oa Phonic SoundAs I’m helping to teach my little girl to read, I discovered a new concept. I honestly wished I had known about it before, as even my other kiddos that don’t struggle to read, would have still benefited from this type of instruction. The tutor that works with my daughter has been teaching both of us the importance of learning syllable types. So far we have learned about open and closed-door syllables, magic e syllables, bossy r syllables, and now we are heading into the vowel team syllables. A vowel team is when you have two vowels together that make one sound. Sometimes they make the long vowel sound (like in play, rain, see, etc), and other times they make a totally different sound (like the au in au/to). Well, this week we are working on the vowel teams, oa, and I decided to create some puzzles so she could practice spelling oa words. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler you will love this pa phonic sound printable puzzles to help kindergartners and grade 1 students.
oa phonics games
- First, print off the puzzles on card stock paper.
- Next, cut out the puzzles.
- Finally, I paperclipped four puzzles together so it wouldn’t be quite so overwhelming when we started.
oa Sound GamesNow it is time to teach the oa sound. Before you begin, you will definitely want to explain that when the “o” and the “a” are together, they make the long o sound. You may also want to write out a few words that have “oal” and “oar” in them. The “oa” in those words don’t quite make the long o sound and were tricky for my little girl. The way we pronounce roar with our southern accent sound more like “r/or”
- oar words – oar, roar, board,
- oal words – coal, goal, foal
Phonic sound oaNow it is time to put those puzzles together. 1, First, set out four pictures and the letters that go with them. 2. Then point to a picture and say the word. Then say the word again, but this time say each sound clearly. 3. Now, let your little one choose the letters that make up that word. If they are struggling, you can repeat each sound, have them repeat after you, and look for the letter as they make that sound. 4. Once the word is spelled, have those sweet kiddos touch each puzzle piece and make the sound, and then combine the sound to make the word.
Vowel Team GamesAnd that’s it for working on spelling oa words. It is just a simple way to get children spelling oa words and reading them.
Vowels Printableslooking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Long ee Words BINGO – Vowel Teams Game
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- Irregular Vowels Activity with Verb Sliders
- See all our Vowels activities here
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Lots of fun Chapter Books for 1st Graders wth free printable list
- Free Book Report Template to print and use with any book
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets make learning FUN!
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Free Sight Words Printable List
- 1st Grade Word Search Printable
- Free Printable 1st grade math worksheets to print and practice
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of FREE Kindergarten Writing Prompts
- Cut and Paste Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Telling Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE 250+ page Unit with activities, experiments, information, and Ocean Animal Worksheets
- Discover 16 amazing places around the world with these Country worksheets Study
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal printables with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Phonic sound oa wordsBefore you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.