Kids will have fun playing and snacking on this festive Christmas playdough recipe! All you need are a few simple ingredients to make this edible peppermint playdough recipe that is perfect for celebrating the holiday season in December. This amazing stretchy playdough recipe uses Jello to make it not only fun, but stretchy! Make this Peppermint Playdough with your toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students as a fun Christmas Activity for kids.
Edible peppermint playdough recipe
My daughter has always been a play dough lover. She can spend hours spreading, molding, stretching and forming with play dough. We’ve made play dough so many times we’ve got it down pat, but sometimes it gets boring making the same old play dough. So I had to find a way to mix it up a little. This stretchy playdough recipe is our new favorite! This Christmas Playdough Recipe is perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students to play and learn this Christmas season. The pretty red and white dough will remind you have a peppermint candy or candy cane!
This Edible Peppermint Stretchy Playdough Recipe is sure to be a new favorite play dough recipe that is perfect for a Christmas activity.
We have tried this version of play dough a few times and loved it every time. It is not your average play dough recipe. It is still moldable and pliable like typical play dough but it is also stretchy like slime. It is fabulous! This time we decided to make peppermint scented and candy cane colored. And it’s edible! It’s PERFECT for winter!
How to make stretchy playdough
All you need are a few simple ingredients to whip up your own candy cane themed, stretchy playdough recipe!
- ¼ Cup of Instant Jello Mix, we used white chocolate
- 1 Cup of Corn Starch
- ¼ Cup + More Water
- Red Food Coloring
- Peppermint Extract
Stretchy playdough recipe
Making this play doh recipe couldn’t be easier, let me show you how to make playdough stretchy. Mix the instant jello mix and corn starch together. Begin adding water. I started by mixing ¼ of cup of water into the dry mixture. Before mixing I added a few drops of peppermint essential oil. Mix well. When all ingredients are mixed together, you can mix with hands.
We separated the dough ball into two pieces. On the second piece I created a well in the dough ball. I dropped two drops of red gel food coloring into the well. If you don’t have gel food coloring, regular is fine- just use a few more drops.
Mix this with your hands, kneading it within it self.
Mix this with your hands, kneading it within it self.
(I didn’t mix it completely in because eventually it will mix in while it’s being played with).
The peppermint extract will not only smell amazing, but is safe for tasting too!
HINT: If dough is too dry, add more water. Mix until stretchy and solid. If dough is too sticky, add more cornstarch. Mix until stretchy and solid.
We didn’t ‘mix’ the red ball and the white ball together but sort of stretched it together so it mimicked a candy cane. How fun!?! All that is left to do is play. This is such a fantastic sensory experience. The colors, the texture and the wonderful scent. It is fabulous!
As we were making the peppermint scented play dough I was thinking how awesome it would be for winter party treat bags. Whether this is a winter birthday party or even a classroom party. This would also be perfect to combine with winter themed play dough mats.
- Free Christmas Tracing Sheets, Elf on the Shelf free printables pdf (printable ideas for every day of the month!)
- FUN How to grow a Candy Cane Activity for December, Printable Christmas Games for kids, Fun & Free Christmas Maze Printable, 12 Days of Christmas Coloring Pages or Free Christmas Coloring Pages or December Holiday Coloring Pages, Beautiful Melted Crayon Ornaments, How to Make Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments
- Snowman Baubles printable paper ornaments, Beautiful, O Little Christmas Star Ornament Craft
- Precious Snowman Handprint Ornament, Cute Winter Card Ideas for kids, FREE Christmas Hat Template
- Cute Reindeer Feet Craft, This Puffy Gingerbread Puffy Paint smells AMAZING! Outrageously Cool Glue Snowman Craft, Make Christmas Slime – Gingerbread Slime, Mr. Grinch Slime, Christmas Fluffy Slime, Edible, Stretchy Peppermint Playdough, Glittery Green slime recipe with contact solution, or Melting Snowman Slime
- Snow Clay to make beautiful Christmas Ornaments, Melting Christmas Tree – a simple Christmas Science Experiments
- Fizzy Ornaments Baking Soda Christmas Ornaments Experiment, Easy, Epic Spinning Christmas Tree Experiment or this Ornaments-Go-Round Christmas STEM Activities with batteries, Rudolph Race Game Combines fun and physics for kids! Festive Christmas Magic Milk Science Experiment, Dissolving peeps Christmas Science Experiment
- Super cool Christmas Lime Battery, Epic Snow Volcano Science Experiment, Melting Snowman Winter Science Experiment
- FREE Christmas Around the World Worksheets, Lesson, Crafts, and more!
