Help kids practice spelling oi and oy words with this fun, engaging phonics activity! In this vowel teams activities, children will add the vowels to may oy words and oi phonics words. Simply print the free printable oi sounds words and you are ready to play and learn with first grade students.
oi and oy words
Vowel teams, two vowels that are together in a word that make a long sound or different sound, are hard. There are so many of them and numerous rules. Some make the long wounds. Others make totally different sounds. You will find that some vowel teams can be used at the beginning of words, while others can only be found at the end. As my little girl is working through these sounds, we have needed lots of extra practice. I’m constantly looking for new ideas to help her practice reading the new sounds, and practice spelling with all the rules with grade 1 students.
For the last few weeks, we have been working on the “oi” sound. After learning both spellings and their rules, I decided an easy activity to practice spelling and reading was needed. And so these simple word cards to practice spelling oi and oy words came in handy.
oi Phonics Words
With just a little bit of cutting, this activity will be ready for multiple uses.
- First, print the words you want to use on card stock paper.
- Next, cut out the word cards and the “oy” and “oi” circles.
- Now you are ready for your little one to practice spelling oy and oi words.
oi sound words
So what is the rule for spelling oy and oi words?
Let’s tackle the “oi” first. This vowel team is generally found in the middle of words or at the beginning. Think about the word oil as an example of seeing “oi” at the beginning. Words like soil, coin and moist are great examples of this. It is also important to note that you can see it in the middle of syllables too. Toilet is a two-syllable word. Toil is the first syllable and you can see the oil sitting proudly right in the middle.
Obviously, if “oi” is found in the middle of the word, then you will find oy at the end of the word. Toy, soy, and joy are great examples of this.
oy sound words
But once again, syllabe breaks are very important. Look at the word oyster. At first glance, you may think this is a rule breaker. But it isn’t. Let’s break it into syllables. oy/ster. The oy is standing alone or is at the end of the syllable. This is why we use the oy.
Check out loyal. Once again the oy is at the end of the syllable. (Loy/al)
As your little one reads the words and figures out wether to use the “oy” or the “oi” they get to practice using this rule and reading this fun vowel team.
Long o Vowel Teams
- Free printable ow sound sliders
- Race to the top ou sound words game
- Cut and paste oa and oe worksheets
- Color by phonics sound oo words for kids
- Phonics puzzles with vowel team oa
- Snowman Phonics Activity Reading oi sound Words
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Long ee Words BINGO – Vowel Teams Game
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- Irregular Vowels Activity with Verb Sliders
- See all our Vowels activities here
Looking for more blends activities for young learners? You will love these resources:
- Final Consonant Ending Blends Games
- Ending s Blends worksheets with do a dot markers
- Practice Consonant Blends with cute printable puzzles
- Slide and Read Blends Activity
- Beginning Blends Fall Activities for 1st Grade
- Blue Bird Sorting Blends Activity
- Read and Color Ending Blends Worksheets
- Mitten Initial Blends Winter Activities for 1st Grade
- Initial Blends Matching Game for kids
- Do a Dot Ending Blends Worksheet
- Ending Blends Bingo Dauber Worksheets
- Ch, Sh, Th Digraph Game
- Read and Clip Consonant Blends Activities
- Handy L Blends Worksheets with magenetic letters
- Graph a Blends Activities for 2nd graders
- Floss Rule Worksheets
- Free Printable Color by Blend Worksheet
- Ending S Blends Clip Cards
- Printable nk Ending Blends Clip Cards
- NG Words for Kids Game
- BIngo Dabber ng and nk worksheets
- Th Worksheets – Read th blends in sentences
- R Controlled Vowel Worksheets
- Free printable Blends Worksheets with dot markers
- Practice ed Endings with Free Printable BINGO Game
- FREE Printable ed Endings Worksheets
- Learn about the Three Sounds of Ed with these handy free phonics worksheets
oi oy word list
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.