Let’s celebrate the start of a new school year with these 50 fabulous back to school crafts for preschool, pre k, kindergarten, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students! We have tons of super cute back to school ideas for your first day of school.
Back to School Crafts
No matter when your kids go back to school from August to September for American schools or February for Australians, the lead up to the new school year is always exciting, and maybe a little nerve wracking too! Making these back to school crafts with your kids is a great way to celebrate the new school year, and focusing on the fun aspect of going back to school can help calm those anxious thoughts too.
This list of 50 fun back to school crafts for kids includes lots of fabulous crafty ideas that kids of all ages can make. There are lots of school supply ideas, school bus crafts, pencil crafts and of course apple themed back to school crafts too. There are so many fun back to school crafts and activities to try, the kids will be buys making for days!
Back to School Crafts for Kids
We have tons of really cute and fun to make first day of school crafts for preschoolers, kindergartners, first graders, 2nd graders, and 3rd graders. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler -you will love these fun back to school activities for kids of all ages!
Pencil Crafts for Kids
- Back to School Kindness Pencils Toppers from Coffee and Carpool.
These would make a lovely surprise gift to give to friends when school starts.
- DIY Personalized Pencils from Modge Podge Rocks.
Make a set of these pencils for your kids, or as a gorgeous gift for ateacher!
- Easy Origami Pencil from Red Ted Art.
This quick and easy origami project is perfect for beginners.
- Emoji Pencil Toppers from School Time Snippets.
The kids will love making these fun pencil toppers.
- Pencil Bookmark Craft from Powerful Mothering.
These little pencil bookmarks are fun to make and super cute.
- Minion Pencil Toppers from Artsy Craftsy Mom.
The printable templates makes this beginner sewing craft even easier.
- Craft Stick Pencil Craft from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
This is a great back to school craft to make with the kids.
- Conversation Bubble Pencil Toppers from Lalymom.
These are so fun, I want to make a whole bunch!
- Back to School Pencil Frame Craft from Stir the Wonder.
A picture frame made from pencils, how cool!
- Pencil Clothes Pins from The Educators Spin on It.
Use these adorable pencil clothes pins for a sight word activity, or just to keep your papers organized.
- Pool Noodle Pencil from Lalymom.
Make a giant pencil that really works!!
School Supply Crafts for Kids
- Personalized Backpack Ideas from DIY Candy.
It would be great fun for kids to help personalize their own backpacks.
- Mini School Supplies Notebook Craft from Red Ted Art.
These cute notebooks are really easy to make and fun to use.
- Mermaid School Supplies Kids can Make from Projects with Kids.
Make a mermaid themed notebook, pencil holder, and super cute pencil toppers!
- Fluffy DIY Pencil Case from The Craft Train.
This is a great beginners, hand-sewing, activity.
- No-Sew Zippered Duck Tape Pouch from Happiness is Homemade.
This is such a clever way to make a cute pencil case.
- Bookworm Pencil Holder from Easy Peasy and Fun.
Start saving cardboard tubes so you can make this great pencil organizer.
- DIY Unicorn Pencil Holder from Crafts on Sea.
I’m sure you know someone who would love to make one of these!
- R2D2 Pencil Holder from Crafts By Amanda.
If your kids are Star Wars fans they’ll love this crafty idea.
- Binder Clip Googly Eyes from A Girl and a Glue Gun.
These would make great bookmarks or imagine handing in a school report with one of these cute binder clips on it!
- Personalized School Supplies from B-Inspired Mama.
Jazz up your school supplies with these simple crafty ideas.
- Coloring Page Binder Cover Printable from Balancing Home.
Enjoy coloring in this printable to decorate your school binders.
School Bus Crafts for Kids
- Easy Paper Plate School Bus Craft from Honey and Lime.
Make this cute school bus with just a few basic shapes!
- Easy Origami School Bus from Pink Stripey Socks.
Fold and decorate your own tiny school bus.
- School Bus Discovery Bottle from Moms and Crafters.
Practice cutting skills while making this fun discovery bottle.
