These super cute sliders are a fun, effecitve way for first grade and 2nd grade students to learn irregular vowels. Children will have fun with this clever irregular verb activity and parents will love all the irregular verbs practice. Simply print pdf file with irregular verb game and you are ready to play and learn long o followed by ld, lt, and st as well as long o followed by nd and ld.
My twins and I have spent a lot of time learning short vowel sounds, and now we are working on long vowels. We have learned about open door syllables, vowels that are not followed by a consonant, make a long vowel sound. We see this in words like be or table. Of course we learned all about the magic e rule, and just a couple of vowel teams (ai makes a long a). This week though we have found an exception – irregular vowels. Got to love English.
- When an o is followed by two consonants such as ld, lt, and st, the o make a long sound.
- This also happens with i. When it is followed by nd or ld, the i makes a long sound.
This is can be quite confusing for our little readers beacuse many of them have spent a year learning that an a vowel makes a short sound in a one syllable word and it is by itself. And now, we through an expection at them. Well, as you can imagine, this new rule needs a lot of practice. And that is why I created these irregular verb activity using kid-favorite – sliders. This irregular verb game is great to help grade 1 and grade 2 get lots of extra practice with a phonics activity intended to help them strengthen reading and spelling skills.
Irregular vowels worksheets
These sliders require a little bit of work, but it is worth it. We have used them over and over to practice these fun sounds, and it really helped.
- First print off all the pages. I recommend using card stock as it holds up much better to the pushing and pulling.
- Next cut out the blue box on the pages with the pictures.
- Now staple a blank piece of paper to the pages you just cut.
- The next step is to cut out the letters.
- Finally, slide the letters in-between the pages you stapled and you are ready to go.
Irregular vowel teams
Now it is time to read. Before you begin, review the rule with your child and have them practice the sound.
- Old – says old like an old dog.
- olt – say “olt” like in bolt.
- ost – says “ost” like in most.
- ind – say “ind” like in mind
- ild – says “ild” like in wild
Then slide down the letters to make words. Cold, fold, mold, scold, stronghold, untold
Irregular vowel sounds
My little girl had a little trouble when we jumped to the two-syllable words. So we colored in the first syllable so she knew to focus on that syllable first, and then she could read the irregular long vowel part. It really helped her to see the two syllables, and we got to review syllables and where to break the words up at.
I hope these simple word sliders help your little one master irregular long vowels.
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Long ee Words BINGO – Vowel Teams Game
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- Irregular Vowels Activity with Verb Sliders
- See all our Vowels activities here
Irregular vowel patterns
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.