Help children visualize, understand, and learn compound words for kids with these super cute, free printable compound word puzzles. These compound word picture puzzles are such a fun, hands-on learning activity for pre-k, kindergarten, first graders, and 2nd grade students. Simply print the compound word games printable pdf to teach with a clever educational activity.
Compound word puzzles
Help kids visualize how two words become one compound word with a completely different meaning. This free Compound Word Puzzles has over 26 different compound words puzzles to make. This is such a fun early reading, literacy, and spelling activity for preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler you will love this activity for summer learning, extra practice, literacy center for classrooms, or any other supplemental activity you can use.
Compound words puzzle
Compound word picture puzzles
These compound word puzzle activity is low prep and the the printable pdf file contains both color or black and white versions to save you on printer ink costs.
Compound word games printable
Now print the pages in color or black and white on cardstock.
- Black and White Version – let students color the puzzles with crayons, markers, and colored pencils as you teach them how the two words at the bottom separately mean something, but together as ac compound word mean something else.
- Color Version – laminate for durability so you can practice again and again with these handy compound word puzzle.
Compound word picture puzzles
Finally, Cut along the dotted lines to separate each puzzle into two parts.
Compound word puzzle
For this compound word activities simply give your children a stack of puzzle pieces to put together.
- back + pack = backpack
- band + aid = bandaid
- basket + ball = basketball
- butter + fly = butterfly
- cook + book = cookbook
- cup + cake = cupcake
- dragon + fly = dragonfly
- foot + print = footprint
- base + ball = baseball
- ground + hog = groundhog
- hot + dog = hotdog
- lady + bug = ladybug
- pine + apple = pineapple
- rain + bow = rainbow
- sand + castle = sandcastle
- snow + flake = snowflake
- snow + globe = snowglobe
- snow + man = snowman
- star + fish = starfish
- sun + glasses = sunglasses
- super + hero = superhero
- tooth + brush = toothbrush
- tooth + paste = toothpaste
- pass + port = passport
- pop + corn = popcorn
- rain + storm = rainstorm
Compound words game pdf
Point out that each piece has a complete word at the bottom that if put with the other complete word makes a new compound word.
Compound word puzzles printable
When the compound word games printable have been matched, encourage kids to write the new words on the free printable included in the pack to practice making words, spelling, and handwriting.
Compound words game printable
HINT: For younger students, or students that are just learning the concept, start out with fewer puzzles so their are fewer choices to confuse them.
Compound Word Activities
For more practice learning compound words for kids, try these fun compound word ideas for early learners!
- Learning Compound Words with Block – a fun compound words activities
- Compound Word Puzzles – print the free set in color or black and white (self-checking)
- Apple Compound Words for kids Worksheets
- Clip it Free Compound Word Cards
- 5 Free Compound Word Activities – including picture cards, worksheets, puzzles, and more!
- Winter Compound Word Activities – free printable set includes compound word worksheets and snowflake puzzles
- Free printable Compound Words for Kids printable readers
- Fun-to-play and FREE Compound Word Games
- Ice Cream Puzzles for Kids – Compound Words Activity
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on 1st grade Worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf free
- Fun-to-Read Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- Free Printable 1st Grade Book Report template
- Kid favorite, FREE Cut and Paste Worksheets for a variety of subjects!
- Sight Words Printable List
- Synonyms and antonyms worksheets
- First Grade Word Search
- Phonics Dab the th worksheets
- sh, ch, th word Digraph Games
- Ending Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Cut and Paste L Blends Worksheets
- LOTS more free printable phonics worksheets and games
1st Grade Math
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Printable Number Bond Games
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Bingo Shapes Game
- Color the Coin Money Coloring Pages
- Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery
- Printable Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Game
- Free Hundreds Tens and Ones Worksheets
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
1st Grade Science
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- EASY Lemon Battery Experiment
- 12 Hands-on Battery Experiment Ideas for Kids
- Mind-blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Magnet experiments for Kids
- Balloon Solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities plus other projects
- Phases of the Moon for Kids – worksheets, activities, Oreo moon phases, and more
- Weather Unit with worksheets and hands-on weather activities for kids
- Learn the planet names with this Solar System for Kids Lesson plus tons of other Solar System Project Ideas
Grade 1 Science
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Dive into the amazing world of botany with this plants for kids lessons
- Learn about LOTS of life cycles for kids (panda, spider, watermelon, bee, sunflower, spider, and more!)
- TONS of fun Human Body for Kids activities, expeirments, and free printables too!
- Free Scientific Method Worksheets
United States Lesson for Kids
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables. Plus don’t miss all our fun, free, and immersive history lessons for kids
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Free Printable States and Capitals Matching Game
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty,and more!
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Ready to dive more in depth? Check out Country Study for Kids – look at 16 countries around the world up close
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Research and learn with these free Children around the World Worksheets
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- You can find all our FREE printable country coloring pages covering over 36 different nations – or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, Germany Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Compound word puzzle pdf
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Scrappin Doodles License #94836 and Molly Tillyer
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!
>> Compound Word Puzzles <<
I love your free printables so much that you deserve to get $ for all your great ideas and work to share with others. I definitely will be purchasing from your website. Thank you so much
Free printable is very helpful with teachers like me thank you so much