Help kids visualize, understand, and learn compound words with these super cute, free printable Compound Word Puzzles. These are such a fun hands on learning activity for pre-k, kindergarten, first graders, and 2nd grade students. This compound words activity is such a fun way to teach compound words for kids with a clever educational activity.
Compound word puzzles
Help kids visualize how two words become one compound word with a completely different meaning. This free Compound Word Puzzles has over 26 different compound words puzzles to make. This is such a fun early reading, literacy, and spelling activity for preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler you will love this activity for summer learning, extra practice, literacy center for classrooms, or any other supplemental activity you can use.
Compound word puzzles printable
These compound word puzzle activity is low prep and the the download pdf file contains both color or black and white versions to save you on printer ink costs.
Compound Words for Kids
Now print the pages in color or black and white on cardstock.
- Black and White Version – let students color the puzzles with crayons, markers, and colored pencils as you teach them how the two words at the bottom separately mean something, but together as ac compound word mean something else.
- Color Version – laminate for durability so you can practice again and again with these handy compound word puzzle.
Finally, Cut along the dotted lines to separate each puzzle into two parts.
Compound Words List
For this compound word activities simply give your children a stack of puzzle pieces to put together.
- back + pack = backpack
- band + aid = bandaid
- basket + ball = basketball
- butter + fly = butterfly
- cook + book = cookbook
- cup + cake = cupcake
- dragon + fly = dragonfly
- foot + print = footprint
- base + ball = baseball
- ground + hog = groundhog
- hot + dog = hotdog
- lady + bug = ladybug
- pine + apple = pineapple
- rain + bow = rainbow
- sand + castle = sandcastle
- snow + flake = snowflake
- snow + globe = snowglobe
- snow + man = snowman
- star + fish = starfish
- sun + glasses = sunglasses
- super + hero = superhero
- tooth + brush = toothbrush
- tooth + paste = toothpaste
- pass + port = passport
- pop + corn = popcorn
- rain + storm = rainstorm
Point out that each piece has a complete word at the bottom that if put with the other complete word makes a new compound word.
HINT: For younger students, or students that are just learning the concept, start out with fewer puzzles so their are fewer choices to confuse them.
Compound Words Puzzles
When the compound word games printable have been matched, encourage kids to write the new words on the free printable included in the pack to practice making words, spelling, and handwriting.
Compound Word Activities
For more practice learning compound words for kids, try these fun compound word ideas for early learners!
- Learning Compound Words with Block – a fun compound words activities
- Compound Word Puzzles – print the free set in color or black and white (self-checking)
- Apple Compound Words for kids Worksheets
- Clip it Free Compound Word Cards
- 5 Free Compound Word Activities – including picture cards, worksheets, puzzles, and more!
- Winter Compound Word Activities – free printable set includes compound word worksheets and snowflake puzzles
- Free printable Compound Words for Kids printable readers
1st Grade Language Arts Activities
Looking for more fun, grammar activities for grade 1. You will love these free english printables to make learning fun.
- Alpahbet-O: Sight Words Game
- Alphabet Practice Worksheets (A to Z)
- A to Z Find the Letter Worksheets
- Book Report
- Building Sentences Cut & Paste Worksheets
- Candyland Sight Word Game
- Connect 4 Spelling Practice
- Creative Writing Prompts (various)
- Dinosaur Bones Punctuation Game
- Hershey Kiss Word Families Activity
- Marshmallow Incident’s Noun – Verb Sort
- S’more Sentence Game
- Word Endings Activity Ice Cream Shop
- Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade – 8 Week Sight Word program
Don’t miss all our amazing grade 2 worksheets and 2nd grade activities with 300,000+ different ideas to make learning FUN! Or sneak in some seasonal kids activities to make the most of these precious early years!
Have other children you are homeschooling? You will want to check out our pre k worksheets, free printable worksheets for kindergarten, grade 1 worksheets, and free alphabet printables. Plus find our history for kids and easy science experiments for kids or all our free printable worksheets for kids.
Compound Word Puzzle PDF
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Scrappin Doodles License #94836 and Molly Tillyer
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!