Help kids continue to work on grade 1 phonics skills with sion sound words so they can improve reading and spelling skills with. This sion words phonics activity uses a phonics printable for two syllable, three syllable, and four syllable sion words. This sion phonics is perfect for first graders.
sion Sound Words
t is time to practice reading and spelling words with “sion”.
I’m learning a ton as I’m working through my daughter’s reading journey. For some of the lessons, I’m just learning as adult knowledge and don’t explain all of it to my little girl. This lesson was one of those. At some point, we will go back and discuss the rules for when to add “tion” vs “sion”. But for now, we just practiced saying “sion”, reading “sion” words, and then spelling “sion” words.
But for you, I wanted to share a few of the rules for when to use “sion” before we get into the activity I did with my little girl.
Rules for using “sion”
There are numerous rules for using “sion” but here are a few of the most common ones.
- When a verb ends with the letter “de” we add “sion”. For example, invade would turn to invasion.
- Next, we will see this with verbs ending in “ss”. Possess changes to possession, while confess becomes confession.
- Another place we will add the “sion” is with a verb ending in “mit”. We can see this in the word admit which will change to admission.
- Moving on, our next rule deals with the magic e in “ise” or “use”. When a verb ends with those three letters, you generally will need to add the “sion”. Revise changes to revision, and confuse to confusion.
- Finally, we will see the “sion” used after “pel”. For example, repel becomes repulsion.
As you can see, there are a lot of rules for using “sion”, and I know this is too much for my daughter right now. We will revisit this later, but for now I decided to just expose her to reading and spelling these new words. And that is where this activity came from.
sion Words Phonics
I love puzzles and my little girl loves puzzles, but they do require just a little prep work.
- First, print off the puzzles on cardstock paper.
- Next, cut out the pieces.
- Laminate if you would like some extra durabitily.
- Finally, you are ready to go.
When I first started working on these words with my little girl, I chose three words and scrambled them up in front of her. I would then say one of the words while deliberately exaggerating the syllables. She would then spell out the word using the puzzle pieces in front of her.
Other times I would put the puzzle pieces together and then have her read the words. Since the words are divided into syllables, it was a little easier for her to sound them out and use her knowledge of syllable types to decode the words.
After a few days of doing both these ways, I let her have a go of it on her own. I still would only give her about three or four words at a time to keep it from being overwhelming. Once she would get a word put together, I would have her read it out loud to me. We were finally reading and spelling “sion” words.
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Long ee Words BINGO – Vowel Teams Game
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- Irregular Vowels Activity with Verb Sliders
- See all our Vowels activities here
Worksheets for Grade 1
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on 1st grade Worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf free
- Fun-to-Read Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- Free Printable 1st Grade Book Report template
- Kid favorite, FREE Cut and Paste Worksheets for a variety of subjects!
- Sight Words Printable List
- First Grade Word Search
- Fun, free printable punctuation games for kids
- Phonics Dab the th worksheets
- sh, ch, th word Digraph Games
- Ending Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Cut and Paste L Blends Worksheets
- LOTS more free printable phonics worksheets and games
Free printable worksheets for 1st grade
Looking for even more grade 1 worksheets to review skills while having fun? Check out these resources:
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Bingo Shapes Game
- Color the Coin Money Coloring Pages
- Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery
- Printable Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Game
- Free Hundreds Tens and Ones Worksheets
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
1st Grade Science
Dive into some outrageousl fun science with our hands-on experiments and first grade worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- EASY Lemon Battery Experiment
- 12 Hands-on Battery Experiment Ideas for Kids
- Mind-blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Magnet experiments for Kids
- Balloon Solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities plus other projects
- Phases of the Moon for Kids – worksheets, activities, Oreo moon phases, and more
- Weather Unit with worksheets and hands-on weather activities for kids
- Learn the planet names with this Solar System for Kids Lesson plus tons of other Solar System Project Ideas
Grade 1 Science
Plus don’t miss these worksheets for grade 1
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Dive into the amazing world of botany with this plants for kids lessons
- Learn about LOTS of life cycles for kids (panda, spider, watermelon, bee, sunflower, spider, and more!)
- TONS of fun Human Body for Kids activities, expeirments, and free printables too!
- Free Scientific Method Worksheets
Free first grade worksheets
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables. Plus don’t miss all our fun, free, and immersive history lessons for kids and our other worksheet for grade 1
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Free Printable States and Capitals Matching Game
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty,and more!
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Ready to dive more in depth? Check out Country Study for Kids – look at 16 countries around the world up close
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Research and learn with these free Children around the World Worksheets
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- You can find all our FREE printable country coloring pages covering over 36 different nations – or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, Germany Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, printable math games, language arts worksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages!
phonics activities year 1
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.