tion Words PhonicsAs our reading journey continues with my little girl, we have jumped into a new and quite difficult sound. This week, we began working on “tion”. It is quite a fun one. Not only is it hard to say, especially if your young reader struggles to make certain sounds, but they also can’t sound it out. This tion words phonics game is a great way to practice spelling words that end in tion while having fun continuing to work on phonics skills to improve reading and spelling! Knowing that grade 1 and grade 2 students need some extra work with this fun sound, I created an activity that would get her spelling and reading “tion” words.
tion Phonics WordsThere are actually three ways to spell the /shun/ sound. There is “cian” which is used in words like musician. You can also find the sound in “sion” as in mission. But today we are going to focus on the “tion” found in words like nation, election and fraction. The rule for using this ending is very simple. We use “tion” when the root word ends in t or te or ct.
- Invent – invention
- Correction – correction
- abduct – abduction
- product – production
tion phonicsIn just a few minutes, you will be ready for this activity.
- First, print off a page with the spinner and the bubble page that matches the spinner.
- Then, Place the spinner page in a page protector.
- Finally, gather up a dry erase marker, pencil and paper clip for the spinner, and Do-A Dot markers.
Words that end in tionNow it is time for some spelling and reading of “tion” words. First, have your little one use the paper clip and pencil to create a spinner. Flick the paper clip and then have your child read the syllable or syllables they landed on. (It may help to review open and closed door syllables. If the syllable ends in a vowel, the vowel will make a long sound. If the vowel is closed in, then it will make a short sound. For example, O/va/tion has two long vowels, while frac/tion is a short vowel.)
tion sound phonicsOnce they read the syllables, they then get to write those letters in the boxes above the spinner. Next, have them read the syllables with the “tion”. Finally, have your little one find that word on the bubble sheet and dot it with a D0-A-Dot marker. Have them read the word one more time. That is it. This activity is just a simple but fun way to practice spelling and reading “tion” words.
Long o Vowel Teams
- Free printable ow sound sliders
- Race to the top ou sound words game
- Cut and paste oa and oe worksheets
- Color by phonics sound oo words for kids
- Phonics puzzles with vowel team oa
- Snowman Phonics Activity Reading oi sound Words
Vowels Printableslooking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Long ee Words BINGO – Vowel Teams Game
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- Irregular Vowels Activity with Verb Sliders
- See all our Vowels activities here
Blends ActivitiesLooking for more blends activities for young learners? You will love these resources:
- Final Consonant Ending Blends Games
- Ending s Blends worksheets with do a dot markers
- Practice Consonant Blends with cute printable puzzles
- Slide and Read Blends Activity
- Beginning Blends Fall Activities for 1st Grade
- Blue Bird Sorting Blends Activity
- Read and Color Ending Blends Worksheets
- Mitten Initial Blends Winter Activities for 1st Grade
- Initial Blends Matching Game for kids
- Do a Dot Ending Blends Worksheet
- Ending Blends Bingo Dauber Worksheets
- Ch, Sh, Th Digraph Game
- Read and Clip Consonant Blends Activities
- Handy L Blends Worksheets with magenetic letters
- Graph a Blends Activities for 2nd graders
- Floss Rule Worksheets
- Free Printable Color by Blend Worksheet
- Ending S Blends Clip Cards
- Printable nk Ending Blends Clip Cards
- NG Words for Kids Game
- BIngo Dabber ng and nk worksheets
- Th Worksheets – Read th blends in sentences
- R Controlled Vowel Worksheets
- Free printable Blends Worksheets with dot markers
- Practice ed Endings with Free Printable BINGO Game
- FREE Printable ed Endings Worksheets
- Learn about the Three Sounds of Ed with these handy free phonics worksheets
Phonics ActivityBefore you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
>> tion Phonics Sound Game <<
a great interactive website Rachel. Thankyou