Does your child need extra practice sounding out and spelling cvc words? These handy CVCE worksheets are a great way to help kids practice long and short vowels. These free printable long and short vowels worksheets are perfect for first grade and 2nd grade students. Use the short vowel worksheets to sound out and then spell CVC and CVCe. These are great for reading and spelling practice for first grade and 2nd grade. Simply print pdf file with free short and long vowel assessment and you are ready to play and learn!
These long and short vowel worksheets are a great way for kids to improve their reading with phonics.Kids will sound out CVC Words, color the right letters to build the cvce words, and write the word on the ruled line. This long and short vowels activity is perfect for grade 1 and grade 2 students!
They also help them work on when to add the silent e! Have you ever been there? You were certain your child knew something. Never would have even thought about teaching that concept because there was no need. And then, they are forced to do that skill in isolation…and it becomes glaringly obvious that they aren’t even close to understanding it. Well, that happened to us this week. My first grader is a good reader for his age. Yes, we are still plugging along with phonics skills, but I’m incredibly proud of the hard-fought progress he has made. But I discovered that he doesn’t quite understand CVCe words or long vowel words that end in a silent e. These cvce words worksheets are sure to help master the skill to improve reading and spelling. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – these first grade printables and 2nd grade printables are handy for practicing spelling and reading at home, liteacy center in the classroom, or as a supplement to your homeschool reaidng curriculum.
Short vowel worksheets
Long and short vowels worksheets
When children first begin to read we normally introduce them to words like cap, pin, tot, and tub. These are CVC words, words that have a consonant, vowel (a,e,i,o,u) and then another consonant. When we see words like this, it lets us know that the vowel is short. Once are kiddos master those, it is time to move unto long vowels. Long vowels are the vowels that say their name. A long a will make the same sound as you say this is the letter A. There are so many rules about making a vowel long, but today we will only focus on one. The silent e! When you take a CVC word and put a e on it, an amazing thing happens. The vowel becomes long and the e silent. Cap is no longer a thing you place on your head, it is a cape on your back that makes you superman. The pin no longer pricks you, because it is a pine tree. Tots aren’t running around the house, but you might be carrying a tote. And no more soaking in a tub, you just have a tube of toothpaste.
Short and long vowel worksheets
This is truly a no prep activity.
- First, print off the short and long vowel worksheets
- Then finish off the prep work by gathering up pencils and crayons.
Long and short vowel worksheets
The first step is to make sure that the children know the names of each picture! On the directions page, I’ve listed the name of each picture to help you out. Next, they can color in the picture. Now comes the fun part….the sounding out. The children sound out the word and color in the letters they hear. What makes this challenging is that there are short and long vowel words included. Our little ones have to sound out the first three letters, and then decide if a silent e is needed. I love this because the student must understand the silent e rule to correctly complete this. Finally, they can get in some extra handwriting practice by writing out the word! Even though my son has struggled with this concept, he is a little boy that loves to color. This was right up his ally and he had a blast. He even colored the squares, all while working on spelling CVCe words!! (possible picture of colored in paper) You’ve Got This Rachel Other Short Vowel and Long Vowel Practice: Long A vs Short A Game Short E Word Work
Short vowel sounds worksheets
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- Dot Marker Long a sound Worksheets
- PrintableLong Ai Words Game
- Long a Words Clip Cards
- Spelling Long A Sound Words Worksheet
- Identifying long and short vowel sounds worksheets pdf
- See all our Vowels activities here
CVC word printables
Looking for more fun ways for kids to practice cvc words? You will love these FREE resoources
- Short o Words cvc Cut and paste Printable
- Short i cvc worksheets cut and paste pdf
- Short E CVC Words Booklet
- Short a CVC Word Book
- CVC Words Activity with bricks
- 25 Fun CVC Activities
- CVC Middle Sounds Clip Cards
- CVC Word Puzzles Free Printable
- Crack the Code CVC Words Printable
- Crayon CVC Words Activity
- Reading Words Free CVC Printables
- Short a words Reader
- Caterpillar CVC Word mats
- Snowman CVC Words Activity
- BUMP! CVC Words Game
- Christmas CVC Words Printable
- Planting Carrots CVC Activity for Kindergarten
- Secret Decoder CVC Word Activities
Worksheets for Grade 1
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on 1st grade Worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf free
- Fun-to-Read Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- Free Printable 1st Grade Book Report template
- Kid favorite, FREE Cut and Paste Worksheets for a variety of subjects!
- Sight Words Printable List
- First Grade Word Search
- Fun, free printable punctuation games for kids
- Phonics Dab the th worksheets
- sh, ch, th word Digraph Games
- Ending Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Cut and Paste L Blends Worksheets
- LOTS more free printable phonics worksheets and games
Free printable worksheets for 1st grade
Looking for even more grade 1 worksheets to review skills while having fun? Check out these resources:
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Bingo Shapes Game
- Color the Coin Money Coloring Pages
- Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery
- Printable Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Game
- Free Hundreds Tens and Ones Worksheets
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
1st Grade Science
Dive into some outrageousl fun science with our hands-on experiments and first grade worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- EASY Lemon Battery Experiment
- 12 Hands-on Battery Experiment Ideas for Kids
- Mind-blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Magnet experiments for Kids
- Balloon Solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities plus other projects
- Phases of the Moon for Kids – worksheets, activities, Oreo moon phases, and more
- Weather Unit with worksheets and hands-on weather activities for kids
- Learn the planet names with this Solar System for Kids Lesson plus tons of other Solar System Project Ideas
Grade 1 Science
Plus don’t miss these worksheets for grade 1
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Dive into the amazing world of botany with this plants for kids lessons
- Learn about LOTS of life cycles for kids (panda, spider, watermelon, bee, sunflower, spider, and more!)
- TONS of fun Human Body for Kids activities, expeirments, and free printables too!
- Free Scientific Method Worksheets
Free first grade worksheets
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables. Plus don’t miss all our fun, free, and immersive history lessons for kids and our other worksheet for grade 1
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Free Printable States and Capitals Matching Game
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty,and more!
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Ready to dive more in depth? Check out Country Study for Kids – look at 16 countries around the world up close
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Research and learn with these free Children around the World Worksheets
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- You can find all our FREE printable country coloring pages covering over 36 different nations – or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, Germany Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, printable math games, language arts worksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages!
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.