Looking for a fun activity to help kids practice vowels? These free Vowel Printables help kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd graders work on short vowel and long vowels while having fun putting together vowel puzzles. This vowel activities will have your children having fun sorting pictures by their long and short vowel sounds.
Make learning to identify short vowels and long vowels in words FUN with this hands on literacy activity for kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. This vowel printable is a hands-on vowel activities for differentiating Short and Long Vowel sounds. The pack includes 30 vowel puzzles, covering all five short vowels (short a, short e, short i, short o, short u) and all five long vowels (long a, long e, long i, long o, long u).
Each short and long vowel has three different puzzles for students to match.
It is recommended that you print these on cardstock and laminate prior to use. This will allow you to reuse this printable year after year! Next cut out each puzzle. I always find it easiest to use a paper cutter to cut out all 30 puzzles first and then go back and cut the puzzles out with scissors.
Short vowel games
Students will start this activity by placing all of the puzzles pieces on the floor or table. A student will first choose a long or short vowel puzzle piece. This student chose a “Long U” puzzle piece.
Vowel activities for kindergarten
Next, the student sorted through all of the puzzle pieces looking for a picture puzzle piece that had a “Long I”. Once they put the pieces together, the puzzle piece is done.
Teaching Vowels Activities
As they complete each puzzle, they will set it to the side so that they have enough room to complete the remaining puzzles.
Long Vowel Games
They will continue to follow these steps until all puzzles are complete!
Differentiating Short and Long Vowel Puzzles
If you think that your students would be overwhelmed with all 60 puzzle pieces at once, start small. You can give them only one long vowel and short vowel option, instead of three. You can also break it up by having students sort through only short vowels or long vowels. As they master those, you can slowly add in more.
looking for more fun vowel activities and resources to make learning to read and spell words fun? Check these out!
- Missing Vowels Clip Cards are a fun way for kindergartners and first grade students to practice adding in the missing vowel sounds
- Practice adding short and long vowels to word with these no-prep Vowels Worksheets
- Practice matching vowels sounds to clipart with these puzzles featuring Kindergarten Vowels
- Make practicing FUN with this cute short vowel games or use this long vowel games
- Grab these super cute CVC word puzzles free printable
- Handy Long Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- MIssing Sound Clip Cards Vowel Activities
- Practice adding short a words with this cut and paste activity for kids
- Long a vowel clip cards
- Short e words printable book for practicing adding the e vowel
- Cut and Paste short i words mini book
- Short i words Printable sight word reader for kids to practice reading short i words
- Cute Bunny Short i words puzzles are a fun way for kids to practice listening for the short i sound in words this spring!
- Work on short o words with this cut and paste booklet for kids to read, build, and write
- Cut and paste short u cvc words printable book for practicing adding the u vowel
- Printable vowel activities for kindergarten
- See all our Vowels activities here
FREE CVC Words Printables
- Short i cvc worksheets cut and paste pdf
- Short E CVC Words Booklet
- Crack the Code CVC Word Worksheets
- Short a CVC Word Book
- CVC Words Activity with bricks
- 25 Fun CVC Activities
- CVC Middle Sounds Clip Cards
- CVC Word Puzzles Free Printable
- Crack the Code CVC Words Printable
- Crayon CVC Words Activity
1st grade worksheets
Looking for more fun and free first grade math resources? You will love these FREE printables for 1st grade math:
- Pumpkin Math Activity
- Math Mysteries – Addition and Subtractin Math Puzzles
- Tic-Tac-Toe Addition Math Game
- Bubble Gum Math Worksheets for 1st Graders
- Spring Addition Math Game
- Solve and Stamp Math Worksheets
- Clever Addition Mini Book
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Chapter Books for 1st Graders
- 1st Grade Book Report Template
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Printable Sight Words List
- First Grade Word Search Printable
- Free printable 1st grade math worksheets
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Download Vowels Puzzles
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.