Identifying beginning sounds in words takes a lot of practice for preschoolers and kindergarteners. Our free printable initial sound letter matching Christmas Phonics Puzzles are the perfect addition to learning centers or homeschool table work during December!
This printable set of initial sound letter matching Christmas puzzles includes 26 puzzles. Each puzzle includes 3 pieces. One part has Santa’s sled and an uppercase and lowercase letter on it. The other 2 parts have Christmas presents with images on each present that begin with the same letter.
Print the puzzles and cut them apart on the black borders. Each puzzle is a square shape. Cut the wavy lines across the middle of the puzzle and then down the straight line in between the present pieces.
The object of this initial sound puzzles is to put all 3 pieces of the puzzles back together matching the letter with the correct presents.
Other Ways to Play
To introduce the puzzles to my preschoolers who are practicing letter sounds, I only cut one of the presents off from the puzzle. So each puzzle had the purple and yellow present still attached. The blue, green, and red presents were cut from the puzzle. This way, my preschoolers could use this printable activity as independently as possible. This helps set up the group for success, and allows me to pull another group to work on focused skills. If there was confusion, saying the attached initial sound picture would give a clue as to what the initial sound was. It would make it easier to find just one match instead of 2.
Playing with just a few puzzles at the beginning will make the game fun, and less overwhelming. Start with very familiar letters and sounds. Another idea is to just start with the letters in the child’s name.
In my preschool classroom, I will tape the top part of the puzzle pieces being used to the table. This way, the initial sound letter matching Christmas puzzles are not getting mixed up. This allows a small group to work together without the puzzles going everywhere.
No matter how the puzzles are played, lots of learning skills are being focused on and practiced!
Grab your set of free printable initial sound letter matching Christmas puzzles HERE.
Looking for ideas to help kids practice letter recognition, matching upper and lower case letters, and learning the sounds letters make? You will love these fun christmas printable pages to work on phonics skills and tracing letters!
- Cut & Paste Christmas Alphabet Worksheets
- Find the Letter Free Christmas Worksheets
- Christmas Letter Tracing Strips
- Grinch Alphabet Phonics Puzzles
- Holiday Phonics Puzzles
- Kindergarten Christmas Alphabet Ornaments to trace and erase
- Christmas ABC Order Trace and Erase
- Christmas Initial Sounds Activity
- Polar Express Alphabet Worksheets for tracing alphabet letters
Christmas Language Arts
Practice identifying word families, sight words, cvc words, spelling words, and so much more with these Christmas literacy activities for elementary age students.
- Christmas Present CVC Word Mat
- CVC Word Clip Cards for December
- Gingerbread Christmas Coloring Pages
- Printable Christmas Sight Words Match (editable!)
- Kindergarten Christmas tree word family sorting
- Cute Christmas Sight Word Worksheets
- Roll & Cover Christmas Rhyming Worksheets
- Create-a-Word Christmas Spelling Activity
- Clever, Hands-on Christmas Spelling Activities
- Christmas Printables Making CVC words for Santa’s Sleigh
Christmas Play Recipes
- Gingerbread Slime Recipe
- Mr. Grinch Slime Recipe
- Christmas Fluffy Slime Recipe
- Edible Peppermint Stretchy Playdough
- Glittery Contact Solution Slime
- Melting Snowman Slime
Christmas Science Experiments for Kids
Looking for more fun Christmas science ideas? Check these out!
- Melting Christmas Tree – a simple Christmas Science Experiment
- Fizzy Ornaments Christmas Science Experiments
- Magic Melting Peppermint Candy Christmas Science Experiment
- Fizzy Gingerbread Man Christmas Science Experiment
- Lots of Christmas Science Experiments Kids will love!
- Rudolph Christmas Science Experiments
- Christmas Magic Milk Experiment
- Gumdrops Ornaments Made with Christmas Science Experiment
- Easy Candy Cane Science Experiment
- Christmas Tree Science – grow Christmas tree crystals
- Simple Oil and Water Christmas Science Experiment
- Lighted Stable Christmas STEM Project
- 20 Amazing Christmas STEM Projects
- Christmas STEM Tree building challenge
Download Christmas Phonics Puzzles
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.