This spelling worksheet for first graders is great practice for when to use tch vs ch. You will love that these ch and tch worksheets are no prep and a great way for improving first grade spelling! Simply print ch tch worksheets pdf file and you are ready to improve phonics skills.
tch words worksheets
Seeing the letter “t” next to a “ch” can cause a little confusion for our young readers. Do I need to make How do t sound and then the ch sound? Do I ignore the “t” and only make the “ch” sound? When do I add the “tch” to a word? These are all great questions, and this “ch” vs “tch” worksheet is designed to help our little ones answer all these questions. This digraph activity can help grade 1 students work on figuring out if they should use ch or tch at the end of words. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschool you will love these free printable ch and tch worksheets to improve spelling.
ch and tch worksheets
ch tch worksheets
So before we jump into the worksheet, let’s talk about the spelling generelaztion for when to use “tch” vs “ch”. And we call it a genereation because there are words that do not follow the rules…..and I’ll tell you about those in a minute.
First off, “tch” and “ch” are pronounced the same in a word. We do not make a the “t” sound plus the “ch” sound when we see a “tch” in a word. Most readers just figure this out on their own. But those readers who have to work really hard a reading, will need to be told this and given opportunities to practice it.
So when do we add the “tch” in a word? If there is a consonant after the vowel we add a c
Check out bench. There is an “n” after the “e”, so all we add is the ch. Same with teach. There are two vowel in teach, so we don’t need to add the “t”. But if there isnt’ two vowels or a consonant after the vowel we add “tch”. To help my little girl, we say, “The vowel needs protecting from the big, bad “ch”, so we add a t.” You can see this in words like hitch or sketch. But of course, we have exceptions. Words like much, such, which, and rich break this rule. So when learning to spell these words, we call them our rule breakers.
tch ending words worksheets
Using the worksheet is simple.
- First, the children sound out the first few letters and then add the “ch” sound when they get to the blank.
- Next they decide if they should use the “ch” or the “tch” to make the “ch” sound.
- Finally, they practice spelling the word.
It is that simple. Not only do you get to read, but you get to practice spelling too.
Digraph and BlendsAs children progress in phonics they work on digraphs and blends. Digraphs are two consonants that make one sound such as /TH/ sys thumb. Consonant blends have two constonants that each still make their own sound such as . If you are looking for more blends for kids games, worksheets, and activities? Check out these resoures or see all our digraph activities or consonant activities.
- Spring Digraph Activity Puzzles
- Printable Digraph Game for working on sh, ch, th words
- Ice Cream Puzzles Digraph Game for summer learning
- Build-a-Digraph Puzzle – Digraph Activity
- Digraph BINGO Game
- Trigraph Printables – color and read trigraphs
- Printable Trigraph Readers – set #2
- Trigraph Workhseets – cut and paste to learn trigraph words
- Bingo Dauber Trigraph Worksheets make learning fun
- THR Word Activity with playdough!
- Trigraph Phonics Blending Games
Consonant blends activitiesOther Literacy Activities you may enjoy:
- Free Ending Blends Worksheets
- Spring Bee Initial Blends Game
- Consonant Blends Games (puzzles in color or black & white)
- Blue Bird Initial Blends Activity
- Read and Color Free Blends Worksheets
- Dab a Blend – Ending Blends Worksheets in First Grade
- Final Blends Game
- Hands-on L Blend Worksheets
- Graph a Blends Activity
- Final Consonant Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Mitten Initial Blend Puzzles – Winter activities for first grade
- Ending S Blends Activity
- L Blends Fun Pack, TH Blends Fun Pack, or R Blends Fun Pack
- Leaf Puzzle Blends – fall activities for first grade
- Th Worksheets – reading the words in sentences
- Color by Blend Worksheet
- Clip Card Consonant Blends Activities
- Find and Dot Ending Blends Activities
- Reading phonics blends
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on 1st grade Worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf free
- Fun-to-Read Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- Free Printable 1st Grade Book Report template
- Kid favorite, FREE Cut and Paste Worksheets for a variety of subjects!
- Sight Words Printable List
- First Grade Word Search
- Phonics Dab the th worksheets
- sh, ch, th word Digraph Games
- Ending Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Cut and Paste L Blends Worksheets
- LOTS more free printable phonics worksheets and games
1st Grade Math
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Printable Number Bond Games
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Bingo Shapes Game
- Color the Coin Money Coloring Pages
- Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery
- Printable Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Game
- Free Hundreds Tens and Ones Worksheets
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
1st Grade Science
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- EASY Lemon Battery Experiment
- 12 Hands-on Battery Experiment Ideas for Kids
- Mind-blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Magnet experiments for Kids
- Balloon Solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities plus other projects
- Phases of the Moon for Kids – worksheets, activities, Oreo moon phases, and more
- Weather Unit with worksheets and hands-on weather activities for kids
- Learn the planet names with this Solar System for Kids Lesson plus tons of other Solar System Project Ideas
Grade 1 Science
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Dive into the amazing world of botany with this plants for kids lessons
- Learn about LOTS of life cycles for kids (panda, spider, watermelon, bee, sunflower, spider, and more!)
- TONS of fun Human Body for Kids activities, expeirments, and free printables too!
- Free Scientific Method Worksheets
United States Lesson for Kids
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables. Plus don’t miss all our fun, free, and immersive history lessons for kids
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Free Printable States and Capitals Matching Game
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty,and more!
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Ready to dive more in depth? Check out Country Study for Kids – look at 16 countries around the world up close
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Research and learn with these free Children around the World Worksheets
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- You can find all our FREE printable country coloring pages covering over 36 different nations – or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, Germany Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
ch and tch worksheets pdf
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
Leave a Reply