip Cards will help pre k and kindergarten age kids fill in the missing letters and practice phonics with a fun learning activity.
Fill in the Missing Letters
Every word needs a vowel!
It is a concept that all our little ones need to learn. And with that important knowledge needs to come the sounds each vowel makes.
Today we are focusing on both of these concepts. These missing vowel clip cards help children see that every word must have a vowel and then work on figuring out the vowel based on the sound.
Now cut the printable into cards. Finally, gather up clothes pins and magnetic letters or dry erase markers to complete the phonics activity with preschoolers, kindergartners, and first graders.
Here are a few ideas on using these with your students or children.
If you have not done an activity like this before, begin by reviewing the vowels. We like to sing Old MacDonald had a vowel, A – E – I – O – U.
Next, go through each vowel and have your child practice saying the sounds. After that warm-up, you are ready to start the activity.
What is the missing vowel?
At the beginning, I would suggest doing this activity with adult support.
- Start by saying the picture.
- If your child is able, have them say the word broken up where each sound is emphasized.
- b – a – t
- Next, ask what sound do they hear in the middle. If needed, you can say emphasize the b and then pause to see if they will fill in what you did earlier. If that doesn’t work, then just have them repeat each sound with you. When they make the “a” sound, ask them to point to the vowel that makes that sound.
- When they have chosen the sound, have them place the vowel on the blank space and point to each letter as they say each sound.
- Finally, let them use the clothespins to mark the correct letter. It never hurts to get in some extra fine motor practice.
Work through rest of the clip cards, and then slowly pull back so they can become independent. At the end, they will be more comfortable with each vowel sound and the fact that every word has a vowel. This activity uses CVC Words. Looking for more practice, try 35 CVC Words Activities.
- CVC Words Short U Vowels – cut and pate book for practicing vowels
- Short and Long Vowel Spelling Practice using these no prep worksheets
- Vowel Activity -hands on vowel puzzles
- Short Vowel Board Game
- CVC Word Short Vowel Puzzles
- Short i words Reader
- Spring Short i puzzles
Download Missing Vowels Activity
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.