If you are teaching what is figurative language, you will love this free printable figurative langauge worksheets. Each page includes a fun figurative language practice identifying similes and metaphors. Simply print the figurative languge activity and you are ready to play and learn with 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade students.
Figurative Language for Kids
The “Figurative Language Fun” printable is an engaging resource designed to introduce kids aged 7 and up to the world of similes and metaphors. This printable includes a mix of simple similes and metaphors for kids to identify and distinguish. Children can discover the beauty of figurative language and its impact on storytelling and communication.
Figurative language worksheet
What is figurative language
Figurative Language Activity
- Figurative Language Introduction: Present the printable to kids and explain the concept of similes and metaphors. Show them examples from the list and discuss their meanings.
- Color and Match: Instruct the children to color the similes with one color and the metaphors with another color, reinforcing the difference between the two literary devices.
- Storytelling Challenge: Encourage the kids to create their own short stories or sentences using similes and metaphors from the list, enhancing their writing skills and creativity.
- Figurative Language Hunt: Ask the children to read books or watch movies and identify similes and metaphors used by the characters or authors.
Figurative Language Practice
- Language Comprehension: Recognizing and understanding similes and metaphors improves language comprehension and interpretation.
- Expressive Writing: Encouraging kids to use similes and metaphors in their writing enhances their ability to create vivid and imaginative descriptions.
- Critical Thinking: Identifying similes and metaphors involves critical thinking and analyzing the meaning behind descriptive language.
Simile and Metaphor Worksheets
- Figurative Language Art: Let the kids create visual representations of the similes and metaphors they’ve colored, turning them into art pieces.
- Figurative Language Showcase: Organize a mini presentation or showcase where kids share their favorite similes and metaphors and explain why they chose them.
- Figurative Language Wall: Create a home display with the colored similes and metaphors, showcasing the children’s learning achievements.
Language Arts Worksheets & Activities
We have tons of hands-on activities and free language arts worksheets to help kids learn:
- First the basics: Free Alphabet Printables, fun Beginning Sound Activities, How to teach phonics step-by-step, How to Teach Reading, tons of grammar for kids resources, word family activities
- Children’s book lists (by grade and topic) plus fun book report ideas, free book report template, sandwich book report
- Fun rhyming activities like rhyming puzzles and free rhyming words worksheets pdf
- Sight Words printable list, Free sight word worksheets, printable candyland sight word game, color by sight word
- TONS of CVC Activities including cvc words with pictures pdf, free cvce worksheets, cut and paste short u worksheets
- Lots of Phonics Activities pdf, free Blends Activities, fun Digraph and Trigraph activities,
- FREE Spelling Test Template plus spelling dictionary for kids and spelling activities to practice like connect 4 spelling practice worksheets pdf free
- Sentence activities like printable unscramble sentences worksheet and Smores complete sentence games
- Creative Writing Prompts for Kids – printable first grade writng paper, free farm writing prompts
- Parts of Speech Activities including parts of speech BINGO, Solve It parts of speech game
- Prepositions Worksheets and Free animal reading comprehension worksheets
- Learn to use a dictionary with free Detective Dictionary Skills Worksheet
- Compound Word Activities like compound word puzzles and compound words game
- Contraction Activities like free contraction worksheets and contraction BINGO
- Free Closed Syllable Words List, Synonyms and antonyms worksheets, hands-on punctuation activities,
- TONS of Free printable books for beginning readers pdf and short vowel worksheets
Start with our guide on how to teach phonics step-by-step. Then take a peak at these fun, free phonics activities for early readers!
- final stable syllable, Free Schwa Games for working on reading and spelling
- Fall ou words for kids activity, Blends and Digraphs Charts
- Sh Worksheets and ch worksheets for kindergarten and first graders, plus Hard c and Soft c games
- Long u words and other long vowel clip cards and sion words puzzle printables for grade 1
- r controlled vowel games printable or this 5-in-a-row r-controlled vowel games or cut and paste r-controlled vowels worksheets
- 1:1:1 Doubling rule worksheets pdf and Irregular Vowels Printable Activity or Free EA vowel team activity
- nk words clip card activity and free printable consonant le worksheets or Dot marker trigraph worksheets for students
- OU and OW words printable game and er activities for first graders or cut and Paste short u worksheets (freebie!)
- TH digraph activities for second grade and 1st graders
- Bossy e worksheets and First grade blends worksheets
- Beginning blends games free printable or these Ice Cream puzzles with digraph blends
- Free Printable Digraph Bingo or cute dipthong games
- Figurative Language Practice with simile and metaphor worksheets
- Don’t miss our 3000+ language arts worksheets or our 5000+ 1st grade worksheets
simile and metaphor worksheet pdf
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.