Looking for a fun first day of school activity to help grade 1 and grade 2 students work on identifying types sentences and what is the correct ending punctuation? These super cute punctuation activities are a great way to review with a first week of school printable that kids will be excited to use. The ending punctuation worksheet needs to be cut into pencil clip cards. Use a dry erase marker and mini clothespin to complete the punctuation worksheet for grade 1. This punctuation activity for kids works well for a back to school review, during grammar centers, or even throughout the year as review or practice. I had my ESL kids in mind when making these – they will work well for them too!
Ending Punctuation Worksheets
- A4 paper
- Dry erase markers
- Pegs or clothespins
Print as many sets of these strips for the puncuation activities as you need for each group in your class. These can be worked on during literacy stations and in small groups.
Punctuation Marks Espeech marks worksheetxercises
There are 14 strips and 7 editable blank strips for you to add your own sentences to the pack. Print and use a black permanent markers and laminate them before you cut them apart.
To prepare this fun punctuation activities simply:
- Have the kids read the sentence carefully (one strip at a time).
- They will then identify if the sentence is a question, statement, exclamatory or command.
- They will then write the ending punctuation using a dry erase marker.
- Then clip the ending punctuation with a peg.
- As an extension activity, I get my students to copy those sentences in their books. This is completely optional but it does help them develop their writing skills too.
These strips can be differentiated, so you can definitely use the empty editable page and add your own sentences to make simpler or more complex sentences for your students depending on their ability.
This is a great way to help kids practice and develop their grammar skills in a fun and engaging way. Do you ELL kids need more activities? My students always do! It’s essential that we provide them with plenty of ways to practice their grammar skills for improved language development.
HINT: YOu can use a sharpie to note the correct answer on the back to make this language arts activity self-checking!
Sentence Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun ways for kids to learn to write a sentence. Try these:
- Pizza Parlor Sentence Building Games
- Trace and Write Sentences with primer sight words Worksheets
- Hands-on Build a Sentence with Lego
- Building pre primer sight word sentences Worksheets
- Fun, Silly Sentences Activity
- S’mores Complete Sentences Game
- Fun Mystery Code Sentences
- Farm Cut and Paste Sentence Worksheets
- Practice adding ending marks with these CUTE Punctuation Activities
Language Arts Activities for Kids
- Cars Punctuation Games
- Cut and Paste Sentences Worksheets
- Connect 4 Spelling Practice Worksheets – work with any list!
- Free Writing Prompts – LOTS for elementary age students with rules lines, creative prompt calendars, and more!
- Detective Themed Dictionary Skills Worksheets
- Taboo Grammar Games for Kids
- Free Printable Synonyms and antonyms worksheets
- Band Aid Contraction Game
- Minion Contraction Games
- Contraction Bingo Game
- Doctor Contraction Words Game
- Synonym Puzzles for Kids
- Printable Homograph Games
- FREE Animal Antonyms Puzzles
- Contraction Dominoes
- Dinosaur Bones Punctuation Game
- Hershey Kiss Word Family Activities
- Ice Cream Word Endings Game
- Marshmallow Incident’s Noun and Verb Games Printable
- Free Spelling Dictionary
- Or learn about parts of speech with Taboo Grammar Game
- Practice Building Sentences with this Pizza Parlor Activity
- Parts of Speech BINGO – practice with noun, verb, adverb, adjectives, and more!
- Free Reading Log Printables – including Cars, Frozen, summer, and so many more!
- S’more Complete Sentences Game
- Solve it! Parts of Speech Games Printable
- Pizza Parlor Sentence Building Games
- Free Book Report Template
First Day of School Printables
Get ready for the first day of school with your 1st day signs, a fun game, 1st day of school craft, and these cute coloring pages!
- First Day of School Signs
- Free Printable First Day of Preschool Sign
- Back to School BINGO
- Celebrate by making a cute, free printable First Day of School Preschool Craft
- First Day of School Hat Craft for Kindergartners
- Printable Back to School Coloring Pages
First Week of School Activities
We have lots of other fun, clever back to school worksheets to help kids get excited about going back to school! Check out these free resources:
- School Supplies tracing lines worksheets for 3 year olds
- Back to School Lego Challenge First Week of School Activities
- Super Cute and Easy Pencil Craft
- Crack the Code Back to School Worksheets – addition and subtraction
- Pencil themed Fraction Puzzles
- Work on phonics and literacy with these adorable Crayon Box CVC Words Activity
- Free Hand Washing Printables
- Lots of clever Back to School Crafts or these Back to School Crafts ideas
- Back to School Pencil Punctuation Activities
- Glue Stick rhyming activities
First Day of School Activities
- School Bus Beginning Sounds First Day of School Activities
- Color by Hundreds Chart Back to School Worksheets
- Sticky Number Bonds Worksheets
- School Bus Letter Matching Game
- Glue Stick Number Bonds Worksheets
- What Comes Next Back to School Math
- Back to School Activity with Crayon Box Letter Matching Puzzles
Back to School Printables
- Cute Crayon Box Craft to work on learning colors
- Back to School themed Number Matching Activity
- I Spy Colors Crayon Worksheet
- Back to School Theme Preschool
- School Bus Letter Matching Puzzles – First Day of School Activities
- Free Back to School Worksheets Preschool
- I Spy Back to School Worksheets
- School Supplies Tracing Worksheet
- Back to School Color by Number Worksheets
- Cute Back to School Activity Count to 20 Clip Cards
- Pencil themed Counting Puzzles for Preschoolers
- Printable Back to School ABC Games
- Back to School Preschool Number Worksheets 1-10
- Playdough Counting Mat Bus Activities for Preschoolers
- Back to School Printables Bundle
Punctuation Exercises with Answers pdf
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.