When your first grader student is ready to move on to long vowel sounds, you will love this handy vowel activity. This long a sound words worksheet uses letter tiles for a hands-on long vowel activity for grade 1. Simply print long a sound words pdf file and you are ready to play and learn!
Long A Sound Words Worksheet
When you are teaching kids to read, it begins with a focus on short vowels. It starts with simple CVC words like cat, and then you begin to add blends to make words like cast. But finally, your grade 1 student is ready to move onto spelling long vowel word. Typically they are introduced one long vowel at a time. This long vowel activity focuses on the long a sound. Some common long a sound words include braid, paint, hay, and stay. This long a sound words worksheet is a fun, quick, and NO PREP way to practice.
Long A Sound Words
Long a sound
Before starting this activity, you will want to practice spelling these words with your kiddos. There needs to be direct instruction regarding the sound the a makes when they see “ay” or “ai”.
Once they have practiced making the “long a” sound, then it is time to practice spelling the words.
You can start by having them spell all the “ay” words: bay, day, say, ray, fray, bray, gray, pray, spray, stray, and sway are just a few you could start with.
Then let them practice spelling “long a” words using “ai”: rain, braid, brain, strain, train, paint, paid, pail, mail, sail, tail, nail, chain,
Long Vowel Activity
Parents, teachers, and homeschoolers will appreciate that this long a vowel activity requires very little prep-work.
If you prefer, you could place the sheets in a sheet protector and get dry erase markers.
Long a spellings
Now it is time to see if your kiddos can remember when to use ay vs ai.
- First, say the word the picture on your long a worksheets represents.
- They let your child spell the word using the letters ai or ay.
- Once they have spelled it, have them read it by running their finger under each letter and saying that sound. Remember to focus on correctly making the “long a” sound. When you move into reading the words independently, you want them to recognize that “ay” and “ai” make the “long a” sound.
- When they are done, ask them if they notice anything. They may see that “ay” is used at the end of the word, while most of the time “ai” is used in the middle of the word.
Have you little ones do these sheets numerous times. Once they are comfortable spelling “long a” words, they will also be ready to start reading them.
Long vowel sounds worksheets
Looking for more practice with the long a sound? Check out these free printables:
- Dot Marker Long a sound Worksheets
- PrintableLong Ai Words Game
- Long a Words Clip Cards
- Spelling Long A Sound Words Worksheet
- Identifying long and short vowel sounds worksheets pdf
Looking for more fun, clever spelling games and free spelling worksheets? You will love these resources:
- Short and Long Vowel Worskheets for hands-on Spelling Practice
- Connect 4 Spelling Practice Worksheets
- Fun, Secret Code Spelling Worskheet
- Consonant Cluster Spelling Practice
- Hands-on Spelling Practice with Mini Cups
- 25 spelling activities for kids
- Spelling with Legos activity for kids
- Kindergarten Spelling Words – add a vowel practice
- Sensory spelling activities
- 1st Grade Word Search– free printable with grade 1 spelling words
- Money Spelling Activity
- Free Kindergarten spelling words Printable
- Dart Gun spelling activity
- Jump and Spell – an outrageously FUN spelling activity
- Floss Rule Worksheet
- Spelling Long A Words Activity
- Lego Spelling Test for Kids Printables
- Free Spelling Dictionary
- TH Worksheets – re-usable activity to help kids work on th sounds
- Mitten Beginning Sounds Matching is a fun Winter Activities for Kindergarten –
- Spring activities Kindergarten for working on consonant blends with digraph blends
- Ending Blends nk Clip Cards Activity
- Robot Long E Sound Puzzles – “ea” Vowel Team Activities
- Ice Cream Themed Digraph kindergarten summer activities – sneak in some summer learning to improve reading skills with these cute, educational puzzles.
- Clip Cards are a fun Consonant blends activities – help kids learn to combine letters to make digraph sounds
- Spring Initial Blends Worksheets – super cute activity for helping kids master blends
- Graph a blends activities for 2nd graders – fun combination of math and language arts
- Color by blend worksheet – this is a fun way for kids to practice learning blends
- Consonant Blend Cluster Spelling Mats – hands on activity learning blends
- Kindergarten Word Families Sliders – help kids practice sounding out blends in words with this fun, transportation themed reading activity for early readers.
- Reading and Writing qu words Worksheets
- Cut-and-Paste Trigraphs Worksheets
- Color and Read Book with Trigraphs List for practicing trigraphs pr, squ, and str
- Free Readers to Color and Read MORE words from Trigraphs List
- thr words Playdough Mats
- Hot Cocoa Phonics makes fun winter activities for kindergarten
- Phonics Beginning Sounds Worksheets are a NO prep kindergarten worksheets to improve phonics skills.
- Christmas Phonics by making a Christmas trees by putting together words with the same beginning sounds.
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Lots of fun Chapter Books for 1st Graders wth free printable list
- Free Book Report Template to print and use with any book
- Long ee Words BINGO – Vowel Teams Game
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets make learning FUN!
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Free Sight Words Printable List
- 1st Grade Word Search Printable
- Free Printable 1st grade math worksheets to print and practice
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of FREE Kindergarten Writing Prompts
- Cut and Paste Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Telling Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE 250+ page Unit with activities, experiments, information, and Ocean Animal Worksheets
- Discover 16 amazing places around the world with these Country worksheets Study
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal printables with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
long vowel sounds worksheets
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (to share please direct others to this post to grab their own set!)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!