- NO-prep Christmas Scavenger Hunt printable pdf
- Christmas Worksheets pdf – over 60 pages of free pages to practice math, literacy, and more in December, Christmas Vowel Teams Game or eigh phonics game
- Variety of Free Polar Express Worksheets for preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd graders too
- FREE Elf on the Shelf Printables to make elf antics silly and no-prep
- Christmas Cut and Paste Shape Worksheets
- Over 100 Free Christmas Activity Sheets
- Christmas Maze printable pack for elementary age kids
- Cute Christmas Tracing Sheets for toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergartners
- Free Printable Christmas Stationary
- Gingerbread Man Sequencing Activity with free printables
- Letter Find Christmas Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Nativity Activity Sheets – huge set of printable pages to review letters, counting, adding, literacy, and more holiday fun
- Practice writing ABCs with free printable Traceable Christmas Ornaments
- Christmas Color by Sight Word Worksheets for Kindergartners
- Super cute, free Christmas Worksheets for Preschool
- Free Christmas Hat Template for kids
- Playdough Christmas Light Patterns Christmas math activities for preschoolers
- Stocking match-up activity – Christmas alphabet letters printable free
- Christmas Sight Words Games for Pre-k
- Favorite Playdough Recipes including: edible pumpkin playdough, easy marshmallow playdough, 2-ingredient easy playdough recipe, scented apple pie playdough, easy peanut butter playdough, jello strawberry playdough, fun watermelon playdough, quick conditioner playdough, amazing ice cream play doh, epic color changing playdough, quick peeps playdough, hot chocolate playdough recipe, kool aid playdough, playful funfetti playdough, peppermint stretchy playdough, fall candy corn playdough recipe, lemonade playdough, sceted apple pie playdough, cool glow in the dark playdough
- TONS of free printable playdough mat to print and play (plus more free printable playdough mats on our sister site
- Subtraction Smash: fun math activity with playdough, ice cream math addition playdough activity, telling the times games free
- Gumball Number Mats to play and learn with playdoh, FREE Number Playodugh Mats 1-10, counting construction playdough mats, or versatile free printable numbers 1-10 for preschoolers, ice cream pattern printable with playdough, watermelon seed counting activity,
- Parts of a Book for Kids Playdough Activity with free printable
- Hands-on, Playful Alphabet Playdough Mats – make the capital letter and complete the picture or these upper and lowercase alphabet playdough mats with tracing practice, and these simple alphabet playdough mats
- Human Body Playdough Mats for learning about bones, circulation, organs, and systems
- Themed Cards: Transportation playdough mats, pet animal playdough mats, jungle animal playdough mats, tools playdough pattern mats, emotions playdough mats, one fish two fish printables, birthday cake activity for preschool, instrument activity for preschoolers, color matching pencils free printable playdough mats
- Cute Monster shapes, shape flower playdough mats,
- Seasonal Fall Playdough Mats or these fall playdough mats, apple playdough mats, thanksgiving playdough mats, cute Christmas Playdough Mats, winter playdough mats, spring playdough mats, summer playdough mats, playdoh corn counting activity
- See all our free printable playdough mats preschool playdough mats, kindergarten playdough mats