Work on ed endings with letters that make the “t” sound with this fun, free printable phonics game. This ed activity uses a free printable BINGO game to help kids practice making the t sound with ed. Use this ed words with kindergarten and first grade students.
Every day we add “ed” to action words to make them past tense. And everyday we make three different sounds when adding that “ed”. While we do it naturally, our poor little stuggling readers may have difficutly figuring what sound to use when reading “ed” words. And today, we are going to work on the “t” sound made by the letters “ed”.
FREE Printable Phonics Games
Making the “T” sound with “ed”
After our little ones learn all the different sounds of “ed”, it is pretty much trial and error while reading. If they aren’t sure which one to use, we want to encourage them to try the different sounds until they hear one that sounds right. For them to get there, it is great to practice each sound indivdually. And that is whay this game is all about. But for some parent tips, did you know that we use the “t” sound when the word before ends with an unvoiced sound. That means when you place your hand on your throat, it will not vibrate. Some unvoiced consonants sounds are /k/, /s/, /p/, /t/, and /h/. Think about the word miss. When you add the ‘ed’ to that, you use the “t” sound. And that is because the s is unvoiced. That might be over our little ones head, so I would just work on all the “t” sound words and give them practice reading, saying, and hearing them correctly.
With just a few easy steps, this game will be up and running, and ready to play numerous times.
- First, print off the game board.
- Next, print off the Bingo cards and laminate them or place them in sheet protectors.
- Finally, gather up a die, game marker, and dry erase marker.
Now it is time to play.
- To begin, both players place thier game pieces in the middle of the game board.
- Player one rolls the die, and then moves that many spaces in whaterver direction they choose.
- Next, they read the word that they landed on. Then they find that word on their Bingo sheet and cross it off.
- Now it is player two’s turn. They follow the exact same steps. Roll, move, read, and they cross off.
If for some chance they land on a space that does not have a word, they lose their turn. Whenever they get to a yellow circle they can choose whichever way they want to go.
The first person to get four in a row or cross off every word on the sheet wins the game.
And after numerous times playing these games, our little ones will have plenty of practice reading ‘ed’ words that make the ‘t’ sound.
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Long ee Words BINGO – Vowel Teams Game
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- Irregular Vowels Activity with Verb Sliders
- See all our Vowels activities here
Looking for more blends activities for young learners? You will love these resources:
- Final Consonant Ending Blends Games
- Ending s Blends worksheets with do a dot markers
- Practice Consonant Blends with cute printable puzzles
- Slide and Read Blends Activity
- Beginning Blends Fall Activities for 1st Grade
- Blue Bird Sorting Blends Activity
- Read and Color Ending Blends Worksheets
- Mitten Initial Blends Winter Activities for 1st Grade
- Initial Blends Matching Game for kids
- Do a Dot Ending Blends Worksheet
- Ending Blends Bingo Dauber Worksheets
- Ch, Sh, Th Digraph Game
- Read and Clip Consonant Blends Activities
- Handy L Blends Worksheets with magenetic letters
- Graph a Blends Activities for 2nd graders
- Floss Rule Worksheets
- Free Printable Color by Blend Worksheet
- Ending S Blends Clip Cards
- Printable nk Ending Blends Clip Cards
- NG Words for Kids Game
- BIngo Dabber ng and nk worksheets
- Th Worksheets – Read th blends in sentences
- R Controlled Vowel Worksheets
- Free printable Blends Worksheets with dot markers
- Practice ed Endings with Free Printable BINGO Game
- FREE Printable ed Endings Worksheets
- Learn about the Three Sounds of Ed with these handy free phonics worksheets
Language Arts Activities for Kids
- Cars Punctuation Games
- Cut and Paste Sentences Worksheets
- Connect 4 Spelling Practice Worksheets – work with any list!
- Free Writing Prompts – LOTS for elementary age students with rules lines, creative prompt calendars, and more!
- Detective Themed Dictionary Skills Worksheets
- Band Aid Contraction Game
- Minion Contraction Games
- Contraction Bingo Game
- Doctor Contraction Words Game
- Synonym Puzzles for Kids
- Printable Homograph Games
- FREE Animal Antonyms Puzzles
- Contraction Dominoes
- Dinosaur Bones Punctuation Game
- Hershey Kiss Word Family Activities
- Ice Cream Word Endings Game
- Marshmallow Incident’s Noun and Verb Games Printable
- Free Spelling Dictionary
- Or learn about parts of speech with Taboo Grammar Game
- Practice Building Sentences with this Pizza Parlor Activity
- Parts of Speech BINGO – practice with noun, verb, adverb, adjectives, and more!
- Free Reading Log Printables – including Cars, Frozen, summer, and so many more!
- S’more Complete Sentences Game
- Solve it! Parts of Speech Games Printable
- Pizza Parlor Sentence Building Games
- Free Book Report Template
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.