Does your child need extra practice sounding out and spelling cvc words? These handy CVCE worksheets are a great way to help kids practice long and short vowels. These free printable long and short vowels worksheets are perfect for first grade and 2nd grade students. Use the short vowel worksheets to sound out and then spell CVC and CVCe. These are great for reading and spelling practice for first grade and 2nd grade. Simply print pdf file with free short and long vowel assessment and you are ready to play and learn!
These long and short vowel worksheets are a great way for kids to improve their reading with phonics.Kids will sound out CVC Words, color the right letters to build the cvce words, and write the word on the ruled line. This long and short vowels activity is perfect for grade 1 and grade 2 students!
They also help them work on when to add the silent e! Have you ever been there? You were certain your child knew something. Never would have even thought about teaching that concept because there was no need. And then, they are forced to do that skill in isolation…and it becomes glaringly obvious that they aren’t even close to understanding it. Well, that happened to us this week. My first grader is a good reader for his age. Yes, we are still plugging along with phonics skills, but I’m incredibly proud of the hard-fought progress he has made. But I discovered that he doesn’t quite understand CVCe words or long vowel words that end in a silent e. These cvce words worksheets are sure to help master the skill to improve reading and spelling. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – these first grade printables and 2nd grade printables are handy for practicing spelling and reading at home, liteacy center in the classroom, or as a supplement to your homeschool reaidng curriculum.
Long and Short vowels worksheets
Short Vowel Worksheets
When children first begin to read we normally introduce them to words like cap, pin, tot, and tub. These are CVC words, words that have a consonant, vowel (a,e,i,o,u) and then another consonant. When we see words like this, it lets us know that the vowel is short. Once are kiddos master those, it is time to move unto long vowels. Long vowels are the vowels that say their name. A long a will make the same sound as you say this is the letter A. There are so many rules about making a vowel long, but today we will only focus on one. The silent e! When you take a CVC word and put a e on it, an amazing thing happens. The vowel becomes long and the e silent. Cap is no longer a thing you place on your head, it is a cape on your back that makes you superman. The pin no longer pricks you, because it is a pine tree. Tots aren’t running around the house, but you might be carrying a tote. And no more soaking in a tub, you just have a tube of toothpaste.
Short and Long Vowels
This is truly a no prep activity.
- First, print off the short and long vowel worksheets
- Then finish off the prep work by gathering up pencils and crayons.
Long Vowel vs Short Vowel
The first step is to make sure that the children know the names of each picture! On the directions page, I’ve listed the name of each picture to help you out. Next, they can color in the picture. Now comes the fun part….the sounding out. The children sound out the word and color in the letters they hear. What makes this challenging is that there are short and long vowel words included. Our little ones have to sound out the first three letters, and then decide if a silent e is needed. I love this because the student must understand the silent e rule to correctly complete this. Finally, they can get in some extra handwriting practice by writing out the word! Even though my son has struggled with this concept, he is a little boy that loves to color. This was right up his ally and he had a blast. He even colored the squares, all while working on spelling CVCe words!! (possible picture of colored in paper) You’ve Got This Rachel Other Short Vowel and Long Vowel Practice: Long A vs Short A Game Short E Word Work
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- See all our Vowels activities here
FREE CVC Words Printables
- Short i cvc worksheets cut and paste pdf
- Short E CVC Words Booklet
- Crack the Code CVC Word Worksheets
- Short a CVC Word Book
- CVC Words Activity with bricks
- 25 Fun CVC Activities
- CVC Middle Sounds Clip Cards
- CVC Word Puzzles Free Printable
- Crack the Code CVC Words Printable
- Crayon CVC Words Activity
1st grade worksheets
Looking for more fun and free first grade math resources? You will love these FREE printables for 1st grade math:
- Pumpkin Math Activity
- Math Mysteries – Addition and Subtractin Math Puzzles
- Tic-Tac-Toe Addition Math Game
- Bubble Gum Math Worksheets for 1st Graders
- Spring Addition Math Game
- Solve and Stamp Math Worksheets
- Clever Addition Mini Book
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Short and Long vowel sounds
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.