Rubberband Pumpkin Craft for Kids
This has got to be my favorite fall craft we’ve ever made. It is perfect for my 2nd grader who is ready for a little more involved crafts than my preschoolers or toddler are. But it can easily be adapted to be a preschool craft too.
- wood (6-8″ x 4-5″ tall
- green spray paint (optional)
- black sharpie
- 30 nails (with large head)
- pumpkin cookie cutter
- orange rubberbands
You will need a scrap piece of wood. If you don’t have a pile laying around like we do, pop over to Home Depot and ask. They cut would down there and often times have little scraps like this you can have for free. You only need it to be slightly bigger than your pumpkin cookie cutter – so probably 6-8” wide by 4-6” tall.
Hint: If you are worried about destroying your cookie cutter you can wrap it in foil or just pick up a new cookie cutter from Goodwill.
You will want them spaced about every 1” and make sure they are sticking up about 1”. Depending on the age of your kids, this is a great activity to introduce elementary age kids to working with tools. But if you have Toddler, Preschool, or Kindergarten age kids you will want to do the hammering yourself. Always make sure to use caution when working with tools.
Once you have nails around the perimeter of the pumpkin it is time to start using those little finger muscles to add rubber bands. Put the orange rubberbands from one nail to another in a variety of orientations and lengths.
Keep adding lots of rubberbands until you have a thick layer with lots of crisscrossing.
Finally add a small strip of felt to look like a stem. The contrast with the flat texture of the felt looks stunning next to the rubberbands. It was such a fun project to make for my 2nd grade son appealing to his growing skill level and interest in Daddy’s tools too! Plus it is one of the neatest looking projects I think we’ve done. It’s a keeper for sure.
More Fun Fall for Kids
- 35 Turkey Crafts for Kids
- Thankful Turkey Hand Art
- Turkey Pot Pie Recipes
- What to Make for Thanksgiving Dinner (includes menu, timeline, recipes, and printable shopping list)
- Thanksgiving Color by Number FREE Printable
- Thanksgiving Hand art Turkey T-shirt Craft for Kids
- Edible Animal Cells Science FUN!
- Reading the Easy Way – 1st Grade (8 weeks to mastering key sight words using 5 games, fun worksheets like color by sight word, printable readers, and more!)
- 10,000+ pages of Worksheets for Kids (arranged by subject and grade)