Help kids visualize, understand, and learn compound words with these FREE Compound Word Puzzles. These are such a fun hands on learning activity for prek, Kindergarteners, 1st grade, grade 2 children.
Compound Words Printable
Help kids visualize how words become compound words with these super cute, FREE Compound Word Puzzles. There are 26 different compound words to practice in either color or black and white.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler you will love this activity for helping pre k, Kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade students. Use this as summer learning, extra practice, literacy center for classrooms, or any other supplemental activity you can use.
Compound Words for Kids
Finally, Cut along the dotted lines to separate each puzzle into two parts.
Compound Words List
Give your student a stack of puzzle pieces to put together.
- back + pack = backpack
- band + aid = bandaid
- basket + ball = basketball
- butter + fly = butterfly
- cook + book = cookbook
- cup + cake = cupcake
- dragon + fly = dragonfly
- foot + print = footprint
- base + ball = baseball
- ground + hog = groundhog
- hot + dog = hotdog
- lady + bug = ladybug
- pine + apple = pineapple
- rain + bow = rainbow
- sand + castle = sandcastle
- snow + flake = snowflake
- snow + globe = snowglobe
- snow + man = snowman
- star + fish = starfish
- sun + glasses = sunglasses
- super + hero = superhero
- tooth + brush = toothbrush
- tooth + paste = toothpaste
- pass + port = passport
- pop + corn = popcorn
- rain + storm = rainstorm
Point out that each piece has a complete word at the bottom that if put with the other complete word makes a new compound word.
Compound Word Game
When the puzzles have been matched, encourage kids to write the new words on the free printable included in the pack to practice making words, spelling, and handwriting.
1st Grade Language Arts Activities
Looking for more fun, grammar activities for grade 1. You will love these free english printables to make learning fun.
- Alpahbet-O: Sight Words Game
- Alphabet Practice Worksheets (A to Z)
- A to Z Find the Letter Worksheets
- Book Report
- Building Sentences Cut & Paste Worksheets
- Candyland Sight Word Game
- Connect 4 Spelling Practice
- Creative Writing Prompts (various)
- Dinosaur Bones Punctuation Game
- Hershey Kiss Word Families Activity
- Marshmallow Incident’s Noun – Verb Sort
- S’more Sentence Game
- Word Endings Activity Ice Cream Shop
- Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade – 8 Week Sight Word program
Don’t miss all our amazing grade 2 worksheets and 2nd grade activities with 300,000+ different ideas to make learning FUN! Or sneak in some seasonal kids activities to make the most of these precious early years!
Have other children you are homeschooling? You will want to check out our pre k worksheets, free printable worksheets for kindergarten, grade 1 worksheets, and free alphabet printables. Plus find our history for kids and easy science experiments for kids or all our free printable worksheets for kids.
Compound Word Puzzles
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Scrappin Doodles License #94836 and Molly Tillyer
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!