Identifying beginning sounds in words takes a lot of practice for preschoolers and kindergarteners. Our free printable initial sound letter matching Christmas Phonics Puzzles are the perfect addition to learning centers or homeschool table work during December!
Christmas Learning Activities
- Fun Christmas Tree Math: Roll & Cover‘
- Initial Sounds Alphabet Game
- Cute Christmas Tree Phonics Puzzles
- Free Christmas Tree Counting Cards
- Gingerbread 10 Frames
- Printable Christmas Solve & Stamp Math Worksheets (math; K-3rd)
- Hands on Christmas Greater Than Less Than (math; K-3rd)
- Love these Christmas Color by Number (Preschool / K)
- Polar Express Coloring Pages (toddler / preschool)
- 12 Days of Christmas Coloring Pages (toddler / preschool)
- Gingerbread Coloring Pages (toddler / preschool)
- Memorizing Luke 2 for Families (Bible)
- Craft & Pray Around the Word (Bible & Geography)
- Christmas Writing Prompts (language arts K-6th)
- Christmas Elf Writing Prompts (language arts K-6th)
- Gingerbread Pirate Worksheets (Preschool-2nd Grade)
- Polar Express Worksheets (Preschool-2nd Grade)
Christmas Phonics Puzzles
This printable set of initial sound letter matching Christmas puzzles includes 26 puzzles. Each puzzle includes 3 pieces. One part has Santa’s sled and an uppercase and lowercase letter on it. The other 2 parts have Christmas presents with images on each present that begin with the same letter.
Print the puzzles and cut them apart on the black borders. Each puzzle is a square shape. Cut the wavy lines across the middle of the puzzle and then down the straight line in between the present pieces.
The object of this initial sound puzzles is to put all 3 pieces of the puzzles back together matching the letter with the correct presents.
Other Ways to Play
To introduce the puzzles to my preschoolers who are practicing letter sounds, I only cut one of the presents off from the puzzle. So each puzzle had the purple and yellow present still attached. The blue, green, and red presents were cut from the puzzle. This way, my preschoolers could use this printable activity as independently as possible. This helps set up the group for success, and allows me to pull another group to work on focused skills. If there was confusion, saying the attached initial sound picture would give a clue as to what the initial sound was. It would make it easier to find just one match instead of 2.
Playing with just a few puzzles at the beginning will make the game fun, and less overwhelming. Start with very familiar letters and sounds. Another idea is to just start with the letters in the child’s name.
In my preschool classroom, I will tape the top part of the puzzle pieces being used to the table. This way, the initial sound letter matching Christmas puzzles are not getting mixed up. This allows a small group to work together without the puzzles going everywhere.
No matter how the puzzles are played, lots of learning skills are being focused on and practiced!
Grab your set of free printable initial sound letter matching Christmas puzzles HERE.
Don’t miss all our free printable worksheets for kindergarten and kindergarten activites with 300,000+ different ideas to make learning FUN! Or sneak in some seasonal kids activities to make the most of these precious early years!
Have other children you are homeschooling? You will want to check out our pre k worksheets, first grade worksheets, and free alphabet printables. Plus find our history for kids and easy science experiments for kids or all our free printable worksheets for kids.
Download Christmas Phonics Puzzles
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.