100 card game
Are you constantly looking for ways to make addition math practice fun and engaging? Or are you tired of the same routine with the same worksheets or flashcards? Well, rest assured, math practice does not have to look like that! It can be fun and can even include the whole family. One of the easiest ways to do this is to play a math card game. Card games are beneficial because they are low cost (you can grab a deck of cards at the dollar store) and low prep. This 100 card game allows grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students to have fun practicing addion with a addition activity!
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler you will love this addition game that makes gaining fluency fun and EASY! Use this as extra practice at home, math center in your classroom, or suppelement to your homeschool math curriculum. No matter how you use it this 1st grade math game or whether you use it to review and improve speed by making it a 2nd grade math game – this is sure to get kids excited to practice math!
Addition games for kids
And as with most math card games, set up is easy: all you need is a deck of cards! For this game, you can either remove the face cards and play with the numbers 1-10, or you can include face cards to represent the following values:
Jack-11, Queen-12, King-13, Ace-0.
Then shuffle the deck well and place it face down in the middle of the playing area.
The object of the game is to be the first player to reach 100 without going over. To begin, each player starts with a score of zero. Then player one draws a card and places it face up in front of them. They then add the value of that card to their starting value (0). Players then take turns drawing cards, on each turn adding the new value to their previous score. Any player whose score goes over 100 is out of the game.
The first player to reach 100 exactly wins. Or, after all cards are drawn, the player with a score closest to 100 without going over wins.
(Note: If you’re playing with a small number of kids, you may want to cut the deck in half before starting, or determine a set number of turns for each player, such as 15. Otherwise you may have every player go over 100 before depleting the deck.)
100 card game rules
Depending on the age and ability of your kids, there are lots of different variations to this game that you can try. This might be a fun way to change up a family favorite, or a way to provide a greater challenge to older kids. For example, you could add a Joker card to the deck to mean that a player must start over at zero. Or you could practice subtraction by having each player start with a score of 100 and subtract the value of each card to be the first player to zero. Or for older kids who need practice with multiplication, change the rules so that the goal is to reach 1,000 without going over. Then have kids draw 2 cards and multiply them, adding up the total as they go. (In this variation, all face cards are equal to 10).
Finally, challenge middle schoolers by making black cards equal to positive values and red cards equal to negative values. Then add/subtract integers on each turn.
Worksheets for Grade 1
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on 1st grade Worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf free
- Fun-to-Read Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- Free Printable 1st Grade Book Report template
- Kid favorite, FREE Cut and Paste Worksheets for a variety of subjects!
- Sight Words Printable List
- First Grade Word Search
- Fun, free printable punctuation games for kids
- Phonics Dab the th worksheets
- sh, ch, th word Digraph Games
- Ending Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Cut and Paste L Blends Worksheets
- LOTS more free printable phonics worksheets and games
Free printable worksheets for 1st grade
Looking for even more grade 1 worksheets to review skills while having fun? Check out these resources:
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Lots of fun, free money games for kids
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Bingo Shapes Game
- Color the Coin Money Coloring Pages
- Addition and Subtraction Math Mystery
- Printable Addition Tic-Tac-Toe Game
- Free Hundreds Tens and Ones Worksheets
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
1st Grade Science
Dive into some outrageousl fun science with our hands-on experiments and first grade worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- EASY Lemon Battery Experiment
- 12 Hands-on Battery Experiment Ideas for Kids
- Mind-blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Magnet experiments for Kids
- Balloon Solid, liquid, gas hands-on activities plus other projects
- Phases of the Moon for Kids – worksheets, activities, Oreo moon phases, and more
- Weather Unit with worksheets and hands-on weather activities for kids
- Learn the planet names with this Solar System for Kids Lesson plus tons of other Solar System Project Ideas
Grade 1 Science
Plus don’t miss these worksheets for grade 1
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Dive into the amazing world of botany with this plants for kids lessons
- Learn about LOTS of life cycles for kids (panda, spider, watermelon, bee, sunflower, spider, and more!)
- TONS of fun Human Body for Kids activities, expeirments, and free printables too!
- Free Scientific Method Worksheets
Free first grade worksheets
Help children learn about the great country of the United States with these free printables. Plus don’t miss all our fun, free, and immersive history lessons for kids and our other worksheet for grade 1
- Printable USA Presidents Coloring Pages
- Cute, Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Free Printable States and Capitals Matching Game
- Free Presidents Worksheets – Learn about all the American presidents
- US States I Spy Worksheets
- Help kids understand where do I live with this clever printable activity
- Learn about American symbols with these Patriotic American Symbols for Kids
- How much do you know about USA for Kids? Color the flag, look at a map, discover famous landmarks like the statue of liberty,and more!
- American Symbols Worksheets
- Explore American History for kids including lots of fun, hands on activities and free printables
- 4 week lesson about Early Explorers for Kids
- The Colonial America for Kids lesson takes kids on a journey back to the first permanent settlement in America – Jamestown. Students will learn about colonial life with lots of hands on projects like eating Gruel, making a Wattle & Daub house, and creating a tin lantern will make the settlement come alive.
- We will make westward expansion for kids come alive for kids as they learn facts about the time period from about 1783-1898. In addition to learning about the Oregon trail, pony express, gold rush, transcontinental railroad, students will also learn to match animal trails, map the united states, and learn about North American animals too.
- Pennant History Posters to see US History At-a-Glance
- Learn about the Roaring 1920s for Kids – Printable Book to Read, Color, and Learn
- Rosa Parks for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Martin Luther King Jr for Kids Printable Reader to Color and Learn
- Free Printable Maps including world map, continents, and country maps with and without labeling
- Ready to dive more in depth? Check out Country Study for Kids – look at 16 countries around the world up close
- Use Lego to explore famous landmarks in countries for kids
- Research and learn with these free Children around the World Worksheets
- Roll into Geography – Printable Geography Games
- You can find all our FREE printable country coloring pages covering over 36 different nations – or jump right to Spain Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, Chile Coloring Pages, Germany Coloring Pages, and Costa Rica Coloring Pages
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Looking for more fun, creative ways you can begin your free homeschool? We have over 1,000,000 pages of FREE Printable Worksheets including resources for: pre k worksheets, kindergarten worksheets, 1st grade worksheets, 2nd grade worksheets, 3rd grade worksheets, 4th grade worksheets, 5th grade worksheets, 6th grade worksheets, and more. Plus see our history lessons for kids, printable math games, language arts worksheets, sight word worksheets, free alphabet printables, and cvc word activities for kids of all ages!