100 card game
Are you constantly looking for ways to make addition math practice fun and engaging? Or are you tired of the same routine with the same worksheets or flashcards? Well, rest assured, math practice does not have to look like that! It can be fun and can even include the whole family. One of the easiest ways to do this is to play a math card game. Card games are beneficial because they are low cost (you can grab a deck of cards at the dollar store) and low prep. This 100 card game allows grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students to have fun practicing addion with a addition activity!
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler you will love this addition game that makes gaining fluency fun and EASY! Use this as extra practice at home, math center in your classroom, or suppelement to your homeschool math curriculum. No matter how you use it this 1st grade math game or whether you use it to review and improve speed by making it a 2nd grade math game – this is sure to get kids excited to practice math!
Addition games for kids
And as with most math card games, set up is easy: all you need is a deck of cards! For this game, you can either remove the face cards and play with the numbers 1-10, or you can include face cards to represent the following values:
Jack-11, Queen-12, King-13, Ace-0.
Then shuffle the deck well and place it face down in the middle of the playing area.
The object of the game is to be the first player to reach 100 without going over. To begin, each player starts with a score of zero. Then player one draws a card and places it face up in front of them. They then add the value of that card to their starting value (0). Players then take turns drawing cards, on each turn adding the new value to their previous score. Any player whose score goes over 100 is out of the game.
The first player to reach 100 exactly wins. Or, after all cards are drawn, the player with a score closest to 100 without going over wins.
(Note: If you’re playing with a small number of kids, you may want to cut the deck in half before starting, or determine a set number of turns for each player, such as 15. Otherwise you may have every player go over 100 before depleting the deck.)
Depending on the age and ability of your kids, there are lots of different variations to this game that you can try. This might be a fun way to change up a family favorite, or a way to provide a greater challenge to older kids. For example, you could add a Joker card to the deck to mean that a player must start over at zero. Or you could practice subtraction by having each player start with a score of 100 and subtract the value of each card to be the first player to zero. Or for older kids who need practice with multiplication, change the rules so that the goal is to reach 1,000 without going over. Then have kids draw 2 cards and multiply them, adding up the total as they go. (In this variation, all face cards are equal to 10).
Finally, challenge middle schoolers by making black cards equal to positive values and red cards equal to negative values. Then add/subtract integers on each turn.
1st grade worksheets
Looking for more fun and free first grade math resources? You will love these FREE printables for 1st grade math:
- Pumpkin Math Activity
- Math Mysteries – Addition and Subtractin Math Puzzles
- Tic-Tac-Toe Addition Math Game
- Bubble Gum Math Worksheets for 1st Graders
- Spring Addition Math Game
- Solve and Stamp Math Worksheets
- Clever Addition Mini Book
- 1st Grade Math Worksheets turn into mad miutes math game!
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets