This super cute pencil theme is perfect for some fun, hands-on back to school math. The free printable set comes with several fraction activity to choose from. Complete the fractin puzzles for hands on fractions for kids or go with fraction worksheets for no prep practice for first grade and 2nd graders. The back to school worksheets include roll and color a fractionas well as a graph a fraction option. Simply print the pdf file with the first week of school activities and you are ready to ease back into learning!
Fractions can be a tricky topic for kids. The idea that bigger numbers are smaller fractions is confusing until you see the reason why. But many people never get the chance to see the reason. They just accept that bigger numbers and smaller fractions and memorize the ideas. But math depends on understanding, not just memorization. We need to make sure kids fully understand the reasoning behind fractions so they can apply the logic to other areas in math as well. This handy fraction activity and fraction worksheets allow kids to get practice while having fun with a back to school activity with a cute school supplies theme. Children in grade 1 and grade 2 will enjoy with hands-on way for practicing fractions while having fun. Whether you are a classroom teacher looking for a math center, a parent looking for some supplemental activities, or homeschooler – this is a great set with 3 actities in on free fraction printable!
Free Fraction Worksheets
First Week of School Activities
There are two parts to the pencil fractions pages:
- The first part is pencils cut into fractions to use in hands on comparing fractions.
- The second part is a set of fraction worksheets designed for further fraction practice.
Print the pencil fractions on card stock or use a laminator. Since they are a hands on resource, they tend to get destroyed quickly on regular paper. We just used card stock and they held up well.
The worksheets and dice can be printed on regular paper with no issue
The fraction cards are my favorite way to teach fractions. It’s easy to show that a fraction is part of a whole and that when you cut something into more pieces, each piece is smaller.
But once they are past the basics on fractions, teaching equivalent fractions and how to compare fractions is the next challenging task!
I love using the pencil fraction cards as a visual to fractions.
Notice that all of the pencils are the same exact length. So you can easily compare to sets of fractions
Back to School Worksheets
Comparing fraction images is not the most precise way of comparing fractions. But for fractions as large as 1/5 and 1/6, it should be accurate enough. These cards aren’t meant for doing actual calculations, but more for showing visually that you cannot just guess at what is bigger. A great example is comparing 2/3 and 3/6.
Roll and Color a Fraction
There are multiple fraction worksheets to enhance the fraction cards.
The first is roll and color fractions. The printable set comes with a fraction die. Put it together, then roll it and see what you get! Color (or dab) the fraction you’ve rolled until they’re all gone.
This page can also be used with little coins or something to just cover the fractions. Then the page will be reusable.
The second page is a graphing page. Again, use the die to graph the fractions you’ve rolled!
Looking for more fun fraction games for kids? You will love these free printable fraction printables for kids of all ages.
- No-Prep, Free Printable Fraction Games
- Super cute Pizza Fraction Games
- Earth Day Fraction Pack
- Hands on Easter Fractions Activity
- Printable Fraction Games
- Connect 4 Fractions Game
- Teaching Fractions with Lego
- Back to School Fraction Activity
- Free Printable, Colorful Fraction Bingo
- Pizza Fraction BINGO
- Fraction Flower Puzzle & Worksheets
- Build an Ocean Scene Fraction Activity
- Pirate Reducing Fraction Game for Kids
- 30+ FUN and FREE Fraction Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, printable math games, language arts worksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages!
First Day of School Printables
Get ready for the first day of school with your 1st day signs, a fun game, 1st day of school craft, and these cute coloring pages!
- First Day of School Signs
- Free Printable First Day of Preschool Sign
- Back to School BINGO
- Celebrate by making a cute, free printable First Day of School Preschool Craft
- First Day of School Hat Craft for Kindergartners
- Printable Back to School Coloring Pages
Back to School Printables
We have lots of other fun, clever back to school worksheets to help kids get excited about going back to school! Check out these free resources:
- School Supplies tracing lines worksheets for 3 year olds
- Back to School Lego Challenge First Week of School Activities
- Super Cute and Easy Pencil Craft
- Crack the Code Back to School Worksheets – addition and subtraction
- Pencil themed Fraction Puzzles
- Work on phonics and literacy with these adorable Crayon Box CVC Words Activity
- Free Hand Washing Printables
- Lots of clever Back to School Crafts or these Back to School Crafts ideas
- Back to School Pencil Punctuation Activities
- Glue Stick rhyming activities
Back to School Activities
- School Bus Beginning Sounds First Day of School Activities
- Color by Hundreds Chart Back to School Worksheets
- Sticky Number Bonds Worksheets
- School Bus Letter Matching Game
- Glue Stick Number Bonds Worksheets
- What Comes Next Back to School Math
- Back to School Activity with Crayon Box Letter Matching Puzzles
- Cute Crayon Box Craft to work on learning colors
- Back to School themed Number Matching Activity
- I Spy Colors Crayon Worksheet
- Back to School Theme Preschool
- School Bus Letter Matching Puzzles – First Day of School Activities
- Free Back to School Worksheets Preschool
- I Spy Back to School Worksheets
- School Supplies Tracing Worksheet
- Back to School Color by Number Worksheets
- Cute Back to School Activity Count to 20 Clip Cards
- Pencil themed Counting Puzzles for Preschoolers
- Printable Back to School ABC Games
- Back to School Preschool Number Worksheets 1-10
- Playdough Counting Mat Bus Activities for Preschoolers
- Back to School Printables Bundle
- All About Me Graphic Organizer for the 1st day of school
- Lego All About Me Worksheet
- All About Me Worksheet
- Watermelon All About Me Poster
- Clever All About Me Puzzle
- All About Me Poster Pennants
Back to School Fractions
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.