Hot chocolate is not just for drinking. We made a fun sensory activity by using a hot chocolate mix to make a deliciously smelling hot chocolate playdough. This fun hot chocolate playdough recipe is super easy to make and has a fun texture. Plus this is the perfect way to celebrate National Chocolate Day on October 28th, as a winter playdough recipe, or as a fun valentines day activity for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergartner, first grade, and 2nd grade students.
Hot chocolate playdough
One of my daughter’s favorite drinks is hot chocolate. It can be pushing 90 degrees out with 100% humidity and she will still ask for hot chocolate. We have made cookies, cakes, pudding, and so many more edible treats with hot chocolate mix but I wanted to try something totally new. We like making our own play dough and slime. So when the idea came to me to substitute some of the flour in our favorite play dough mix with hot chocolate mix – my daughter and I were almost giddy at the thought. THis hot chocolate playdough is super easy to make and lots of fun to play with too! All you need are a few simple ingredients you probably already have on hand to make a batch of this Hot chocolate playdough recipe. This play doh recipe is perfect for celebration National Chocolate Day on October 28th, as a fun winter activity for kids, or to make into little chocolates for a Valentines Day activity.
Either way, this play dough recipes is fun for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students!
Hot chocolate playdough recipe
1 Cup of Hot Chocolate Mix
2 Cups Of Flour
3/4 Cup Of Salt
1 Cup Baking Soda
1/2 Cup + 3 TBS Water
1/4 Cup Of Oil
We mixed all of the dry ingredients together with a fork in one bowl. Next we added the oil and stirred. It looked like brownie mix. I highly doubt with all the salt and baking soda that it tasted like brownie mix, but it sure looked like it!
Next we slowly added the water and mixed at the same time. Stir until ball starts to form. Take the ‘ball’ out and drop on floured surface.
Hot cocoa playdough
Roll around, kneed, mix, squish, poke, pound.. whatever you need to do to get it all mixed up. This is the fun part, right? When all of the white powder look is gone, the play dough is ready to play with. If you haven’t been playing already.
Winter Playdough REcipe
We first played with coffee cups. We filled and ‘poured’ and my daughter pretended to work at a coffee shop, serving me my favorite drink.
We played with chocolate chips, mixing in pretending to make chocolate chip cookies. We also added some marshmallows.
Winter Activity for Kids
I loved this because it wasn’t anymore expensive than regular play dough and it has a double sensory aspect. Not only is playing with play dough a sensory activity on its own, but the scent that comes from this recipe is phenomenal.
Whether you are making this for a classroom or for home, whether it’s close to Christmas, National Chocolate Day (on October 28), Hot Chocolate Day (on January 31), or a random Wednesday in February – this is a MUST make!
Best Playdough Recipe
- Kids will go crazy over this amazing, Edible Ice Cream Playdough that scoops like ice cream and is taste safe!
- Color Changing Playdough – is not only fun to play with, but helps teach kids some science too!
- Easy 2 ingredient Playdough Recipe that is super soft!
- Edible Peppermint Stretch Playdough
- Hot Chocolate Playdough smells so delicious!
- Candy Corn Edible PlayDough
- Simple-to-Make Peeps Playdough
- Amazing Kool Aid Playdough Recipe
Hot Chocolate Printables
Looking for more hot cocoa themed printable activities to make learning fun? Try these free resources:
- Hot Chocolate Playdough Recipe
- Free Hot Chocolate Worksheet to practice addition and subtraction
- Chocolate Activities and Crafts for National Chocolate Day on November 11th or World Chocolate Day July 7th
- Hot Cocoa and Marshmallow Winter Rhyming Puzzles
- Wow! Homemade Hot Chocolate GOOP
- Hot Chocolate Winter Multiplication Worksheets
- Cute Hot Cocoa Craft for Kids
- How to Make Hot Chocolate Sequencing Pictures Activity
- Winter Hot Cocoa Beginning Sounds Game
Snowman Activities for Kids
- S is for Snowman Theme
- Easy Circle Sticker Snowman Craft
- Plastic Cup Snowman Craft
- EASY Glue Snowman Crafts for Preschoolers
- YUM! How to Make Snow Ice Cream with just 2 ingredients!
- 100 Winter Crafts and Activities for Kids
- Making historic SNOW CANDY!
- Squirt Gun Snow Painting
- Snow Dough for Kids
- Amazingly EASY Puffy Snow Paint Recipe
- LOTS of Snowflake Crafts A to Z
- Super Cool Snow Volcano Science Experiment
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Cute Snow globe Craft for Kids
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Snowman Counting Cards
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Winter Counting Worksheets
- Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Printables Winter letter Find
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Snowman Printables Counting Book
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Telling Time Worksheets
- Snowflake Dab the Letter
- Snowman Activities for Preschool – Count to 10
- Cute Snowman Shape Puzzles
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
We love celebrating fun holidays and fun days throughout the year! We have lots more special days throughout the year with activities to inspire you to create memories with your kids:
- Did you know there is a national Dice Day on December 4th? Try these dice games for kids
- Try these candy cane activities for National Candy Cane Day on December 26th
- After Christmas comes Three Kings Day for Kids on January 6th
- Celebrate Penguin Day on January 20th with these penguin crafts and activities
- Fun crafts and activities to celebrate Chinese New Year for Kids
- Carnival Crafts and Activities for National Carnival Day February 26
- These moon activities for kids will take you out of this world for National Moon Day on July 20th
- National Honey Bee Day is August 17th, celebrate with these bee activities for kids
- Learn about author Roald Dahl on September 13th with these roald dahl craft ideas
- Enjoy National Chocolate Day in Octoboer with these chocolate activities
- Become a super hero on Batman Day this September 15th with batman crafts and activities
- August 3rd is Watermelon Day, celebrate with these watermelon activities
- Sweeten your next July 15th with these gummy worm games for Gummy Worm Day
- Happy Birthday Donald Duck! Join in on the celebration this June 9th with these Donald Duck Day activities
- Head down to Seasame Street for these sesame street crafts for Sesame Street Day on November 10th
- Eat up on October 4th and celebrate Taco Day with these taco crafts
- Kids will love celebrating the largest living land mammal with these elephant activities to celebrate World Elephant Day on August 12th
- Mark your calendar for one of two donut days on June 7th and try these fun donut activities
- Celebrate Eric Carle’s birthday March 2nd with these hungry caterpillar crafts
- We celebrate Dr. Seuss day on his birthday on March 2nd with these fun dr seuss activities
- The 2nd week of mark is Bubble week! Join in on the fun with these bubble activities
- Let’s hear it for National Popcorn Day on January 19th with these poporn crafts
- Stay in your pjs for the Festival of Sleep Day on January 3rd and try one of these pajama day activities
- Grab some candy and try one of these activities for National Candy Day on November 4th.
- Make one of these mad hatter hat ideas to celebrate Mad Hatter Day on Octoboer 6th
- Show your patriotism by celebrating Flag Day on June 14th with one of these flag day activities
- Kids will go nuts over these jelly bean crafts for National Jelly Bean Day on April 22nd.
- Teach kids about our amazing planet on Earth Day this April 22nd with these Earth Day crafts
- Learn about frogs on Save the Frogs Day this April 30th with these frog activities
- May the 4th be with you on Star Wars Day! Try one of these star wars crafts today
- Celebrate Dental Health Month in February with these clever dental crafts