Phonics and word study are a crucial part of learning to read and what better way to practice it than with Dipthong Puzzles. This free printable diphthong games is a fun way for first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd graders to pracice puting sounds together to form words with phonics skills. Plus, these diphthong games are FREE!! Simply print pdf file with diphthongs worksheets and you are ready to play and learn!
According to the Webster Dictionary, diphthongs are ” two vowel sounds joined in one syllable to form one speech sound”. If that nice definition didn’t quite work for you, let me give you some examples. It is the oy sound in boy or the oi sound in voice. But we can complicate matters even more and say that the ew in jewel is also a diphthong even though the w is not a vowel. Isn’t English is so much fun? One way to help young children improve their reading fluency is to teach them the sounds the two letters in a diphthong make, and the more they are exposed to these words the more comfortable they will become with these sounds.
This dipthong game makes it fun for kids to practice listening for dipthongs in words whiel having fun with a phonics activity for kids in grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this free printable dipthong games is sure to make improving reading and spelling skills a snap!
Free printable diphthong games
If children are unfamiliar with diphthongs and the sounds they make, these puzzles with will be very frustrating. I advise introducing diphthongs and playing with the sounds and words before you start the puzzles. We began our study of each diphthong with a fun interactive notebook activity. It had us reading the words, coloring in pictures, reading texts with the word, doing word searches, and filling in the blanks of a story with words that had diphthongs.
We continued our study with games that gave us a little more practice reading words with diphthongs.
When I finally felt he was very comfortable with the sounds, we moved onto these puzzle pieces.
Sure dipthongs worksheets are easy to prep, but they aren’t as much fun. Kids love playing games to practice concepts so these diplothong puzzles are a favorite with kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade kids.
Unfortunately, printable puzzles do require a little prep work, but with the right steps taken they can last a long time and be used over and over.
- First, print off the diphthong puzzles on cardstock paper
- Next, cut them out
- For added durability, laminate
- Finally, sit down with your Kindergartener, First grader, or second grader and get ready for some fun learning
The diphthong puzzles review 9 different sounds. For each sound, there are four words. Also included are six blank puzzles. This allows you to add a few extra special words if you so desire. The sounds and words used with them are as follows…
- au – author, pause, sauce, haunt
- aw – hawk, yawn, shawl, crawl
- ew – jewel, blew, grew, chew
- oi – voice. foil, hoist, point
- oo – scoop, stool, tool, moon
- ou – mouse, count, couch, south
- ow – clown, growl, crowd, bow
- 00 – wood, hood, cook, book
- oy – oyster, toy, joy, coy
If you were to drop all those words in front of a young child, many of them would just sit and stare. They would be quite overwhelmed with the task in front of them. I highly suggest only giving 4 to 8 diphthong puzzles at a time. You could work on one sound at a time and only have them work through 4 puzzles. Or give them four puzzles with 2 of the diphthongs that sound the same….. such as oi and oy. Really want to challenge them? Then hand them eight puzzles with all different sounds. The options are endless!!
The goal for the diphthong puzzles is to get children to sound out the words, recognize the letters that make each sound, recognize the sounds each diphthong make, and then put it all together to make a word.
Some children will need very little instruction and can easily do this on their own.
Other children will need you to sit down with them. They may need you to break apart the word for them and say each sound separately. The more you work through the words, gradually release the responsibility to the student. If at first you have to say the words and break them apart, then after a few have the child say the word and try on their own to say the sounds in the word. Try to do less and less for them until they are able to succeed on their own. Before you know it, they will be comfortable spelling diphthongs by themselves. Enjoy!
Digraph and Blends
As children progress in phonics they work on digraphs and blends. Digraphs are two consonants that make one sound such as /TH/ sys thumb. Consonant blends have two constonants that each still make their own sound such as . If you are looking for more blends for kids games, worksheets, and activities? Check out these resoures or see all our digraph activities or consonant activities.
- Spring Digraph Activity Puzzles
- Printable Digraph Game for working on sh, ch, th words
- Ice Cream Puzzles Digraph Game for summer learning
- Build-a-Digraph Puzzle – Digraph Activity
- Digraph BINGO Game
Mastered digraphs? Move on to trigraphs for kids! These words are 3 constonants that make one sound such at
- Trigraph Printables – color and read trigraphs
- Printable Trigraph Readers – set #2
- Trigraph Workhseets – cut and paste to learn trigraph words
- Bingo Dauber Trigraph Worksheets make learning fun
- THR Word Activity with playdough!
- Trigraph Phonics Blending Games
Consonant blends activities
Other Literacy Activities you may enjoy:
- Free Ending Blends Worksheets
- Spring Bee Initial Blends Game
- Consonant Blends Games (puzzles in color or black & white)
- Blue Bird Initial Blends Activity
- Read and Color Free Blends Worksheets
- Dab a Blend – Ending Blends Worksheets in First Grade
- Final Blends Game
- Hands-on L Blend Worksheets
- Graph a Blends Activity
- Final Consonant Blends Worksheets with do a dot markers
- Mitten Initial Blend Puzzles – Winter activities for first grade
- Ending S Blends Activity
- L Blends Fun Pack, TH Blends Fun Pack, or R Blends Fun Pack
- Leaf Puzzle Blends – fall activities for first grade
- Th Worksheets – reading the words in sentences
- Color by Blend Worksheet
- Clip Card Consonant Blends Activities
- Find and Dot Ending Blends Activities
- Reading phonics blends
FREE Dipthong Puzzles
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.