This cute snowman themed oi sound words activity is great for helping first graders improve reading and spelling skills! The sound oi is another vowel team that early learners need to master as they learn phonics skills. SImply print oi sound words printable and you are ready to read, play, and learn!
oi Sound Words
Working though the vowel teams seem endless. We have covered so many already, and now we are heading into another with a fun sound – sound oi. As we learn abou tthe vowel team that makes the oi sound words, grade 1 students will continue improving phonics skills as they read and spell oi phonics. Thisoi sound phonics has a fun winter theme perfect for 1st graders to work on during December, January, and February! Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler, you will love this oi sound activity!
The Vowel Team /oi/
This week my little girl is focusing on the letters oi. Many times when two letters are together, the first one does the talking. In other words the frist letter of the vowel team makes a long sound or says it’s name. But that is not the case with this vowel team. It make the sound heard in words like oil, rejoice, soy, and decoy. Now you may have noticed that there are two main ways of making this fun sound. The first way is with they oy. It is found at the end of the word or at the end of a syllable. And we will focus on that in another lesson. The other way is with the oi. It is found at the beginning of words or syllables (like oil), or in the middle of words or syllables (like soil). And today, I have a simple activity to get our little ones reading and writing these /oi/ words.
With just a few materials this activity will be ready to play.
- First, print off the pages you want your student to work on.
- If you want them to be used over and over, laminate them or place them in sheet protectors.
- Next, gather up a pencil and paper clip, purchase a spinner, or use a brad and arrow to creat a spinner.
- Finally, provide a dry erase marker or pencil and you are ready to go.
oi sound phonics
Now it is time to practice reading oi words. Before you begin, remind your little ones what sound the /oi/ makes, and let them practice saying that sound out loud.
Next, have them tell you where we will find the /oi/. (At the beginning and middle of a word or syllable.) Then have them predict which word they will read the most, least, etc.
And it is time to play:
- First, have your little one spin the spinner.
- Next, let them read the word out loud.
- Now. have them find that word on the graph.
- Finally, have them write the words in the rectangles above the word.
Keep doing this until one column is completely filled up. And you can end by checking to see if their predictions were correct.
It is just another way to practice reading oi words.
Long o Vowel Teams
- Free printable ow sound sliders
- Race to the top ou sound words game
- Cut and paste oa and oe worksheets
- Color by phonics sound oo words for kids
- Phonics puzzles with vowel team oa
- Snowman Phonics Activity Reading oi sound Words
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Long ee Words BINGO – Vowel Teams Game
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- Irregular Vowels Activity with Verb Sliders
- See all our Vowels activities here
Looking for more blends activities for young learners? You will love these resources:
- Final Consonant Ending Blends Games
- Ending s Blends worksheets with do a dot markers
- Practice Consonant Blends with cute printable puzzles
- Slide and Read Blends Activity
- Beginning Blends Fall Activities for 1st Grade
- Blue Bird Sorting Blends Activity
- Read and Color Ending Blends Worksheets
- Mitten Initial Blends Winter Activities for 1st Grade
- Initial Blends Matching Game for kids
- Do a Dot Ending Blends Worksheet
- Ending Blends Bingo Dauber Worksheets
- Ch, Sh, Th Digraph Game
- Read and Clip Consonant Blends Activities
- Handy L Blends Worksheets with magenetic letters
- Graph a Blends Activities for 2nd graders
- Floss Rule Worksheets
- Free Printable Color by Blend Worksheet
- Ending S Blends Clip Cards
- Printable nk Ending Blends Clip Cards
- NG Words for Kids Game
- BIngo Dabber ng and nk worksheets
- Th Worksheets – Read th blends in sentences
- R Controlled Vowel Worksheets
- Free printable Blends Worksheets with dot markers
- Practice ed Endings with Free Printable BINGO Game
- FREE Printable ed Endings Worksheets
- Learn about the Three Sounds of Ed with these handy free phonics worksheets
Winter science activities for preschoolers
Looking for more fun winter science projects for kids? We’ve got lots of fun ideas for you to try!
- Super Cool Snow Volcano Science Experiment
- Melting Snowman Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Eruptions – Simple Winter Science Experiments
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Easy Exploding Snowman – Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activity
- Erupting Snow Winter Science Experiment
- How to Make Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
Snowman Activities for Kids
- S is for Snowman Theme
- Easy Circle Sticker Snowman Craft
- Plastic Cup Snowman Craft
- EASY Glue Snowman Crafts for Preschoolers
- How to Make Snow Ice Cream with just 2 ingredients!
- 100 Winter Crafts and Activities for Kids
- Making historic SNOW CANDY!
- Squirt Gun Snow Painting
- Snow Dough for Kids
- Amazingly EASY Puffy Snow Paint Recipe
- LOTS of Snowflake Crafts A to Z
- Super Cool Snow Volcano Science Experiment
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Cute Snow globe Craft for Kids
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Snowman Counting Cards
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Winter Counting Worksheets
- Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Printables Winter letter Find
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Snowman Printables Counting Book
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Winter Telling Time Worksheets
- Snowflake Dab the Letter
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
Phonics oi words
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.