If you are looking for a no fail, easy to make, puffy gingerbread ornaments recipe I’ve got you covered. This is a great recipe that will produce beautiful Christmas ornaments for kids to decorate.
Gingerbread Ornaments Recipe
This recipe for puffy gingerbread ornaments is amazing! First it smells wonderful and will fill your home with the smell of Christmas. Then you get the enjoy beautiful puffy gingerbread ornaments that are not to eat, but to decorate and hang on your tree for years and years of enjoyment.
Mix all ingredients to the following recipe and chill dough for 3 hours to overnight.
- 3 Tablespoons Shortening
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 3/4 – 1 1/2 Cup water
- 1 tsp of Baking soda
- 1/2 Cup Molasses
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cloves
- 3 1/2 Cups of flour
Gingerbread Man Ornament
Just roll out the chilled dough on a floured surface. Use cookie cutters to make seasonal shapes.
Note: You can press red hot as buttons and raisins or peppercorns as eyes if you’d like to decorate these ornaments more “traditionally”
Bake on parchment lined baking sheets at 350 F for 20 minutes.
Once they were cooled we used puffy paint to decorate them. This gave them a really nice polished look and was so much easier to work with than icing, paint or markers! You many also consider varnishing them for durability.
My 4 year old was so proud of our Gingerbread Ornaments. Honestly, my favorite were these trees that we just swirled the “icing” on.
Puffy Gingerbread Ornament Recipe
- 3 Tablespoons shortening crisco blue box is what we use
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- Mix all ingredients together and chill dough for 3 hours to overnight. Roll out and use cookie cutters. Place on greased or parchment lined cookie sheets and bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. Allow to dry thoroughly 1-3 days before varnishing and painting.
Christmas Crafts for Kids
- My Favorite Christmas Tree Craft
- Christmas Around the World – 6 Country Crafts
- Christmas Playdough Mats
- Painting Christmas Mystery Pictures
- Christmas Star Christmas Ornament
- Colorful Bowl Craft Craft for Kids
- Paper Wreath Craft for Kids
- Marbelized Melted Crayon Ornaments
- Simple Paper STrip Chrsitmas Treee Ornament