Grab this Adding Within 5 Gingerbread Addition Game to get children practicing their basic adding skills.
Kindergarten is that wonderful time of exploring the alphabet and numbers. One of the skills that can be explored is adding, especially within five!
Using ten frames and other manipulatives are a great way to start, and then games help solidify the learning. This game is a perfect way to help children get these facts memorized.
Gingerbread Addition Game
First, print off the gingerbread men on cardstock paper. Next, cut them out. Then, gather up your pre-k or kindergarten kiddos for some fun Christmas learning.
Gingerbread Addition Game: 3 Ways to Play
#1 Simple Match
This is the probably the easiest way to use the cards. Simply put them on a table and have the children solve the problems and find the gingerbread men that has the answer.
I love this game for building memory and helping children learn to pay attention to details. For this game, all you need to do is choose the sets you want to use, or use all the cards. Next place the cards on the table face down. Children then take turns flipping over two cards at a time. If the cards have an expression and a number that equals the sum of the expression, the player collects those two cards….and they get another turn. When all the cards have been collected, the player with the most cards wins!
#3 Go Eat
Since there aren’t any fish on the cards, I’m calling this Go Eat…as in go grab another gingerbread to eat. This game is for two players. To begin, each player draws five cards from the pile of gingerbread men. They then take turns asking each other for a card.
For example, player one may have a 2+3 in their hand. They would ask the other player if they have a five. If player two has a five then they must hand it over, and player one places their match on the table. If player two doesn’t have it, they simply say “Go Eat!”. Player one must draw a card from the pile.
A player may also ask for an expression. If they have a gingerbread man with five on it, they can ask for a 3 + 2. The other player must give up any card that has 2 + 3 or 3 + 2 on it.
The game ends when a player no longer has cards in their hand. That player counts the number of cards they were able to match. THe other player counts the cards they matched but must subtract the number of cards left in their hand from the total.
The player with the largest number of matches wins.
Learning with Christmas themed printable adds a little extra fun to math time!! Enjoy!!!
More Christmas Schooling Ideas
- Christmas Solve & Stamp Math Worksheets (math)
- Christmas Greater Than Less Than Worksheets (math)
- Christmas Color by Number (preschool / K)
- 12 Days of Christmas Coloring Pages (literature)
- Polar Express Coloring Pages (pre-writing motor skills; coloring pages)
- Gingerbread Coloring Pages (pre-writing motor skills; coloring pages)
- Memorizing Luke 2 for Families (Bible)
- Decomposing Numbers – (knowing that 13 equals 10 and 3)
- Adding Ornament Game
- Craft & Pray Around the Word (Bible & Geography)
- Christmas Writing Prompts (language arts)
- Christmas Elf Writing Prompts (language arts)
- December Spelling Tests (language arts K-6th)
- Christmas Lights (alphabet or spelling activity)
- Gingerbread Pirate Worksheets (Preschool-2nd Grade)
- Polar Express Worksheets (Preschool-2nd Grade)
This is such a fun, hands on math game for kindergartners that helps achieve fluency while having FUN!
- Printable Addition Tic Tac Toe Math Game
- Gumball Math – Addition and Subtraction Practice
- Crack the Code Worksheet – Addition Practice
- Free Christmas Addition worksheets
- Fall Addition Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Sleeping Beauty Color by Addition Math Worksheets
- Hands-on Goldfish Addition Practice
- Pot of Gold Addition Practice
- Rubber Duckie Kindergarten Math activity
- Planting Seeds Free Addition Games
- Math Addition Worksheets Mini Book – Adding 0-12
- Deck of Cards Free Addition Worksheets
- Disney Princess Flashcards – Addition
- Free Addition within 10 Games Printable
- Turkey Addition Thanksgiving Math Worksheets
- Apple Addition Coloring Pages
- Free Frog Math – Addition Game for Kids
- St Patricks Day Addition Practice
- Gingerbread Addition Math Game
- Math Mystery Pack – Solve Addition & Subtraction Word Problems
Download Gingerbread Addition Game
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.