Providing seasonal writing prompts for children helps them get more excited about writing! These super cute winter story starters have images to color and a word bank to help pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students work on writing skills. Kindergarten story starters are perfect for helping your young writers get their creative juices flowing. Simply download pdf file with winter writing prompts
Winter story starters
Seasonal writing prompts are a great way to incorporate seasons and holidays into your everyday writing. They are sure to get your kids’ creative juices flowing! These winter writing prompts are sure to be a hit with your young writers. They’re perfect for older preschoolers, kindergarteners, and young grade 1 students. The no-prep winter story starters are easy to add to your writing time during December, January, and February. Just print and go!
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love these writing prompts for winter. Use them as extra practice, over Christmas break, literacy center in your classroom, or supplement to your homeschool writing curriculum. You can take a peak at all our FREE creative writing prompts for elementary age kids!
Kindergarten story starters
Print out each of the writing prompts (pages 3- 9). I suggest printing page 10 on the back of each of those pages. This allows more seasoned writers more space to continue their story on the backside.
Winter Writing Prompts
Instead of story starters, these writing pages include a picture prompt. Children can colour these pictures to match their stories if they’d like. we suggest using crayons, colored pencils, or markers to color the pictures to personalize them.
Each page includes a word bank. The word bank includes words that go along with each picture. Children shouldn’t be required to use each word. They are included for inspiration and for spelling help.
Writing prompts for winter
At the end of this pack, there is a page of word cards. This page can be cut into individual word cards or left whole. Children can use these cards for additional word inspiration or spelling practice as they write their stories. These are handy to use as winter break writing prompts.
- Snowman Clipart with word bank: snowman, hat, carrot, twigs, button, cold
- Snowing Clipart with word bank: snow, cloud, flakes, snowflakes, winter
- Groundhog Clipart with word bank: ground hog, spring, winter, shadow
- Hearts Clipart with word bank: Valentine, heart, love, candy, flowers, friend
- Hot Cocoa Clipart with word bank: hot chocolate, winter, cold, marshmallows, cocoa, drink
- Tree with Snow Clipart with word bank: winter, bare, tree, leaves, snow, frozen
- Boy ice skating Clipart with word bank: winter, cold, rink, skates, skating, ice
- Blank writing paper with ruled lined
- Word Cards: hat, mittens, scarf, sled, boots, hockey, skiing, shovel, cocoa, January, February, jacket, coat, icicles, gloves, and frost.
Looking for more free winter worksheets, winter activities, and winter themed ideas to make learning fun all winter long? Check out these fun resources:
- Free Printable Winter Worksheets help pre-k and kindergarten age students practice a variety of math and literacy skills
- Winter Rhymes –Matching Rhyming Words Games
- Winter Pre-Writing Activity for early learners
- Practice counting to 100 with these free Winter Color by Number Worksheets
- Super cute Winter Writing Prompts Kindergarten
- Or work on letter recognition with these Color by Letter Winter Worksheets
- Rhyming Words with Pictures Winter Puzzles
- Winter Free Sight Word Worksheets
- Winter Syllables printable activity
- Free Printable Winter Story Starters
- Winter Roll and Cover worksheets with do a dot markers
- Fun-to-Read Winter Books for Kids
- Practice counting to 10 with this super cute Free Winter Printables
Nothing says winter like snowman! Try these cute snowman printables:
- Build a CVC Word Snowman Activities for early readers!
- Snowman Printables Letter Tracing
- Adorable Count to 10 Snowman Printables Book
- Winter Snowman Word Family Spinners freebie
- Printable Snowman Clock and telling time activities
- Fun Snowman Math Craft for kids to practice addition within 10
- Build a Snowman worksheet to help kindergartners work on sequencing
- Winter Playdough Mats for kids to build common winter items
- Practice phonemic awareness with these adorable Snowman Coloring Pages
- Snowman Printables for teaching children basic shapes
- How cute are these Snowman Printables to trace and erase
- Winter Snap Cube Free Printables
- Hands-on Winter Counting activity for preschoolers
- Free Winter Worksheets for pre-k
- Super cute, count to 10 Snowman Crafts Preschool
- Snow globe Letter Find Winter Worksheets
- Winter worksheets for Kindergartens
- DIY Snow Globe craft for kids
- Try this easy snowman craft that uses circle stickers
- This amazing Snow Dough recipe is only 2 ingredients, cold, and doesn’t melt!
- Adorable Glue Snowman Craft
- This How to Make Snow Ice Cream is a must this winter!
Free Writing Prompts
Looking for more writing activities? Try these
- On the Farm Writing Prompts
- FREE Printable Handwriting Paper
- Roll a Character – Fun Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Jungle Writing Prompts
- Star Wars Writing Prompts
- Spring Writing Prompts
- October Writing Prompts
- Picture Writing Prompts Kindergarten
- Pattern Writing
- March Writing Prompts
- Farm Writing Prompts
- Whale Ocean Writing Prompts
- Pineapple Writing Activities for Kindergarten
- Build and Write Lego Writing Prompts
- Free Winter Writing Prompts
- Roll a Character Writing Activity
- Free Autumn Writing Prompts
- **Plus don’t miss all 500+ pages of Fun Writing Prompts for kids of all ages!
Download FREE Winter Story Starters
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and personal classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.