Practice reading ed words endings with that make the d sound with these ed endings worksheets. This ed activity is a fun, no prep, phonics activities for first grade students. Simply print the ed worksheets and have fun practice ed endings with your grade 1 students.
My little girl is taking a break from vowel teams, and we are on our second week of learning about words that end with “ed”. In the first week, we focused on “ed’ words that make the “t” sound. For the most part, we just practiced reading lots of words that made the “t” sound. The rule is a tough one for our little ones, but if you feel the need, it can be taught. The easiest way is to have your little one put your hand on their throat and say the root word. If they do not feel a vibration when they reach the last consonant sound, then the “ed” will make the “t” sound. The consonants that are unvoiced, or do not make a vibration, are K, S, Ch, Sh, F, P, and Th.
If the root word ends with the “t” or “d” sound, the “ed” will make the “d” sound. And the rest of the words, for the most part, make a voiced sound….you should feel a vibration. When you feel that vibration the “ed” will make the “d” sound. And today we are focusing on those words with a fun “ed” word search.
FREE Printable Phonics Games
This sheet requires no prep.
- First, print off the pages
- Next, gather up a pencil or colored pencils.
And you are ready to go.
Reading Words Ending with “ed” that make the “d” sound
This worksheet is just a fun way of getting our little ones to practice reading words ending with “ed” that make the “d” sound. Before they start looking for words, have them read the five words on the page. Remind them that these “ed” words will all make the “d” sound.
Then have them begin looking for the words in the word search. When they find one have them color in each letter while sounding out the word. Once again, when they get to the “ed” remind them that these words all make the “d” sound.
As an extra challenge, you could have them color in the consonants one color, the vowels or vowels team another, and the “ed” a third color. This might help them as they sound out the words.
For example, with sailed, you will color the s blue, the ai (a vowel team that says the long a sound) red, the l blue, and finally the “ed” yellow.
It is just one more way to help our little ones read these fun words and recognize the vowel teams or short vowel sounds they have already learned.
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Long ee Words BINGO – Vowel Teams Game
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- Irregular Vowels Activity with Verb Sliders
- See all our Vowels activities here
Looking for more blends activities for young learners? You will love these resources:
- Final Consonant Ending Blends Games
- Ending s Blends worksheets with do a dot markers
- Practice Consonant Blends with cute printable puzzles
- Slide and Read Blends Activity
- Beginning Blends Fall Activities for 1st Grade
- Blue Bird Sorting Blends Activity
- Read and Color Ending Blends Worksheets
- Mitten Initial Blends Winter Activities for 1st Grade
- Initial Blends Matching Game for kids
- Do a Dot Ending Blends Worksheet
- Ending Blends Bingo Dauber Worksheets
- Ch, Sh, Th Digraph Game
- Read and Clip Consonant Blends Activities
- Handy L Blends Worksheets with magenetic letters
- Graph a Blends Activities for 2nd graders
- Floss Rule Worksheets
- Free Printable Color by Blend Worksheet
- Ending S Blends Clip Cards
- Printable nk Ending Blends Clip Cards
- NG Words for Kids Game
- BIngo Dabber ng and nk worksheets
- Th Worksheets – Read th blends in sentences
- R Controlled Vowel Worksheets
- Free printable Blends Worksheets with dot markers
- Practice ed Endings with Free Printable BINGO Game
- FREE Printable ed Endings Worksheets
- Learn about the Three Sounds of Ed with these handy free phonics worksheets
Language Arts Activities for Kids
- Cars Punctuation Games
- Cut and Paste Sentences Worksheets
- Connect 4 Spelling Practice Worksheets – work with any list!
- Free Writing Prompts – LOTS for elementary age students with rules lines, creative prompt calendars, and more!
- Detective Themed Dictionary Skills Worksheets
- Band Aid Contraction Game
- Minion Contraction Games
- Contraction Bingo Game
- Doctor Contraction Words Game
- Synonym Puzzles for Kids
- Printable Homograph Games
- FREE Animal Antonyms Puzzles
- Contraction Dominoes
- Dinosaur Bones Punctuation Game
- Hershey Kiss Word Family Activities
- Ice Cream Word Endings Game
- Marshmallow Incident’s Noun and Verb Games Printable
- Free Spelling Dictionary
- Or learn about parts of speech with Taboo Grammar Game
- Practice Building Sentences with this Pizza Parlor Activity
- Parts of Speech BINGO – practice with noun, verb, adverb, adjectives, and more!
- Free Reading Log Printables – including Cars, Frozen, summer, and so many more!
- S’more Complete Sentences Game
- Solve it! Parts of Speech Games Printable
- Pizza Parlor Sentence Building Games
- Free Book Report Template
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.