This spelling worksheet for first graders is great practice for when to use tch vs ch. You will love that these ch and tch worksheets are no prep and a great way for improving first grade spelling! Simply print ch tch worksheets pdf file and you are ready to improve phonics skills.
tch words worksheets
Seeing the letter “t” next to a “ch” can cause a little confusion for our young readers. Do I need to make How do t sound and then the ch sound? Do I ignore the “t” and only make the “ch” sound? When do I add the “tch” to a word? These are all great questions, and this “ch” vs “tch” worksheet is designed to help our little ones answer all these questions. This digraph activity can help grade 1 students work on figuring out if they should use ch or tch at the end of words. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschool you will love these free printable ch and tch worksheets to improve spelling.
ch and tch worksheets
ch tch worksheets
So before we jump into the worksheet, let’s talk about the spelling generelaztion for when to use “tch” vs “ch”. And we call it a genereation because there are words that do not follow the rules…..and I’ll tell you about those in a minute.
First off, “tch” and “ch” are pronounced the same in a word. We do not make a the “t” sound plus the “ch” sound when we see a “tch” in a word. Most readers just figure this out on their own. But those readers who have to work really hard a reading, will need to be told this and given opportunities to practice it.
So when do we add the “tch” in a word? If there is a consonant after the vowel we add a c
Check out bench. There is an “n” after the “e”, so all we add is the ch. Same with teach. There are two vowel in teach, so we don’t need to add the “t”. But if there isnt’ two vowels or a consonant after the vowel we add “tch”. To help my little girl, we say, “The vowel needs protecting from the big, bad “ch”, so we add a t.” You can see this in words like hitch or sketch. But of course, we have exceptions. Words like much, such, which, and rich break this rule. So when learning to spell these words, we call them our rule breakers.
tch ending words worksheets
Using the worksheet is simple.
- First, the children sound out the first few letters and then add the “ch” sound when they get to the blank.
- Next they decide if they should use the “ch” or the “tch” to make the “ch” sound.
- Finally, they practice spelling the word.
It is that simple. Not only do you get to read, but you get to practice spelling too.
Digraph and BlendsAs children progress in phonics they work on digraphs and blends. Digraphs are two consonants that make one sound such as /TH/ sys thumb. Consonant blends have two constonants that each still make their own sound such as . If you are looking for more blends for kids games, worksheets, and activities? Check out these resoures or see all our digraph activities or consonant activities.
- Spring Digraph Activity Puzzles
- Printable Digraph Game for working on sh, ch, th words
- Ice Cream Puzzles Digraph Game for summer learning
- Build-a-Digraph Puzzle – Digraph Activity
- Digraph BINGO Game
- Trigraph Printables – color and read trigraphs
- Printable Trigraph Readers – set #2
- Trigraph Workhseets – cut and paste to learn trigraph words
- Bingo Dauber Trigraph Worksheets make learning fun
- THR Word Activity with playdough!
- Trigraph Phonics Blending Games
Consonant blends activitiesOther Literacy Activities you may enjoy:
- Free Ending Blends Worksheets
- Spring Bee Initial Blends Game
- Consonant Blends Games (puzzles in color or black & white)
- Blue Bird Initial Blends Activity
- Read and Color Free Blends Worksheets
- Dab a Blend – Ending Blends Worksheets in First Grade
- Final Blends Game
- Hands-on L Blend Worksheets
- Graph a Blends Activity
- Final Consonant Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Mitten Initial Blend Puzzles – Winter activities for first grade
- Ending S Blends Activity
- L Blends Fun Pack, TH Blends Fun Pack, or R Blends Fun Pack
- Leaf Puzzle Blends – fall activities for first grade
- Th Worksheets – reading the words in sentences
- Color by Blend Worksheet
- Clip Card Consonant Blends Activities
- Find and Dot Ending Blends Activities
- Reading phonics blends
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Lots of fun Chapter Books for 1st Graders wth free printable list
- Free Book Report Template to print and use with any book
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets make learning FUN!
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Free Sight Words Printable List
- 1st Grade Word Search Printable
- Free Printable 1st grade math worksheets to print and practice
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of FREE Kindergarten Writing Prompts
- Cut and Paste Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Telling Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE 250+ page Unit with activities, experiments, information, and Ocean Animal Worksheets
- Discover 16 amazing places around the world with these Country worksheets Study
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal printables with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
ch and tch worksheets pdf
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!