This fun spelling long o activity is a great way to help first graders improve their phonics skills to improve reading and speling. This activity focuses on long o words with oe and oa spelling of the long o sound. Simply print the fun long vowel activity that focuses on oe words phonics and oa words phonics.
Long o words
Practice spelling long o words using /oe/ and /oa/ with this fun, cut and paste activity. I love how there are a ton of different ways to spell a sound.Let’s take the long o sound. Though there are other ways to make the long o sound, there are four common ways. That means if you hear the long o sound, you have a lot of choices to choose from when deciding how to spell that word.
You could use the magic e, like in hope or globe. Maybe you make the long o by using an open syllable, like in go or robot. Don’t forget about the vowel teams though. There are two common vowel teams that are viable options. The /oa/ as in soap and the /oe/ as in toe.Our little learners can be overwhelmed by all these choices, and that is why we must provide them with as much guidance as possible. And that is what this worksheet is all about. A fun way to practice spelling long o words using /oa/ and /oe/.
Long o Sound words
oe Words phonics
This worksheet requires very little prep.
- First, print off the page you want your child to work on.
- The print off page 6. This page has the letters for the children to glue into the blanks.
- Finally, gather up glue, scissors, a pencil, and something to color with.
And you are ready to go.
oa Words phonics
Surprisingly, spelling long o words with vowel teams is quite simple.
If the long o comes at the beginning of a word or in the middle of a word or syllable, you use /oa/. You can see this in oats, coats, or coach.
But if the long o comes at the end of a syllable, you use /oe/. You can see it in words like roe, (eggs from a female fish) toe, and hoe. But check out these words.
Joey – Joe is the first syllable and y is the second syllable. Since the /o/ sound is at the end of the first syllable, we use the /oe/.
Toenail – Toe is the first syllable. And once again the long o sound comes at the end of the syllable. Therefore, we use the /oe/.
long vowel o words
Now that the rules are established, not it is time for a little practice.
Our little ones cut out the /oe/ and /oa/ letters. Then they say the picture, decide if they should use the /oa/ or the /oe/, and then glue on the correct letters.
Next, they get to practice writing the word.
And finally, they can color in the picture if they choose.
It is that simple. But a wonderful way to practice spelling long o words and when to use the /oa/ vs the /oe/.
Long o Vowel Teams
- Free printable ow sound sliders
- Race to the top ou sound words game
- Cut and paste oa and oe worksheets
- Color by phonics sound oo words for kids
- Phonics puzzles with vowel team oa
- Snowman Phonics Activity Reading oi sound Words
Long vowel sounds worksheets
Looking for more practice with the long a sound? Check out these free printables:
- Dot Marker Long a sound Worksheets
- PrintableLong Ai Words Game
- Long a Words Clip Cards
- Spelling Long A Sound Words Worksheet
- Identifying long and short vowel sounds worksheets pdf
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- See all our Vowels activities here
Long o Vowel Activity
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.