Kids will love eating this summer snack that looks like a sandcastle, but tastes like a yummy ice cream novelty. This sandcastle activity for kids is a quick and easy summer snack for kids! You will used a clean sandcastle mold, ice cream, vanilla wafers, and assorted candy to decorate. This is an EPIC beach activity your kids will be talking about for years to come. So add this fun idea to your bucket list to make (and eat) this summer activity for kids!
Summer Activity for Kids
I made this super simple summer snack for my kids. It was a HUGE hit! With how cool this looks you won’t believe how simple it is to make! All you need to make this summer snack for preschoolers is a sancastle mold, ice cream, vaniall or graham crackers, and assorted candy to decorate your creation. This is one of those summer activities my kids still talk about! You’ve got to put this on your summer bucket list for kids and add this idea to your beach theme or summer theme with your toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, grade 4, grade 5,and grade 6 kiddos.
All you need are a few simple ingredients to make this really fun summer dessert!
- vanilla ice cream – slightly softened
- 1 box of vanilla wafers – any brand
- non-stick spray (like Pam)
- clean sandcastle mold
- candy for decorations
- shovel – optional, for eating
Sandcastle Activity for Kids
Start out with a CLEAN sand castle mold. You can wash one you own with soap and water or get a new one from the Traget dollar ($5) section and wash it out as well. Any size or shape will work.
Set out your ice cream to allow it to soften slightly while you prepare the sandcastle mold.
Now spray the inside of the DRY container with non-stick PAM cooking spray. Make sure to get all sized and the bottom.
Now crush a box of vanilla wafers – any brand. I like to put them in in my food processor to get them nice and finely crushed within seconds, but you can also put them in a sealed ziplock bag and carefully crush them with a rolling pin if you prefer.
Dump a handful in your prepared sand castle mold.
Summer Activity for Kids
Now rotate your ice crem mold around and back and forth to completly coer the bottom, sides, and ridgest inside the sandcastle.
Summer Snack for Preschoolers
Scoop in the ice cream. Do not stir or move back and forth as it would disrupt the sand vanill wafers. Simply keep plopping more ice cream in.
Press down and smooth on the top to remove any empty pockets and add ice cream as needed to have a nice full sand castle container. Now freeze completely. We made ours the day before, but you could make it in the morning and have it ready for an afternoon snack no problem.
Ice Cream Activities
Turn the sandcastle upside down on a plate and pop out the the molded ice cream covered in vanilla wafer sand.
HINT: Tug on the edgest to help it slide out smoothly. Having trouble, allow it to sit a couple minutes. Still having issues, you could dip the outside (not ice cream top) in a sink of warm water to loosen the edges. We never needed any help but to pop it right out by loosening the edges. SUPER EASY!
Feel free to add extra handfulls of vanilla wafer cookie sand around the castle or to add more to your delicious sandcastle creation.
Summer Bucket List for Kids
Now it’s time to decorate your sandcastle. You will want to have all your candy decorations ready to go as this is an ice cream dessert so you don’t have an indefinete amount of time to decorate. LOL! WE used kit kat pieces, M&M, etc.
Summer Desserts for Kids
Now it’s time to dive in to this super cute and FUN summer snack or summer dessert for kids!
Ice Cream Dessert
For as cute as it is, you wouldn’t expect it would taste so yummy. But it is delicious! Such a fun, outrageously cute, and memorable summer activity for kids! This is a must add to your summer bucket list ideas!
Depening on the size of the mold, this will be a family beach snack or a sandcastle snack to share with friends or a large family gathering! This is so fun and MEMORABLE!
