These free ‘ow’ sliders are a great way to practice reading words with the ow sound like cow and brown. I love sliders to quickly work on certain sounds. It allows kindergarten and first graders to quickly practice phonics ow wordsb over and over again. And so as we continue to work on vowel teams, I made some sliders to help her work on the phonics ow sound. Simply print vowel printables and you are ready to work on reading and spelling skills.
Words with the ow Sound
As we have made our way through the vowel teams, we have learned that the English language can be quite confusing. There are two different ways to make the /ow/ sound. You can make it with /ou/ like in ouch. (The crazy thing is that /ou/ also makes the /oo/ sound like in soup.) But the other way to make the /ow/ sound, and our focus today, is with an ow like in crown or owl. So what rule or generalization can we make for these two vowel teams? Normally, when you hear the /ow/ sound at the beginning or middle of a syllable you use the /ou/. Think about words like out or shout.
When the sound /ow/ is heard at the end of a syllable or word, you use /ow/. You see this in words like now, how, or plow. BUT, remember this is English, so there are some exceptions. When the /ow/ sound is followed by a ”l” or a “n”, you still get to use the /ow/. Some examples of words that have a syllable end in “owl” are owl, howl, and growl. While words that have a syllable that ends in “own” are down, clown, and town.It is also important to note that this only applies when it ends with just a “n” or “l”. Words like count and found use the /ou/ because the “l” and the “n” are not alone.
Phonics ow words
Phonics ow sound
These sliders require just a little cutting and you are ready to go.
- First, print off the pages on cardstock paper.
- Next, cut out the picture and strips.
- Then, cut on the dotted lines.
- Finally, slide the strips into the slits you just cut, and you are ready to go. Now, your /ow/ sliders are ready to use.
ow sound words with pictures
As you use the sliders this is a great time to review the rules of /ow/. With the cow, you can remind your little ones that when a syllable ends with the /ow/ sound, you use ow. Then when it is time to use the crown, it is a perfect time to review that a word or syllable can end with /own/.
The owl will help your kiddo remember that we use /ow/ when the next sound is a “l”.
Finally, we have the words that end with /er/ like flower. What is important to note, is that /er/ is a separate syllable. It is an r-controlled vowel. So words like power and tower follow the rule. The first syllable is pow and the second syllable is er. So of course we use the /ow/ because the syllable end with the /ow/ sound. As your little ones read these words, it will help reinforce the fun rules of /ow/.
Long o Vowel Teams
- Free printable ow sound sliders
- Race to the top ou sound words game
- Cut and paste oa and oe worksheets
- Color by phonics sound oo words for kids
- Phonics puzzles with vowel team oa
- Snowman Phonics Activity Reading oi sound Words
Long vowel sounds worksheets
Looking for more practice with the long a sound? Check out these free printables:
- Dot Marker Long a sound Worksheets
- PrintableLong Ai Words Game
- Long a Words Clip Cards
- Spelling Long A Sound Words Worksheet
- Identifying long and short vowel sounds worksheets pdf
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- See all our Vowels activities here
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on 1st grade Worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf free
- Fun-to-Read Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- Free Printable 1st Grade Book Report template
- Kid favorite, FREE Cut and Paste Worksheets for a variety of subjects!
- Sight Words Printable List
- First Grade Word Search
- Phonics Dab the th worksheets
- sh, ch, th word Digraph Games
- Ending Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Cut and Paste L Blends Worksheets
- LOTS more free printable phonics worksheets and games
1st Grade Math
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Printable Number Bond Games
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Bingo Shapes Game
- Color the Coin Money Coloring Pages
- Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery
- Printable Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Game
- Free Hundreds Tens and Ones Worksheets
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
1st Grade Science
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- EASY Lemon Battery Experiment
- 12 Hands-on Battery Experiment Ideas for Kids
- Mind-blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Magnet experiments for Kids
- Balloon Solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities plus other projects
- Phases of the Moon for Kids – worksheets, activities, Oreo moon phases, and more
- Weather Unit with worksheets and hands-on weather activities for kids
- Learn the planet names with this Solar System for Kids Lesson plus tons of other Solar System Project Ideas
Grade 1 Science
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Dive into the amazing world of botany with this plants for kids lessons
- Learn about LOTS of life cycles for kids (panda, spider, watermelon, bee, sunflower, spider, and more!)
- TONS of fun Human Body for Kids activities, expeirments, and free printables too!
- Free Scientific Method Worksheets
United States Lesson for Kids
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables. Plus don’t miss all our fun, free, and immersive history lessons for kids
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Free Printable States and Capitals Matching Game
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty,and more!
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Ready to dive more in depth? Check out Country Study for Kids – look at 16 countries around the world up close
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Research and learn with these free Children around the World Worksheets
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- You can find all our FREE printable country coloring pages covering over 36 different nations – or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, Germany Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
ow phonics worksheets
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.