Help kids practice sounding out and spelling short i words with these super cute, free short i words activity This Valentines Day themed short i words printable is perfect for kindergarten and first grade students working on improving phonemic awareness, identifying the sounds letters make, and as a hands-on phonics activity for February. These Short I Word Mats are a great way to work on CVC words. Children will look at the picture cards, say the word, and sound out the first grade spelling of these cvc words. SImply download pdf file with phonics activity and you are ready to print and go!
Short i words activity
Teaching children to read is an adventure. Some children will pick it up almost instinctively, while others need practice. Since Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, This Short i words activity has a fun heart theme and focuses on short i cvc words. This fun phonics activity is perfect for kindergartners and grade 1 students who are learning to sound out and spell simple words.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler- you will love this fun, hands on phonics practice for students. Use this as extra practice, Valentines day litearcy center in your classroom, or supplement to your homeschool phonics reading program.
Short I Word Printable
- First, print off all pages on card stock paper (or laminate for durability)
- Next, cut out pictures and letters
- Children pick a picture and place it in the square below the heart.
- Then the child will use the letters to spell the word pictured
CVC Words Printables
There are a couple of different ways you can do this, and it all depends on the level of your child.
If your child or students are independent, you can simply spread all the letters out and place the pictures in a pile. Then the students will draw a picture card, and use the letters to spell it.
CVC Words Activity
Sometimes, a lot of letters may overwhelm a child. In this situation, you could choose four or five words. Then find the letters that are needed to spell the words. This way the student can still work independently, but not be overwhelmed or get distracted trying to find the letters.
Short i Words
If your little one is struggling with sounding out words, then you want to support as much as possible. I would recommend choosing just three words, and the letters needed. Then help the child say the word the picture represents. Next, you can help them say the sounds, and then figure out what letter they represent.
For example, you kiddo draws the card with the picture of a pig on it.
First, have the child say the name of the picture. (pig)
Next, have them make the beginning letter sound. (pppppp)
If they don’t automatically identify it, you can follow up with prompting them to tell you what letter the “pppp” sound represents.
Now, have them find that letter.
Continue with the vowel and then the final consonant.
Finally, finish up with either helping them or modeling how to sound out the word.
Have fun practice spelling and reading CVC words with your young ones.
FREE CVC Words Printables
- Short o Words cvc Cut and paste Printable
- Short E CVC Words Booklet
- Short a CVC Word Book
- CVC Words Activity with bricks
- 25 Fun CVC Activities
- CVC Middle Sounds Clip Cards
- CVC Word Puzzles Free Printable
- Crack the Code CVC Words Printable
- Crayon CVC Words Activity
Don’t miss all our free first grade worksheets and our other printable worksheets for prek-12th grade students. We have free printable math worksheets, english worksheets, history for kids, cool science experiments, and even fun activities for kids to go with every season and holiday throughout the year!
Valentines Day Activities
Looking for more fun Valentines Day Worksheets and printables to make learning fun? Check out these resources:
- Chocolate Box Preschool Valentines Activities with Sight words – this fun matching activity is a great way for prek / k students to practice identifying and reading key sight words.
- Parts of Speech Valentines Day Worksheets – perfect for February, this valentines day activity is a great way for kids to practice sorting noun, verb, and adjective Valentines.
- Rhyming Valentines cut and paste printables – these heart workshets are a fun way for kids to practice identifying rhyming words
- CVC Words Valentines Day Worksheets– students will have fun practicing the sounds letters make while building CVC words with alphabet conversation hearts
- Valentine sight word coloring pages – kids will have fun reading and gaining fluency with key sight words while revealing these mystery pictures
- Valentines Day Sight Words Mats – super cute, low prep activity for practicing bulding sight words
- Roses are Red Poem Rhyming Puzzles – Valentines rhymes for kids
- Valentine’s day spelling – this is such a fun spelling activity for Valentines day with kids of all ages
- Letter Writing Kit – the free printable stationary for Valentiens Day is a great way to work on writing skills in February.
- Short i word Mats with Valentines Day Worksheets – super cute and fun, hands on activity to help kids practice short i words
- Febraury Writing Prompts Calendar – give kids ideas to encourage lots of writing practice with this free printable
- February Writing Prompts – print off these writing prompts that containt different sized lines for K-4th graders
Valentines Day Math
- Valentine’s Day Math Craft – students will have fun practicing addition and subtraction within 10 while making this super cute cut and paste math craft
- Valentines Day Color by Number – students will reveal hidden pictures as they color by number and work on number recognition
- Free Valentine’s day math worksheets – kindergartners will have fun practicing numbers to 100 while they reveal hidden images with these Valentines Day coloring pages
- Valentine’s Day measuring worksheets – no prep worksheets for helping upper elementary age kids with learing measurement
- Valentines Day Roll & Cover – this fun activity is a great way for kids to work on number sense
- Happy Valentines Day Mouse Hundreds Chart Coloring Pages
- Color by Hundreds Chart Valentines Day Worksheets
- Fun Valentines Day Math working on estimating with kids
- Valentiens Day Symmetry for Kids – kids will have fun learning about symmetry with these drawing prompts.
- Valentines Day Color by Odd and Even Numbers Worksheets
Download Valentines Day Short I Word Mats
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.