If learning upper and lowercase letters is a priority it is important to work on alphabet matching. This free printable alphabet matching game has a fun pencil theme that is a perfect back to school game. Use this first day of school activitity with preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten age kids too. Simply print the alphabet matching activity and you are ready to play and learn your abcs!
This Pencil ABC Game is such a simple way to incorporate some Back to School fun into mastering letters and sounds, ABC order and even CVC words! If you looking for a fun alphabet activity for your preschoolers or kindergartners then this alphabet matching activity is the perfect activity for them! Its hands-on and engaging and most of all its a low-prep activity which you can easily prep for your learners! So simply print the Pencil Alphabet Matching Activity and get learning!
Alphabet Matching Game
Alphabet Matching Activity
Alphabet letter recognition is a basic principle that preschoolers and kindergarteners need to learn. Using hands-on matching activities is a fun and engaging method to help learners practice and learn their alphabet letters.
Hands-On Back to School Activities
If you are on the lookout for a back to school activity for your learners this is a perfect activity! You can even pair up learners together and get them to match the uppercase to the lowercase letters. They can even use magnetic letters instead of the included alphabet tiles.
If you are looking for more Hands-on Back to School Activities for Kindergarten which cover both math and literacy concepts, then this Bundle of Back to School Activities is perfect for your learners!
Pencil Letters Alphabet Matching Activity
This is a fun and hands-on alphabet printable that learners will be able to use over and over again. Once this center is printed and prepped, simply store the cards in a ziplock bag and you will have a mess free method of storing this printable.
- Free printable (at the end of this post)
- Dry-erase markers
- Magnetic alphabet letters
Back to School Letter Recognition Matching Activity
To prep this activity simply print out the pages and laminate them. Cut apart to create the task cards and the alphabet tiles. You can opt to store them in a task card box for easy storage.
Now you are ready to play!
Matching Alphabet Letters
To play the game, first spread out the alphabet task cards and the alphabet tiles. Start off with a few letters and then increase the number of letters over time.
Then pick up one of the lowercase letters and place it onto the matching uppercase task card. Explain to your learners that the lowercase and uppercase letters have to be matched together. Then present a few for your learners to do as well.
Continue doing this until all the letters have been matched together.
More Ideas with the Pencil Alphabet Activity
Use magnetic letters instead of the alphabet tiles to provide a more hands-on experience.
Learners can also use the alphabet tiles to build their names, CVC words or any other words they might want to spell. This makes for a fun pencil spelling game!
Learners can use this as a fun visual discrimination and alphabet activity where they need to recognize alphabet letters and practice uppercase to lowercase matching!
First Day of School Printables
Get ready for the first day of school with your 1st day signs, a fun game, 1st day of school craft, and these cute coloring pages!
- First Day of School Signs
- Free Printable First Day of Preschool Sign
- Back to School BINGO
- Celebrate by making a cute, free printable First Day of School Preschool Craft
- First Day of School Hat Craft for Kindergartners
- Printable Back to School Coloring Pages
Back to School Printables
We have lots of other fun, clever back to school worksheets to help kids get excited about going back to school! Check out these free resources:
- School Supplies tracing lines worksheets for 3 year olds
- Back to School Lego Challenge First Week of School Activities
- Super Cute and Easy Pencil Craft
- Crack the Code Back to School Worksheets – addition and subtraction
- Pencil themed Fraction Puzzles
- Work on phonics and literacy with these adorable Crayon Box CVC Words Activity
- Free Hand Washing Printables
- Lots of clever Back to School Crafts or these Back to School Crafts ideas
- Back to School Pencil Punctuation Activities
- Glue Stick rhyming activities
Back to School Activities
- School Bus Beginning Sounds First Day of School Activities
- Color by Hundreds Chart Back to School Worksheets
- Sticky Number Bonds Worksheets
- School Bus Letter Matching Game
- Glue Stick Number Bonds Worksheets
- What Comes Next Back to School Math
- Back to School Activity with Crayon Box Letter Matching Puzzles
First Day of School Printables
- Cute Crayon Box Craft to work on learning colors
- Back to School themed Number Matching Activity
- I Spy Colors Crayon Worksheet
- First Day Back to School Notes for Kids
- Back to School Theme Preschool
- School Bus Letter Matching Puzzles – First Day of School Activities
- Free Back to School Worksheets Preschool
- I Spy Back to School Worksheets
- School Supplies Tracing Worksheet
- Back to School Color by Number Worksheets
- Cute Back to School Activity Count to 20 Clip Cards
- Pencil themed Counting Puzzles for Preschoolers
- Printable Back to School ABC Games
- Back to School Preschool Number Worksheets 1-10
- Playdough Counting Mat Bus Activities for Preschoolers
- Back to School Printables Bundle
First Day of School Activities
- All About Me Graphic Organizer for the 1st day of school
- Lego All About Me Worksheet
- All About Me Worksheet
- Watermelon All About Me Poster
- Clever All About Me Puzzle
- All About Me Poster Pennants
Back to school Activity
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
>> ABC Matching Puzzles <<
Great idea for my preschoolers. Very useful and fun. Thanks a lot.