- Back to School Photo Frame from I Heart Crafty Things.
This school bus photo frame would make a great gift.
- School Bus Notebook Craft from Messy Little Monster.
This little bus shaped notebook is adorable!
- School Bus of Friends Printable Craft from Barley and Birch.
This such a fun craft to print and make.
- School Bus Process Art Painting from Still Playing School.
This is a awesome process art activity for kids of all ages.
- Upcycled School Bus Pencil Holder from Playtivities.
What a useful craft to make with the kids.
- Craft Stick School Bus Friends from Glued to My Crafts.
Make some of these friendly little school buses.
- Shoe Box School Bus Craft from Craftulate.
This would be so much fun to make together.
- Puffy Paint School Bus Craft from Crafty Morning.
What a fun, textured, painting project to try.
Apple Themed Back to School Crafts
- Tissue Paper Apple Card from Easy Peasy and Fun.
What a gorgeous way to send a teacher or friend a back to school message.
- Pinecone Apple Necklace Craft from Happy Hooligans.
Make these cute necklaces and wear them to the first day of school.
- Paper Plate Apple Craft from I Heart Crafty Things.
How cute is the little worm poking out of this apple!?
- Apple Stress Balls from One Little Project.
This is a fun craft to make and perfect for to soothe back to school nerves.
- Back to School Apple Craft from No Time for Flash Cards.
This cute paint and lace apple craft looks like lots of fun.
- Mixed Media Apple Craft from The Art Kit
These gorgeous red apples would look great displayed on the wall or window.
- DIY Plastic Bottle Apple Gift Box from Red Ted Art.
Pop a little back to school gift in one of these cute apple gift boxes.
- Apple Printed Lunch Bags from Inner Child Fun.
Make a packed lunch cool with these printed lunch bags.
- Q-Tip Painted Back To School Apple Art Project from Glued to My Crafts.
This is a cute craft with a free printable to go with it.
- Back to School Circle Print Apple Art from Arty Crafty Kids.
This gorgeous artwork will look great up on the wall.
- Apple Bookmark Craft from Kids Activities Blog.
These cute apple bookmarks make perfect back to school gifts for friends or teachers.
Back to School Art Projects
- Schoolhouse Picture Frame Craft from Grace Giggles and Naptime.
Make this cute frame and pop in a photo of the first day of school!
- Back to School Countdown Calendar from Coffee and Carpool.
This simple paper chain countdown is a great way to get the kids excited about back to school.
- How to Make Pencil Soaps from STEAM Powered Family.
This back to school craft is also a great science activity!
- Back to School handprint Craft from Fun Handprint Art.
This fun handprint activity makes a lovely back to school keepsake.
- Back to School Silly Face Sandwich Bags from I Heart Crafty Things.
This is a super fun craft do if your kids take a packed lunch to school.
- DIY I-Spy Back to School Craft from There’s Just One Mommy.
This is such a great way to turn all that back to school junk mail into a fun game.
What’s your favorite back to school craft? Will you be making a bookmark? Or perhaps decorating some school supplies? Whatever back to school craft you try I hope you have fun and that this school year is a fabulous one!
Back to School Printables
We have lots of other fun, clever back to school worksheets to help kids get excited about going back to school! Check out these free resources:
- Back to School Crack the Code Printables
- Back to School Printables Bundle
- Glue Stick Rhyming Activity
- Work on phonics and literacy with these adorable Crayon Box CVC Words Activity
- School Bus Letter Matching
- Glue Number Bonds Worksheets
- Work on color recognition with these adorable Crayon Math Craft
- Handy Back to School Number Tracing Worksheets
- Fun Back to School Supplies Counting Clip Cards
- Work on number recognition with these fun Back to School Color by Number
- These super cute back to school coloring pages are sure to get kids excited
- Back to School Hundreds Chart coloring are a fun way to work on numbers to 100 while revealing mystery pictures
- Pencil What Comes Next strips
- Back to School I Spy Worksheets
- First Day of School Preschool Worksheets practice a variety of math & literacy skills
- Make the first day of school FUN with these Back to School BINGO Game