If your first grader is working on learning ou words, you will love this free printable game working on ou sound words. This printable feautres 2 fun games to play as grade 1 students our working on ou words phonics. Simply print the pages and follow the directiosn below to play and learn words with ou in them.
ou Sound Words
These “ou” cards can be used in many different ways and all of them help your little ones practice reading words with “ou”, like you and group. I think one of the hardest things about vowel teams is that the same two letters can make different sounds. And that is what we are facing today as my little one begins working on the letters “ou”. Now we have already learned a sound associated with these letters. In the not-so-distant past, we had learned that the “ou” makes the “ow” sound like in couch or mouse. But today, we will see that it makes a totally different sound than we can find in words like youth and through. And I definitely wanted to practice this in a fun way.
ou words list
The ou words in this activity include: soup, croup, group, you, youth, wound, toucan, routine, crouton, coupon, cougar, goulash, through, acoustic, caribou, boulevard, barracouta, and courier.
ou words phonics
With just a little prep work, you will have a set of “ou” cards that can be used in numerous ways.
1. First, print off the cards. If you want, you can print a fun colorful back on the cards, by printing on both sides.
2. Next, cut out the cards, and laminate if desired.
3. Now, you are ready to go.
Words with Ou in them
ou Words Memory Game
This is a quick fun game that really gives our little ones a chance to read these “ou” words numerous times and work on their memory skills at the same time.
Simply, place all the cards on the table face down. Then have your students flip the cards over two at a time. They must read both the cards they flipped over. If they match, they get to keep them and flip over two more cards. If they don’t match, they turn them over and it is the next player’s turn. The person with the most cards at the end of the game wins.
ou Sound Words Go Fish Game
In this game, the object is still to make pairs. Pass out four cards to two players, and place the rest face down in between them. If the players have a pair, they may go ahead and place them down on the table, making sure they read the words they are laying down. Then player one will ask player two if they have a certain card.
“Do you have “youth”?”
If player two does, then the player would respond, “Yes, I do.” And will give that card to player one.
If player two does not, then the player would respond, “Go Fish.” Player one will then draw a card from the pile. If player one draws a card that matches another word in their hand, he/she can lay down the cards and read the word aloud. If there are no matches then it is the player’s two turns.
This continues until one player is able to get rid of all the cards in their hand.
I hope these two simple games with the “ou” cards will help your little ones enjoy learning this new vowel team.
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Long ee Words BINGO – Vowel Teams Game
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- Irregular Vowels Activity with Verb Sliders
- See all our Vowels activities here
- TH Worksheets – re-usable activity to help kids work on th sounds
- Mitten Beginning Sounds Matching is a fun Winter Activities for Kindergarten –
- Spring activities Kindergarten for working on consonant blends with digraph blends
- Spelling ch and tch Worksheets for 1st Graders
- Car Bump Phonics ar Words Game – R Controlled
- er Phonics Printable Game
- Bug Coloring by Blends Worksheets
- Ice Cream Themed Digraph kindergarten summer activities – sneak in some summer learning to improve reading skills with these cute, educational puzzles.
- Clip Cards are a fun Consonant blends activities – help kids learn to combine letters to make digraph sounds
- Spring Initial Blends Worksheets – super cute activity for helping kids master blends
- “nk” Ending Consonant Blends Activity with clip cards
- Graph a blends activities for 2nd graders – fun combination of math and language arts
- Color by blend worksheet – this is a fun way for kids to practice learning blends
- Consonant Blend Cluster Spelling Mats – hands on activity learning blends
- Kindergarten Word Families Sliders – help kids practice sounding out blends in words with this fun, transportation themed reading activity for early readers.
- L Blends Clip Cards, S Blends Clip Cards, R Blend Clip Cards
- Reading and Writing qu words Worksheets
- Cut-and-Paste Trigraphs Worksheets
- Color and Read Book with Trigraphs List for practicing trigraphs pr, squ, and str
- Free Readers to Color and Read MORE words from Trigraphs List
- thr words Playdough Mats
- Hot Cocoa Phonics makes fun winter activities for kindergarten
- Phonics Beginning Sounds Worksheets are a NO prep kindergarten worksheets to improve phonics skills.
- Christmas Phonics by making a Christmas trees by putting together words with the same beginning sounds.
See how to teach phonics step by step and take a peak at some helpful resources for helping kids spell and read with fluency!
- Final Stable Syllable Worksheets
- Snowman Schwa Games
- Schwa Worksheets – Spelling Words with Schwa Sound
- Snowman R-controlled Syllable activity
- Turky feather au aw words practice
- Fall ou words for kids phonics activity
- Free Short vowel games printable
- Commonly misspelled words and how to avoid it
- Spelling practice activities for children
- Beginning sound activity with letter stamps
- Phonemic awareness activity using playdough balls
- Fun Reading Games for kids to play and learn!
- Handy, free printable short vowel games
- Sight Words printable list
- ABC book with pictures pdf free download
- Tons of CVC Worksheets and activities for kids
- Hard c and soft c games
- Free printable Contractions Worksheet set
- Ultimage Guide to Teaching Reading to chidlren
- How to write a Bibliography – information based on grade plus free printable template
- Grammar for Kids copywork: noun, verb, and adjective worksheets
- Roll and Covere CVC Words Games
- Superhero verbs activity with free printable
- FREE printable Kindergarten word searches
words that have ou in them
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.