Did you know that November is National Aviation History Month? The history of aviation, flight, and planes is of great interest to kids. Your preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th grade students will love learning about the History of Flight for Kids and how they work with these fun airplane crafts and aviation activities for kids!
History of flight for kids
Before starting in on this history of flight for kids lesson, check out some of the books about the history of aviation and planes to learn something about this wonderful invention. You may be surprised at what even you learn when completing this airplane unit study! Then use one or two aviation activities for kids ideas to complete your study – or use them all if your kids are extremely interested in learning more about airplanes and flight. Maybe you are teaching a future pilot!
Take these ideas and use them to spark an entire unit study about the history of aviation and how we have conquered the sky all the way to space, the moon, Mars, and beyond. The brief history of flight is truly fascinating to learn about!
Books about Airplanes and Aviation
Read these books to learn the basics of aviation history and how we learned to fly.
Then, I’d encourage you to check out these lesson plan ideas on How Things Fly from the Smithsonian!
Aviation activities for kids
Your kids won’t realize they are learning when you complete these aviation crafts for kids and airplane activities!
- Kids will love this simple airplane craft!
- Use a straw and paper to make this straw puppet airplane craft!
- Make a paper airplane race! – Schooling Active Monkeys
- Build an airplane from egg cartons! – Schooling Active Monkeys
- Build your own realistic planes using just craft sticks! – Schooling Active Monkeys
- Make a Cardboard Airplane Craft – Hands On As We Grow
- Use old paper towel rolls to make this airplane! – It Mom
- Transform a cardboard box into an airplane! – Small Fry Blog
- 22 Amazing Airplane Crafts for Kids
Free Plane Worksheets and Printables
- Download this fun airplane learning pack! – Homeschool Preschool
- A is for Airplane Tot Pack – Living Worlds Apart
- Airplane Parts Worksheet
- Airplane Color by Letter
- Airplane Cutting Practice
- Airplane Travel Book – Fun with Mama
- Amelia Earheart Coloring Page
- Looking for a recipe to use up your leftover color pigment? Try our amazing Color Changing Slime
- Explore science more with this DIY Lava Lamp
- Easy, Colorful Walking Water Experiment
- Exploding Watermelon Science
- Colorful Oil and Water Science Experiment
- Color Changing Flower Experiment
- Flower Chromatography Project