Help kids practice short i words with this super cute, free printable cvc words emergent reader. Simply download the pdf and you are ready to practice reading words with short i vowel sound. These early readers are perfect for kindergarten and first grade students.
Short i Words
This week we are working on short i words and I wanted a free printable reader that would help them focus on the reading words with a short i vowel as well as some of the sight words we have been working on. This cvc reader is perfect for kindergartners and grade 1 students. Whether you are a parent looking for summer learning or extra practice, a teacher adding to a literacy center in your classroom, or a homeschooler adding hands-on practice to your phonics curriculum – you will love this free resource!
Printable emergent reader books
Short i Word
With just a little cutting, this book will be ready for your little ones!
- First, print off the pages. You may want to read through them and see if there are any you don’t want to use. Some of the sentences get longer or have harder sight words. If your child is not ready for those, then you can save some ink and not print those.
- Next, cut them out.
- Finally, staple them together or place on a ring and you are ready to go!
Words with short i
Before I pulled this book out for my twins to read, we did some CVC practice.
You can find CVC activities to do like these “short i” puzzles, or you can simply grab letters and let your kiddos build the words.
We began by building the word kid. I emphasized the sound of each letter, while my twins told me the letter and found it in their letter pile.
Once we built the word kid, we began playing with that word. At first, I had the make rhyming words like Sid and hid.
Then we went back to the word kid and changed it to kit. Teachers, this is a tough one…..but an essential skill when we want our children to move past reading word family words.
If you are building words, here are some words you may want to work on.
Short i Printables
After reviewing CVC words, we then turned our focus to the sight words we have been working on. Diligently we have played games with some simple sight words that are found over and over in easy reading and harder books.
While I’m reading to them, I have pointed out these sight words and they have been amazed to see all the places these special words showed up.
But right before we began to ready, I grabbed some index cards. I wrote down the sight words that are found in this book, and we played “Match it”. You know, that fun game where you turn over two cards at once and see if they match. What is awesome, is that even if they don’t match, they had to read the word…..so we were getting a lot of great reading practice!!!
The words you may want to include in a game are……
It is almost time to read. But before you jump in, I highly suggest a picture walk. Take a few minutes and look at the pictures in the book.
Let your child describe what they see, and have them practice saying the “short i” word that is being represented.
When my little boy got to the picture of the car, he wanted to tell me about the car. This was a great time to discuss what was happening in the picture, and for him to see that someone was fixing the car.
Teaching our children to read is a wonderful privilege, and I hope this book helps you as you focus on “short i” words. ”
FREE CVC Words Printables
- Short o Words cvc Cut and paste Printable
- Short i cvc worksheets cut and paste pdf
- Short E CVC Words Booklet
- Short a CVC Word Book
- CVC Words Activity with bricks
- 25 Fun CVC Activities
- CVC Middle Sounds Clip Cards
- CVC Word Puzzles Free Printable
- Crack the Code CVC Words Printable
- Crayon CVC Words Activity
Download Short i Words Emergent Reader
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.