These Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way to teach pre-k and kindergarten children about vowels for kids. Use these Printable Missing Vowels Puzzles with magnetic letter tiles and/or clothespins to fill in the missing vowels and complete the word. This low prep, missing vowel puzzles printable is a fun early literacy activity to improve phonics skills; I love simple cvc words activity with cute clipart to engage kids! Simply print pdf file with missing vowels puzzles free and you are ready to play and learn.
Missing Vowels Puzzles Free
Every word needs a vowel! It is a concept that all our little ones need to learn. And with that important knowledge needs to come the sounds each vowel makes. Today we are focusing on the concept of missing vowels. These Printable Missing Vowels Puzzles help children see that every word must have a vowel and then work on figuring out the vowel based on the sound. Use these vowel activities for kindergarten with preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this cvc words activity! Use this as extra practice at home, literacy center in the classroom, or supplement to your homeschool phonics program.
Free printable missing vowel worksheets
Printable missing vowels puzzles
Now cut the printable into cards. Finally, gather up clothes pins and magnetic letters or dry erase markers to complete the phonics activity with preschoolers, kindergartners, and first graders.
CVC missing vowel worksheets
Here are a few ideas on using these with your students or children.
If you have not done an activity like this before, begin by reviewing the vowels. We like to sing Old MacDonald had a vowel, A – E – I – O – U.
Next, go through each vowel and have your child practice saying the sounds. After that warm-up, you are ready to start the activity.
Missing vowels worksheets pdf
What is the missing vowel?
At the beginning, I would suggest doing this activity with adult support.
- Start by saying the picture.
- If your child is able, have them say the word broken up where each sound is emphasized.
- b – a – t
- Next, ask what sound do they hear in the middle. If needed, you can say emphasize the b and then pause to see if they will fill in what you did earlier. If that doesn’t work, then just have them repeat each sound with you. When they make the “a” sound, ask them to point to the vowel that makes that sound.
- When they have chosen the sound, have them place the vowel on the blank space and point to each letter as they say each sound.
- Finally, let them use the clothespins to mark the correct letter. It never hurts to get in some extra fine motor practice.
Work through rest of the clip cards, and then slowly pull back so they can become independent. At the end, they will be more comfortable with each vowel sound and the fact that every word has a vowel. This activity uses CVC Words. Looking for more practice, try 35 CVC Words Activities.
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- See all our Vowels activities here
- Short e CVC Words Cut & Paste Booklet
- Scarecrow CVC Word Mats
- CVC Games Kindergarten
- Planting Carrot CVC Words Activity
- Hands-on CVC Words valentine cvc worksheets
- CVC words with pictures pdf Printable
- Color-the-Letter to spell the picture, Free Printable CVCe Worksheets
- Free Printable Short Vowel Worksheets
- Monster Match CVC Words Worksheets
- Farm CVC Animal Words
- Sundae CVC words worksheets for kindergarten pdf free
- “at” CVC Word family worksheets pdf
- Heart Penguin CVC Words
- Dab-a-Dot CVC Worksheets Mazes
- See TONS of fun an dfree CVC Activities here!
- Super cute and handy, Free CVC Puzzles
- Christmas CVC Words Clip Cards
- Middle Sounds Clip Cards
- Ending Sounds Clip Cards (or version 2)
- Secret CVC Words Worksheets – Beginning Sounds with Magnetic Letters
- Detective Case File Crack the Code CVC Words
- Free, Black and White CVC Crack the Code Worksheets
- Crack the Code CVC Words Worksheets
- Peter Pan CVC Coloring Pages
- Crayon CVC Words Activity
- Caterpillar Spring CVC Words
- Baseball CVC Rhyming Words
- Build a Snowman Winter CVC Words Practice
- Ice Cream CVC Word Match & Build
- Bee CVC Worrksheets pdf
- Easter CVC Words Activity
- Christmas CVC Words on Santa’s Sleigh
- Star Wars CVC Games
- 4th of July CVC Words Activity
- Cooking Up Rhymes: Read & Dab CVC Words Activity
- Going on a Bear Hunt CVC Games Online
- Baseball CVC Rhyming Words
- Lion Rhyming Words Activity
- Roll and Read CVC Sentences
- Short a Worksheets Cut & paste Booklet
- Pirate cvc words short a
- Short A Books free Emergent Reader
- Detective Short e cvc worksheets
- Short i Words cvc worksheets cut and paste pdf
- Short I Words Emergent Reader
- Farm short i cvc words worksheets
- Short o Worksheets Cut & Paste Booklet
- Scarecrow Short o Words Printable
- Short u Worksheets Cut & Paste Booklet
- Short u CVC words Printable cut and paste activity
- CVC Words Middle Sounds in Words Clip Cards
- CVC Ending Sounds Clip Cards or this other set of CVC Ending Sound clip cards
- Missing Vowels Puzzles Free Clip Cards
- Popsicle Rhyme & Dab CVC Words Practice
- Airplane Rhyming Words CVC Words Worksheets
- CVC Games pdf – Word Bump
- Spring Bird CVC Word Activity
- Ice Cream CVC Word Activities
Don’t miss all our free printable worksheets for kindergarten and kindergarten activites with 300,000+ different ideas to make learning FUN! Or sneak in some seasonal kids activities to make the most of these precious early years! Have other children you are homeschooling? You will want to check out our pre k worksheets, first grade worksheets, and free alphabet printables. Plus find our history for kids and easy science experiments for kids or all our free printable worksheets for kids.
Fill in the missing vowels
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
Love all the resources!!!!
Thank you for the free printable.