- Disolving Seashell Activities – a Summer Science Experiment
- Free Beach Worksheets for Preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1
- FREE Ocean Coloring Pages
- Super Simple Sand Slime
- Fun to play with Ocean Slime
- Huge Ocean Unit (250+ pages)
- Ocean Color by Number Worksheets
- Crack the Code Worksheets with ocean themed pages
- Under the Sea Lego Challenge Printables
- more ocean activities for kids
- Sandcastle Subtraction Craft
- Fun Sandcastle Letter Matching – Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Hands-on Sandcastle Colour Matching Activities
- Sandcastle Letter tracing Activity
- Summer Sandcastle Count and Trace Numbers 1-10 Printable Activity
- Sandcastle Number Playdough Mats to count and trace
- Summer STEAM – Sandcastle engineering with tp rolls
- Ice Cream Sandcastle Summer Snack Idea
- Sand Bucket & Shovel Letter Matching – Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Sand Volcano – EASY Summer Science Experiment for Kids
- Beach Summer Experiment with a Density Tower
Ice Cream Activities
If you are looking for more ice cream activities to add to your ice cream theme of summer learning, check these out!
- Kids will go nuts over this edible ice cream sand castle summer snack for kids
- AMAZING, Edible ice cream play doh recipe that scoops like ice creaam!
- Ice Cream Themed, Summer Bucket List Ideas
- Color Matching Activity for your Ice Cream Theme
- Simple Ice Cream Coloring Pages pdf
- Fun and EASY How to Make ice cream in a bag science experiment worksheet
- 2 ingredient Gummy Bear Popsicles are so COLORFUL and EASY!
- Try our delicious and EASY How to make homemade ice cream
- TONS of cute Ice Cream Craft Preschool
- EPIC Ice Cream Volcano
- Cute I Spy I spy ice cream
- Ice Cream Handprint Craft for toddler and preschool kids
- Simple Ice Cream craft using washi tape for toddlers, preschoolers and kindergartners.
- Bubble Wrap and Puffy Paint Ice Cream craft
- Ice Cream Name Craft with free printable template
- Simple, free printable Ice Cream Coloring Pages
Ice Cream Printables
- Work on tracing letter with these free Alphabet ice cream handwriting paper
- Delicious Alphabet Ice Cream alphabet printable Puzzles to help kids practice matching upper and lowercase letters
- Check out these Alphabet Mats for your Ice Cream Theme
- Free printable Alphabet Popsicles matching capital and lowercase letters nad beginning sounds too
- Trace the Letters on the Alphabet Popsicles in this fun letter tracing
- Match the upper and lowercase letter puzzles in this free ice cream game
- Kids will love building their ABCs with these popsicle stick letters free template
Ice Cream Theme
- Ice Cream Compound Word Puzzles or this other set of ice cream compound words
- Practice adding Ice Cream scoop endings to words with this word endings worksheets and activity
- Printable Digraph Activities for first grade scooping Ice Cream
- Cut and paste sentences ice cream worksheets
- Popsicle Rhyme and Dab Summer Literacy Activity for Pre-k and Kindergarten
Ice Cream Worksheets
- Ice Cream Scoop Pattern Activity
- Make practicing math fun with these fun Ice Cream Worksheets
- Count to 10 free printable ice cream counting printable math craft
- Popsicle counting – free printable number sense puzzles
- Number Popsicles – count to 10 clip cards are a fun
- Scoop pom-pom ice cream and count 1-10 with this ice cream counting printable
- Ice Cream Worksheets Preschool – count and trace to ten
- Count to 20 as you build with your free printable ice cream sundae template
- Ice Cream Math Game Book Based Activity for Kindergartners
- Practice completing patterns with this FUN ice cream pattern printable and activity for kids
- Hands-on Addition with this Ice Cream Math task cards using playdough!
- Free Printable Ice Cream Playdough Mats to learn shapes
- Popsicle Shape Sorting Printable Free
Ice Cream Math
Looking for more fun ways to learn this summer with popsicle themed activities? You will love these free printables:
- Free Printable Ice Cream Math Worksheets
- Practice adding to 1o with this cute Make 10 Ice Cream Cut and Paste Activity
- Popsicle Division Puzzles with printable popsicle puzzles makes practicing math FUN
- Or scoop a sunday with this Place Value Ice Cream for grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students
- Free Printable Place Value Ice Cream Cone